SiouxSports.com Forum

Battle of the Popular (Vote!)

Cratter

The Shootout (Vote!)  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins the Popularity Contest?

• RoughRiders
    • No Nickname

When reading these threads I usually find myself wanting to defend Sundogs.  Even though it's not my first choice, I get tired of hearing the exaggerated abuse it takes here.  Wouldn't be so bad if just one of you actually could explain specifically what is so bad about it.  Instead we are stuck with general terms like "lame" or "terrible."

Overcompensated bashing like this doesn't discredit Sundogs.  It makes it appear as a real threat.

Honestly, I detest the name Sundogs, and it has nothing to do with who likes it.  For all we, in this area, can tell people about what a sundog is, in the end it's a rainbow.  Yes, a cold weather rainbow, but a flipping rainbow, nonetheless.  I can't think of a single positive thing to say about a sports team that is represented by a rainbow, other than they are apparently secure with who they are as people.  You want to see athletics fizzle as recruits go elsewhere?  Name the team after a rainbow.

• Upvote 2

Honestly, I detest the name Sundogs, and it has nothing to do with who likes it.  For all we, in this area, can tell people about what a sundog is, in the end it's a rainbow.  Yes, a cold weather rainbow, but a flipping rainbow, nonetheless.  I can't think of a single positive thing to say about a sports team that is represented by a rainbow, other than they are apparently secure with who they are as people.  You want to see athletics fizzle as recruits go elsewhere?  Name the team after a rainbow.

University of Hawaii seems to do aright.  

Disclaimer:  I am not advocating for Sundogs. 

• Upvote 1

It was also the choice of B.R.I.D.G.E.S during the 1990's to early 2000's. 

• Upvote 1

University of Hawaii seems to do aright.  

Disclaimer:  I am not advocating for Sundogs. 

Hmmm, what does Hawaii offer that Grand Forks just can't quite match... ;)

Oh, and when was the last time you saw a Rainbow Warrior t-shirt/hoodie/jersey?  Don't blame regionality, either, as you see USC, UCLA, Florida, U of Miami, etc., on a regular basis.

Hmmm, what does Hawaii offer that Grand Forks just can't quite match... ;)

Oh, and when was the last time you saw a Rainbow Warrior t-shirt/hoodie/jersey?  Don't blame regionality, either, as you see USC, UCLA, Florida, U of Miami, etc., on a regular basis.

I have one and wear it proudly! :)  Waaarrrr-i-ors!!!!!!  Can you dig it!?

Here is what I don't get about the student's always having such a big say.  Give them their 1/4 or 1/5 of the say, fine, but having them vote on whether names will be added is somewhat misguided, IMO.  They are going to leave campus in 1-4 years and never be a student again.  What will they become:  Alumni.   Just like the rest of us that spent 5 years on campus and then moved on with life.  These students are not staying there forever and thus having to live with the ramifications.  Nobody does really.

This is a long-term decision that needs to be made by all long-term stakeholders.  

• Upvote 1