SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

Trying to take an objective view of the Bison non-conference scheduling, it seems that they have it figured out...

FBS/Power 5 teams don't schedule them after NDSU won the last 5 FBS games they played. Why pay someone $500k +- to have them come in and hurt your record/ranking?

they have scheduled home and home with a couple of the better FCS schools (Montana, EWU)

they can still sell out their almost 19,000+ seat FargDome playing cupcakes and pay them very little, making home cupcake games profitable for the program

they get more home games and the gate receipts that go with them

they can pad their OOC record against those cupcakes

whether we like it or not, they instill a culture of winning

and, despite what some on here continue to post, they are a damn good football team year after year. I realize I am not walking to the beat of the SS.com drummer, but the reality of NDSU's FCS record is very good

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Trying to take an objective view of the Bison non-conference scheduling, it seems that they have it figured out...

FBS/Power 5 teams don't schedule them after NDSU won the last 5 FBS games they played. Why pay someone $500k +- to have them come in and hurt your record/ranking?

they have scheduled home and home with a couple of the better FCS schools (Montana, EWU)

they can still sell out their almost 19,000+ seat FargDome playing cupcakes and pay them very little, making home cupcake games profitable for the program

and, despite what some on here continue to post, they are a damn good football team year after year. I realize I am not walking to the beat of the SS.com drummer, but the reality of NDSU's FCS record is very good

There are only a couple posters on here who will try to say NDSU is not a good team. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, zonadub said:

This is spot-on.  Why in the hell would a team travel if they could stay home (next year we have 7 home games!) unless there was a significant $$ involved?  There are Simple Jacks on bisonville as well so I hope "you people" don't feel too bad about yourselves.  Focus on your own juggernaut of a schedule.  

22 minutes ago, southpaw said:

I don't care what point he is trying to make by excluding the FBS games.  However, to only play 4 road games against FCS opponents in 9 is pretty astounding.

20 minutes ago, zonadub said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This!

Plus--We do have a scheduling philosophy of having 6 home games Plus 1 FBS if possible.

The FBS game has been difficult as of late but have Colorado, Oregon and Arizona coming up.

You were on point about trying to get teams to schedule us. Extremely difficult.

29 minutes ago, southpaw said:

I don't care what point he is trying to make by excluding the FBS games.  However, to only play 4 road games against FCS opponents in 9 is pretty astounding.

I think he it trying to make a point on OOC games what ever that may be?????? :silly: because we do go on the road for valley play.

17 minutes ago, zonadub said:

And despite what they have accomplished over the past 6 years, it doesn't change the fact that four out of their first five games were against teams that would struggle to beat the top teams in the NSIC. If they want to continue to b!tch and moan about how soft our schedule is, then they should expect the same treatment from us. I don't go on Bisonville and make comments like that, but if they want to come here and do that, then they should expect some backlash. And that is what they will get from me.

There is a sense from their fan base that nobody will come within three touchdowns of them from now to Frisco. Obviously, that notion will be tested as they move into the meat of the MVFC schedule. If they can run the table in the regular season, the quality of their first five teams won't matter to me or anyone else. But to say it is wrong to point out the softness of their schedule so far is pure hogwash. It is a legitimate point and legitimate topic of conversation. And if it was UND with NDSU's schedule, I would say the same thing.

It is almost like there is some unwritten rule that UND fans are not supposed to talk about certain things with regard to NDSU and that is pure horse@%^&. I'll bring up whatever I want with them. This is a rivalry and that is how rivalries work. I would rather walk barefoot on hot, molten glass than cheerlead for them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

And despite what they have accomplished over the past 6 years, it doesn't change the fact that four out of their first five games were against teams that would struggle to beat the top teams in the NSIC. If they want to continue to b!tch and moan about how soft our schedule is, then they should expect the same treatment from us. I don't go on Bisonville and make comments like that, but if they want to come here and do that, then they should expect some backlash. And that is what they will get from me.

There is a sense from their fan base that nobody will come within three touchdowns of them from now to Frisco. Obviously, that notion will be tested as they move into the meat of the MVFC schedule. If they can run the table in the regular season, the quality of their first five teams won't matter to me or anyone else. But to say it is wrong to point out the softness of their schedule so far is pure hogwash. It is a legitimate point and legitimate topic of conversation. And if it was UND with NDSU's schedule, I would say the same thing.

It is almost like there is some unwritten rule that UND fans are not supposed to talk about certain things with regard to NDSU and that is pure horse@%^&. I'll bring up whatever I want with them. This is a rivalry and that is how rivalries work. I would rather walk barefoot on hot, molten glass than cheerlead for them.

Good point.  I would much rather be 1-4 (and f'ing boat-raced in those losses) against good competition.  Solid, Dude.  Solid.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, zonadub said:

After Caption Cream Puff 2017 the team in Fargo has 7 homes games in 2018 and 6 home games plus one in Minneapolis in 2019, I don't even know what to say but there are the haves and the have nots in FCS.  The division and conference talked has cooled lately but it sure seems like 3 teirs of Division I is coming.

1 minute ago, TX Bison said:

Good point.  I would much rather be 1-4 (and f'ing boat-raced in those losses) against good competition.  Solid, Dude.  Solid.

Very funny. I am not suggesting you guys schedule two FBS money games and three games vs. Top 5 FCS teams. My point is that you don't prove anything by running up the score against teams like Mississippi Valley State. The meat of the MVFC schedule is coming up. That will tell us more about them.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gundy1124 said:

After Caption Cream Puff 2017 the team in Fargo has 7 homes games in 2018 and 6 home games plus one in Minneapolis in 2019, I don't even know what to say but there are the haves and the have nots in FCS.  The division and conference talked has cooled lately but it sure seems like 3 teirs of Division I is coming.

If this happens (Cratter thinks it never will), we better position ourselves in Tier II and not Tier III.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

First 5? Careful, one of those teams is gonna be the champion of your conference.

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

I said FOUR out of the first Five. Nice try though. And I think Montana State could challenge for the top of the BSC. It is not a lock that EWU will win it.

I watched MSU play PSU Saturday on Root and I think they have a lot of work left to do. They caught us at the right time and the game totally snowballed on us.

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Very funny. I am not suggesting you guys schedule two FBS money games and three games vs. Top 5 FCS teams. My point is that you don't prove anything by running up the score against teams like Mississippi Valley State. The meat of the MVFC schedule is coming up. That will tell us more about them.

But UND certainly has proven something with a 2-4 schedule against quality opponents.  And yes, the meat of the MVFC schedule is coming.  And yes, we'll have tight games just like we always do.  And maybe even lose one.  And if/when we make another deep playoff run, you will still be running your fun hole about our weak OOC schedule.  

• Downvote 2

Just now, TX Bison said:

But UND certainly has proven something with a 2-4 schedule against quality opponents.  And yes, the meat of the MVFC schedule is coming.  And yes, we'll have tight games just like we always do.  And maybe even lose one.  And if/when we make another deep playoff run, you will still be running your fun hole about our weak OOC schedule.  

Where did he say UND is looking great this year?

• Upvote 1

Just now, TX Bison said:

Our season is shot. All I want is for our young guys to get some quality reps and real game experience. And if you make a deep playoff run, I will not continue talking about your OOC schedule. I believe I said that earlier. You obviously didn't read all of it.

28 minutes ago, bison73 said:

You were on point about trying to get teams to schedule us. Extremely difficult.

NDSU has a hard time getting FBS games and buying cheaper money home games, however I don't buy that NDSU would have a hard time scheduling home/homes with other FCS schools. For their own various reasons/guidelines, they choose not to do it very often, but lumping that in with the other two and claiming that agreeing to those deals is extremely difficult is BS.

14 minutes ago, TX Bison said:

UND would be sitting at 4-1 at worst if they had NDSU's first half schedule. NDSU will obviously fair better through the second half of their schedule than UND would, even more so given the current state of UND's roster, but doesn't change how they were set up to have a very favorable front half. Remains to be seen whether that helps or hurts them in the long run.

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I said FOUR out of the first Five. Nice try though. And I think Montana State could challenge for the top of the BSC. It is not a lock that EWU will win it.

Damn, read it too fast, thought I had you there

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

NDSU has a hard time getting FBS games and buying cheaper money games, however I don't buy that NDSU would have a hard time scheduling home/homes with other FCS schools. For their own various reasons/guidelines, they choose not to do it very often.

UND would be sitting at 4-1 if they had NDSU's first half schedule. NDSU will obviously fair better through the second half of their schedule than UND would, but doesn't change how they were set up to have a very favorable front half. Remains to be seen whether that helps or hurts them in the long run.

1.  If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, then every day would be Christmas.

2.  Why do people insist that everything is a set-up?  Like our loss to JMU last year, like losing Menard?  Conspiracy theories don't look good on anyone.

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

You keep bringing up UND and its record, when the discussion is ndsu and its weak schedule.  This thread is for non-UND FCS discussion.

Yeah.  That's what happened.  Like when I said "if we had NDSU's schedule, we'd be 4-1 right now?"

5 minutes ago, TX Bison said:

1.  If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, then every day would be Christmas.

2.  Why do people insist that everything is a set-up?  Like our loss to JMU last year, like losing Menard?  Conspiracy theories don't look good on anyone.

Just pointing out the difference in schedule to date. UND beat the 2nd toughest team on NDSU's schedule to date 34-0.

Not sure what you're talking about conspiracy theories for? Just pointing out how the schedule is set up in two very different halves, is it not? First half (outside of EWU, who's head coach was still thinking they should try running more instead of airing it out) was very easy, literally the 20th easiest schedule out of 254 in Division 1. Second half is looking to be very tough. Last year the claim was the OOC was too tough and the team was beat up (but definitely not as an excuse ;)). We'll see if an easier first half and then a second half gauntlet works better for them.