SiouxSports.com Forum

The Actual Voting Process Announced

The Sicatoka

I am satisfied with the voting process.  Lots of mistakes were made in the process, but at least they got the voting process right.  The big thing was eliminating the right to vote to any North Dakota citizen.  That would have been a disaster.  I think the list of voters eligible is exactly correct.  I also like the second-round voting with the top-two vote-getters.  That will insure that a nickname can't be chosen with a small plurality of the vote.  

As for the no-nickname not being an option, that was entirely foreseeable.  I never thought Kelley would allow that.  I just wish he had scrapped it from the very beginning of the process.  In any event, I'm ready to move on.  I just pray that Sundogs does not somehow win the voting process.  I'm voting for Roughriders.

Voting process seems fine....wish we had a few more good nicknames to choose from though...

Announcing this on Friday is just plain chicken sh*t.  Friday announcements are always about trying to hide things.  Kelley placates the no nickname crowd for a month, but then back stabs them later.  What a joke!

Maybe he talked to all 7 of them in the park last weekend.  

Edited by homer
  • Upvote 1

The sh1at show continues at UND!  I can't wait until Kelley is gone.  Talk about pulling off the bandaid as slow as possible for the people who wanted to stay just North Dakota.  I have know idea what to vote for at this point.  Here is my perspective on the options I have.

Roughriders - A forum favorite by those that wanted a new nickname for the sake of having a new nickname at all costs.  I don't like it because it already exists in Grand Forks.  Unique?  Nope.  Not to mention the CFL football team and the prophylactic brand!

North Stars - Not embrassed here because of the use by the state of Minnesota.  Ironically the Roughrider supporters haven no problem with the double standard with the use of Roughriders.  Unique?  More so then Roughriders as there really isn't any local or regional ties to the North Star name as it relates to a sports team.

Green Hawks - A great use of a marketing consultant to come up with this one.  What did Miami (OH) do?  What are the school colors?  Red, Ok we're the Red Hawks.  UND.  What are the school colors?  Green, Ok we're the Green Hawks. Maybe if the Bison name gets booted because it has been deemed a sacred symbol to NA's they could become the Yellow Hawks?  Unique? Maybe.  Original, you can't be any more unoriginal.

Nodaks - As a native North Dakotan, this is borderline deragatory.  I don't get offended by anyone calling me a Nodak, but I have not and hopefully never will have to idenify myself by this name.  Unique? I guess, except for the electric cooperative that uses the name.

Sundogs - When I first started saying that this was a possibility years ago, and that was one of the reasons I wanted to stay North Dakota people on this board blasted me saying there was no chance this was going to be the nickname.  Fast forward until now and here we are with this laughable name as a finalist.  Unique? Very.  Identifiable to the area? Yep.  Lame as hell?  Undoubtably!

So here are my options.  I sure have the warm fuzzy feeling about a new nickname.  

We do have a North Stars team in town already. 

I hope we don't end up with any hanging chads. I can already see someone or some group claiming that the results aren't accurate and we end up with a drawn out recount process that results in a complete revote. :blink: 

Anything to drag this out longer. 

Edited by dakotadan

Not sure why the SWSiouxMN is showing up here. 

The point I want to ask is - if I haven't received an email from UND today does that mean they don't have my email address. I find that hard to believe since I get a phone call about every three months "just to make sure we have your current contact information" followed by a request for money.

By the way has anyone received their Champions Club membership cards yet? 

Alumni, donors, season ticket holders, etc. Check your email that the University has on file. I checked my personal email and the alumni association sent out the initial email this afternoon. If you received the email you are eligible to vote. 

Yep.  I received the email at 3:15.  Seems like Kelleys decision was made some time ago regarding North Dakota option.  Just chose to drag it out for some reason.

Yep.  I received the email at 3:15.  Seems like Kelleys decision was made some time ago regarding North Dakota option.  Just chose to drag it out for some reason.

I get it, you are not happy with the process. Most of us here were not happy with it either so get over yourself.

It is time to move on. I will continue to identify as a Fighting Sioux but I will do all that I can to ensure that we dont have a nickname such as sundogs. 

Exactly.  For all the things they botched in this process, I think they nailed the voting protocol.  They eliminated the average ND citizen who doesn't have a personal tie to UND (including vindictive NDSU fans).  And when it comes to those of us with fan ties but not academic ties, they get more donations from people that care enough to want a vote.  I'd be surprised if UND doesn't see an uptick in donations in the next 3 days.

There may be a number of Fargo residents that feel a $3 donation is worth it to vote for the choice they deem the worst.  IMO they should've said as of last Friday, if you've donated, you're eligible.

Edited by Siouxphan27
  • Upvote 1

So let's assume that Roughriders will be 1 of the two that is in the final 2 for a vote.  So 1 of the other 4 will join it in the final vote.  Is there a risk of having too many people vote for Roughriders while not reaching 50% and having SunDogs be up against it in the finals.  Is there a way to vote in a way to get the 2 most acceptable names in the final 2.  For instance if a person wanted Roughriders, but could live with the Fighting Hawks it isn't unreasonable for them to vote for their 2nd choice to hurt the cause of the other 3 choices.  Sorry for the confusing reply, but I do enjoy reading the boards even if I don't post often. 

So let's assume that Roughriders will be 1 of the two that is in the final 2 for a vote.  So 1 of the other 4 will join it in the final vote.  Is there a risk of having too many people vote for Roughriders while not reaching 50% and having SunDogs be up against it in the finals.  Is there a way to vote in a way to get the 2 most acceptable names in the final 2.  For instance if a person wanted Roughriders, but could live with the Fighting Hawks it isn't unreasonable for them to vote for their 2nd choice to hurt the cause of the other 3 choices.  Sorry for the confusing reply, but I do enjoy reading the boards even if I don't post often. 

You get only 1 vote. 

You get only 1 vote. 

I'm aware of that.  What I am saying is that if a person or group of people were so confident that Roughriders would advance to the final 2 they could in theory vote for another nickname in order to try block the ones that are deemed unacceptable.

I'm aware of that.  What I am saying is that if a person or group of people were so confident that Roughriders would advance to the final 2 they could in theory vote for another nickname in order to try block the ones that are deemed unacceptable.

If RR gets over 50% of the vote then there is no final 2. It's over

People are going to vote for the name they want.  By doing so, it will block out the other names from being under consideration.  That's how elections work.

IMO the worst part of this whole process was not managing the "no nickname" thing better.     I'm guessing Kelley thought it would just go away as the process played out but it really didn't.   But he should have had the balls to just pull the trigger from the get go and eliminate any chance that it turned into a cause.  Bad mistake.

Totally agree!

There may be a number of Fargo residents that feel a $3 donation is worth it to vote for the choice they deem the worst.  IMO they should've said as of last Friday, if you've donated, you're eligible.

I haven't inquired yet, but I'm guessing there's a minimum donation, and it's higher than $3.