SiouxSports.com Forum

Fargo fans mock, pity UND fans for having "Sundogs" as a finalist

johndahl

This quote in a letter to the Herald was particularly telling of how others see our predicament:

"What if this year at the Fargodome, the filled-to-capacity crowd had to cheer their returning national champions with something like “We are the Sundogs, the Mighty Mighty Sundogs”?"

The full letter (which isn't half bad) is posted at the Herald here:  http://www.grandforksherald.com/letters/3811321-letter-what-if-thats-question-und-fans

John

I don't personally know any Bison fans who mock the current situation with UND's nickname.  Most think that it's just unfortunate that it ever came to this.

That's fortunately been my experience as well.  Unfortunately, the letter to the Herald suggests the writer is hearing from both types.

I don't personally know any Bison fans who mock the current situation with UND's nickname.  Most think that it's just unfortunate that it ever came to this.

That's fortunately been my experience as well.  Unfortunately, the letter to the Herald suggests the writer is hearing from both types.

Why can't I run into more of those fans, instead of the "We can't wait to vote and make your team the Sundogs!  Sioux Suck! Hahahaha!" group that is chomping at the bit for a public vote?  Guess that's the curse of living in Fargo...

I know I'm in the minority, but Sundogs is actually starting to grow on me.  I think they could make a pretty cool uniform/logo concept.  Sure initially it sounds pretty lame, but once word gets out about what they actually are (not some Scooby Doo-ish cartoon), I don't think people would make fun of it or anything.  Is it fierce or as awesome as we want?  No.  Is it actually alright?  I'm starting to think so.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

I know I'm in the minority, but Sundogs is actually starting to grow on me.  I think they could make a pretty cool uniform/logo concept.  Sure initially it sounds pretty lame, but once word gets out about what they actually are (not some Scooby Doo-ish cartoon), I don't think people would make fun of it or anything.  Is it fierce or as awesome as we want?  No.  Is it actually alright?  I'm starting to think so.

......."looks up Sundogs in urban dictionary" "changes mind

• Upvote 2

I don't want to end up as another dog mascot... You and I know that isn't what a sundog is, but we also know that we would end up with a dog logo and/or mascot.

And that is something else not talked about, is what direction do they take Sundogs...animal or weather?

• Upvote 1

Main problem with "Sundogs" (besides the cutesy sUNDogs aspect) ...

The first to put the name out there was BRIDGES, the UND group that was the main force behind losing the old name and putting all of us through this. 

Nope, can't support it for that reason alone. 

Ding, ding, ding, We have a winner. Yep, If UND nickname ended up being the Sundogs, this wouldn't sit real well with a lot of fans. Actually, I am surprised that that horrible nickname choice made it this long.

Edited by Goon
  • Upvote 1

Why can't I run into more of those fans, instead of the "We can't wait to vote and make your team the Sundogs!  Sioux Suck! Hahahaha!" group that is chomping at the bit for a public vote?  Guess that's the curse of living in Fargo...

If Fargo is such a curse city to live in, why are there so many UND alumni living in Fargo? ???

So Fargo has doctors, lawyers, judges, pilots, ... 

< You made it so easy it had to be said. > 

And no other city besides Fargo has jobs for doctors, lawyers, judges,pilots...???  Fargo must not be that bad of city to live in. Sorry Sicatoka, that was easy also. 

• Downvote 1

And no other city besides Fargo has jobs for doctors, lawyers, judges,pilots...???  Fargo must not be that bad of city to live in. Sorry Sicatoka, that was easy also. 

I didn't say UND folks weren't in Bismarck, GF, Minot, etc, etc, in the same roles, did I? Fargo has need just as the rest.