SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

12 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Little brother is funny. NDSU has thee most insecure fan base I’ve ever seen. Must be old wounds from being the little AC or something.

Oh come on.  We scrape the manure from our boots almost every time we go in the house.

As far as message board conversations go, this is an interesting one, but I have a question.

Are people questioning NDSU's scheduling methods for the sake of calling out inconsistencies in the fan-base's language of "no one will play us" or are people somehow suggesting that NDSU's strength of schedule hasn't been up to par. If it's the first, then I don't know the details that go one behind the scenes of who we've tried to schedule or who we haven't. But if it's the second one then I would suggest everyone take a huge step back and look at NDSU's schedule or the past 7 years and take an objective view of the overall difficulty of their schedule. 

There wasn't one year that NDSU "avoided" someone on the way to their championship so I hope that isn't what is being suggested by questioning NDSU's scheduling methods. 

25 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

As far as message board conversations go, this is an interesting one, but I have a question.

Are people questioning NDSU's scheduling methods for the sake of calling out inconsistencies in the fan-base's language of "no one will play us" or are people somehow suggesting that NDSU's strength of schedule hasn't been up to par. If it's the first, then I don't know the details that go one behind the scenes of who we've tried to schedule or who we haven't. But if it's the second one then I would suggest everyone take a huge step back and look at NDSU's schedule or the past 7 years and take an objective view of the overall difficulty of their schedule. 

There wasn't one year that NDSU "avoided" someone on the way to their championship so I hope that isn't what is being suggested by questioning NDSU's scheduling methods. 

What's being suggested is that NDSU should have scheduled UND to a home and home deal years ago instead of acting in what it considered to be its own best interest.

20 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

What's being suggested is that NDSU should have scheduled UND to a home and home deal years ago instead of acting in what it considered to be its own best interest.

Why on earth would we drag our fans to GF if we don't get anything in return?  (Except 400 rushing yards and reps for the 2's and 3's.)

I'll keep asking the question - in who's interest should NDSU act?  

54 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

There was talk about cup cakes and TX saying that their scheduling is a challenge. It's a challenge because you try screw over the opponant in the negotiation, I understad why your AD is doing that, but to come hear and complain about it being a challange to schedule is where the stir begins. Again it's self inflicting. 

We're not really in a position good position this season, but we'll be back. Once we're in the Valley, we'll play a conference schedule and this will be remote, with UND anyway. We will have days like this on other topics, where a barrel of words will be typed in an hour. Looking forward to that!

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

Some are complaining about NDSU because it’s what they do. I wish we would have 6 home games a year personally. Don’t hear anyone complaining that the hockey team never returns the trip to Manitoba.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Some are complaining about NDSU because it’s what they do. I wish we would have 6 home games a year personally. Don’t hear anyone complaining that the hockey team never returns the trip to Manitoba.

You're the Voice of Reason my friend.

All one needs to do is look at ndsu's schedule last year, some years the schedule is tough, some years not so much.  The only reason people are poo pooing the bison schedule here is because five or six posters on here see und' s season as a disappointment and need to lash out any way they can to either feel relevant, or better about themselves in some weird way.

1 hour ago, Gothmog said:

Well truth be known that offer was on the table but your boy Faison Demanded that the game be played every year.  The rest is history.  :lol:

2 minutes ago, Texas rancher said:

All one needs to do is look at ndsu's schedule last year, some years the schedule is tough, some years not so much.  The only reason people are poo pooing the bison schedule here is because five or six posters on here see und' s season as a disappointment and need to lash out any way they can to either feel relevant, or better about themselves in some weird way.

Not really man, everyone knows you have your machine rolling and try and do a hard negotiation on your schedule to get the $. But teams get offended with the greed.

But, to come on here and complain that it's so difficult to schedule is bound to get some grief.

25 minutes ago, Texas rancher said:

If we had 5 wins right now nobody would care about NDSU's strength of schedule even though it's not exactly strong like it was last year.

32 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

If we had 5 wins right now nobody would care about NDSU's strength of schedule even though it's not exactly strong like it was last year.

I think there is an argument to be had that the 2016 strength of schedule did us few favors by the end of the season.  

3 hours ago, Bison06 said:

I think it's more of a product of the complaining that "no one will play us" without the understanding or acknowledgement that NDSU's scheduling philosophy is a part of the problem, especially when you want to make the claim on a UND board. The math just doesn't work out for NDSU to do what it wants and consistently play home/homes, which are much easier to book than money games or FBS games, both of which I agree NDSU is having trouble getting for different reasons (don't want to overpay and FBS teams aren't willing to pay enough for it to be worth NDSU's while or don't want to deal with NDSU in general). Obviously the SOS of is going to vary from year to year; last year was a tough one, though slightly inadveratadly as Charleston Southern replaced a cupcake game late in the scheduling process. But if you can't offer that to other schools and you don't want to pay significant dollars to bring teams in, then the byproduct of that is going to be an easier strength of schedule. It will be interesting to see what they ended up paying Davis and Poly for one-off games. This year, I'm not sure how the conference schedule lined up for NDSU the way it did this year, but it gave them 4 out of their first 5 games as incredibly easy, as evidenced by the 20th easiest schedule out of 254 Division 1 schools to date. No doubt it gets significantly harder from here on out.

I don't think NDSU dodged anyone but they have definitely had the advantage of playing every game in the Fargodome, which was earned through the regular season. The scheduling philosophy is set up to help with that. And for the record, I don't buy the "they have a better record on the road" argument. Lots of NDSU fans can't stop bragging about how hard the crowd makes it to play in the Fargodome, you can't have it both ways.

• Upvote 2

Sure.  On one side, there is the "iron sharpens iron" idea.  Good competition makes everybody better.  But 12 games of running into a wall wears on a team.  The Bison were a little worn down by the JMU game last game.  

*I'm not making excuses.  They were better and beat us at home.  Just a conversation.

35 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I think it's more of a product of the complaining that "no one will play us" without the understanding or acknowledgement that NDSU's scheduling philosophy is a part of the problem, especially when you want to make the claim on a UND board. The math just doesn't work out for NDSU to do what it wants and consistently play home/homes, which are much easier to book than money games or FBS games, both of which I agree NDSU is having trouble getting for different reasons (don't want to overpay and FBS teams aren't willing to pay enough for it to be worth NDSU's while or don't want to deal with NDSU in general). Obviously the SOS of is going to vary from year to year; last year was a tough one, though slightly inadveratadly as Charleston Southern replaced a cupcake game late in the scheduling process. But if you can't offer that to other schools and you don't want to pay significant dollars to bring teams in, then the byproduct of that is going to be an easier strength of schedule. It will be interesting to see what they ended up paying Davis and Poly for one-off games. This year, I'm not sure how the conference schedule lined up for NDSU the way it did this year, but it gave them 4 out of their first 5 games as incredibly easy, as evidenced by the 20th easiest schedule out of 254 Division 1 schools to date. No doubt it gets significantly harder from here on out.

I don't think NDSU dodged anyone but they have definitely had the advantage of playing every game in the Fargodome, which was earned through the regular season. The scheduling philosophy is set up to help with that. And for the record, I don't buy the "they have a better record on the road" argument. Lots of NDSU fans can't stop bragging about how hard the crowd makes it to play in the Fargodome, you can't have it both ways.

I don’t necessarily disagree with any of the above, but it’s not an opinion that NDSU has a better road record in the past 6 years than they do at home. They have both an unbelievable home-field advantage AND somehow have a better record away from that home field. 

I know it’s not a popular take around here, but NDSU has been virtually unbeatable everywhere, they just happen to lose slightly more at home than they do on the road.

Since 2011, NDSU has lost 7 football games. 5 have been in the FargoDome, 1 was at Montana and 1 was at UNI.

12 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I don’t necessarily disagree with any of the above, but it’s not an opinion that NDSU has a better road record in the past 6 years than they do at home. They have both an unbelievable home-field advantage AND somehow have a better record away from that home field. 

I know it’s not a popular take around here, but NDSU has been virtually unbeatable everywhere, they just happen to lose slightly more at home than they do on the road.

I buy all of that however I think they would have slipped up one or two more times in the playoffs if they would have had to travel during their streak. It is also fair to point out that it isn't an opinion that that since joining the FCS, NDSU's home playoff winning percentage (.947%, 18-1!!) is better than their winning percentage as a true road team (.500%, 1-1). That of course excludes neutral site games. :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

I buy all of that however I think they would have slipped up one or two more times in the playoffs if they would have had to travel during their streak. It is also fair to point out that it isn't an opinion that that since joining the FCS, NDSU's home playoffs winning percentage is better than their winning percentage as a true road team. That of course excludes neutral site games.

They definitely had some close ones during their playoff runs where any advantage the other team might have taken by being in their home stadium may  have tipped the scales the other way, but as you’ve conceded, playoff home games were earned so you can’t really fault NDSU for that.

Either way, if you look around the FCS landscape you don’t see a lot of OOC games bein played between “elite” schools in general. It’s not just NDSU. Take a look at JMU and SHSU and JSU or even Montana and EWU. They aren’t exactly lining up killers in their OOC schedule. Everybody schedules pretty similarly knowing their conference schedule is full of juggernauts and it’ll all work itself out in the end since FCS has a true playoff.

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I buy all of that however I think they would have slipped up one or two more times in the playoffs if they would have had to travel during their streak. It is also fair to point out that it isn't an opinion that that since joining the FCS, NDSU's home playoffs winning percentage is better than their winning percentage as a true road team. That of course excludes neutral site games.

And if a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass a hopin'.  And if Wentz doesn't hit Urzendowski in the NW endzone, the bunnies would have won.  And if Sheppard doesn't haul in a TD with two UNI defenders all over him, we would have been done.  And if Heagle didn't have 97.5 tackles vs. GA Southern.  And if Travis Beck hadn't ran that interception back in 2011.  Fake punt vs. Sam Houston.  Esley Thorton pick.  Etc, etc, etc.

I want to say something profound about creating your own luck but I'm not a poet.