SiouxSports.com Forum

Battle of the Popular (Vote!)

Cratter

The Shootout (Vote!)  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins the Popularity Contest?

• RoughRiders
    • No Nickname

....and the students have spoken.  This is going to be an interesting ending I believe.

Just for clarity, there were 3,262 responses sent in.  Not sure how many students the link went out to, but enrollment last year was 14,906.  Of those that responded, 68.3% said they wanted it included in the vote (not that they wanted it to be chosen, though there is most definitely overlap).  24.4% said no and 7.3% were unsure.

Before someone claims that this a referendum one way or another, something like 1/4-1/3 (at best) of students took the time to fill out the one question survey, meaning the majority didn't even bothered respond, let alone are in favor of adding "no nickname" back as an option. 

That being said, of those that responded, not real surprised by the results as you are likely going to have those that feel the strongest take the time to respond.

Also agree fully with your last statement.  Gave up on trying to predict what would happen next a long time ago.

Edited by jdub27

They vast majority of students will vote for remaining North Dakota 

The public vote will be the same or higher - depending on who gets to vote

Want this to get real ugly keep just North Dakota off the vote

Edited by Fetch
  • Upvote 2

Just for clarity, there were 3,262 responses sent in.  Not sure how many students the link went out to, but enrollment last year was 14,906.  Of those that responded, 68.3% said they wanted it included in the vote (not that they wanted it to be chosen, though there is most definitely overlap).  24.4% said no and 7.3% were unsure.

Before someone claims that this a referendum one way or another, something like 1/4-1/3 (at best) of students took the time to fill out the one question survey, meaning the majority didn't even bothered respond, let alone are in favor of adding "no nickname" back as an option. 

That being said, of those that responded, not real surprised by the results.

i am a little surprised of the number of responses in a short period (2 days).  Its telling but not telling.  guess we will see what happens at the end of the month when Kelley decides.... hopefully. 

Here is what I don't get about the student's always having such a big say.  Give them their 1/4 or 1/5 of the say, fine, but having them vote on whether names will be added is somewhat misguided, IMO.  They are going to leave campus in 1-4 years and never be a student again.  What will they become:  Alumni.   Just like the rest of us that spent 5 years on campus and then moved on with life.  These students are not staying there forever and thus having to live with the ramifications.  Nobody does really.

This is a long-term decision that needs to be made by all long-term stakeholders.  

So we should poll the elementary students who will have to live with this? And are you saying alumni vote doesn't matter either because we have moved on and don't live there anymore???

Edited by WiSioux

It's kind of odd how many people are quick to diminish the no nickname crowd as a simple, vocal minority as if there's some large contingent of pro-new nicknamers staying silent and waiting to come out of the woodwork for the public vote.

Let me know when there is some actual measure that has any sort of creditability released.  The survey done by UND last year gathering people's input was the closest I've seen (and is nowhere near qualifying).  The results showed the clear majority was ready to move on to a new nickname.  In the latest poll, the majority of students either didn't feel strong enough one way or another to bother to vote or they just don't care. 

Screw the ncaa I'd love to see this go to court again

Yeah, I'm sure they are the ones who would suffer.  Why not toss more money at this dumpster fire that was lost long ago and live under sanctions while continuing to look like a bunch of clowns?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That being said, of those that responded, not real surprised by the results as you are likely going to have those that feel the strongest take the time to respond.

Also agree fully with your last statement.  Gave up on trying to predict what would happen next a long time ago.

What is also worth noting is that when this all went down 10 years ago, these kids were not even in Jr High.  Not that I am calling todays UND students ignorant, but I highly doubt that they have been informed on ALL aspects of this issue over the past decade.  Uniformed voters are a dangerous thing. Just look at the last 2 presidential elections!! :) (but I will leave that topic alone)  

I think a more telling survey would be to ask for a 1-2 sentence telling why they voted the way they did.  Would be very telling and would give the truw motive of most voters. 

Edited by Siouxperfan7

So we should poll the elementary students who will have to live with this? And are you saying alumni vote doesn't matter either because we have moved on and don't live there anymore???

Did you read what I wrote?  Do it again, if so.

I said that current students seem to be brought up a lot in the discussion, like their say is more important than alumni.  Which they are going to become real soon.  

You guys need to work on your reading comprehension.  Just because people think North Dakota should be on the ballot doesn't mean they will necessarily vote for it.  I think it should be on the ballot because I think people deserve to have their voices heard.  It still might not even win, and the no nickname crowd would be more likely to move on if they lost a vote fair and square.

Edited by nodak651
  • Upvote 3

Screw the ncaa I'd love to see this go to court again

& this tme let the Attorney General go on vacation & perhaps The Sioux were Silenced folks can get enough support to get the best legal council to really expose the injustices 

Edited by Fetch

Let me know when there is some actual measure that has any sort of creditability released.  The survey done by UND last year gathering people's input was the closest I've seen (and is nowhere near qualifying).  The results showed the clear majority was ready to move on to a new nickname.  In the latest poll, the majority of students either didn't feel strong enough one way or another to bother to vote or they just don't care. 

Yeah, I'm sure they are the ones who would suffer.  Why not toss more money at this dumpster fire that was lost long ago and live under sanctions while continuing to look like a bunch of clowns?

when I was in college I would never check my email in the summer. If a student wasn't glued to the news or social media then they may have not seen the survey in time. This was actually a good turnout for the student body who normally do not show up in huge numbers for student government elections. 

when I was in college I would never check my email in the summer. If a student wasn't glued to the news or social media then they may have not seen the survey in time. This was actually a good turnout for the student body who normally do not show up in huge numbers for student government elections. 

I agree...plus sent two days ago, seems like an impressive turnout to me:ohmy:

But....don't take this moment from jdub, he is tickled. 

• Upvote 1

Expect this as a response "This survey is not an accurate representation of how the student body thinks. It is not random and those who prefer the name "North Dakota" would be more inclined to vote." The old sage says when you don't like the results of a survey question the methodology. 

Actually you could probably make the case that more than 70% of students don't care so why wouldn't you listen to the percentage that do.

Edited by CMSioux
  • Upvote 3

I still would like the NCAA officially on the record, actual document, as to their position on "no nickname" and potentialities that would flow from it. 

The closest we have is an email to Goon (using his media credentials) from a UND media guy recapping a phone call to an unnamed NCAA official saying how no nickname is OK ... but isn't OK if people start complaining about hearing the old name too much because there's no nickname. < insert Simone's statement about Ferris here > 

• Upvote 1

I still would like the NCAA officially on the record, actual document, as to their position on "no nickname" and potentialities that would flow from it. 

The closest we have is an email to Goon (using his media credentials) from a UND media guy recapping a phone call to an unnamed NCAA official saying how no nickname is OK ... but isn't OK if people start complaining about hearing the old name too much because there's no nickname. < insert Simone's statement about Ferris here > 

Yes, this is the credited response.

I agree, but why would they bother? They have no incentive to, they will continue to put the rope on the table and give UND the option to hang themselves if they so choose and leave their hands clean. Same thing they did with the Fighting Sioux nickname. 

So roughly 3 to 1, students that voted chose to keep North Dakota on the ballot.  but 3 out of 4 student representatives on the committee voted to take it off the ballot.  

"Government of the people, by the people.....meh, screw the people. 

Good representation huh? :)  I'm guessing I know what their majors are.  Also, young kids can be swayed so easily.