SiouxSports.com Forum

For one last time

Fetch

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

Which hockey only fans didn’t care about. They knew sanctions would only hurt the team when it came to playing Big 10 schools and wearing a logo-less jersey during the NCAA tournament. They didn’t care about the other sports not being able to host a playoff game, losing recruits, trouble with conference affiliation and teams threatening not to schedule us. The name is retired and has been for 6 years. We are the Fighting Hawks with the name on a championship banner and we have a logo that is now sparking mascot talk. After the DAPL incident would anyone want to deal with the Standing Rock tribal council....again?

Yes money talks nickname back

2 hours ago, moser53 said:

Yes money talks nickname back

We past that deadline to get their approval back in 2010, 8 fricken years ago. Standing Rock’s tribal let alone the NCAA is not going to say, “oh hell let’s go down that path again”. UND is remaining the Fighting Hawks.

2 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Our buddy Moser knows his stuff, he must heard something from the GOBC, city hall, or a state legislator. I expect Siouxner or later, we fans will hear about it?

Maybe it’s Al Carlson bringing this topic up again, his little state law was a bunch of garbage in the eyes of the NCAA. 

4 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Which hockey only fans didn’t care about. They knew sanctions would only hurt the team when it came to playing Big 10 schools and wearing a logo-less jersey during the NCAA tournament. They didn’t care about the other sports not being able to host a playoff game, losing recruits, trouble with conference affiliation and teams threatening not to schedule us. 

Swing and a miss again D76.  Even though somebody brought this topic back to life, you never miss a chance to get one last shot in there.   Congrats! :D

th?id=OIP.RfEZjxLejEx2OsUM6Kw3MwHaGG&pid=15.1&P=0&w=213&h=176

• Upvote 4

Just now, Blackheart said:

We will just have to agree to disagree.

I see it when I go on the UND hockey Facebook page, when I type Go Fighting Hawks, you would’ve thought I was a die hard Gophers fan. For some people it’s Fighting Sioux or nothing, I like the people who blame the name and logo for UND’s subpar hockey season. Those people are a riot.

2 hours ago, darell1976 said:

I see it when I go on the UND hockey Facebook page, when I type Go Fighting Hawks, you would’ve thought I was a die hard Gophers fan. For some people it’s Fighting Sioux or nothing, I like the people who blame the name and logo for UND’s subpar hockey season. Those people are a riot.

Like the idiots that said "hanging onto the Sioux name was a curse and that's why they didn't win one"? 

Hey pot....meet kettle!:lol:

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, bigskyvikes said:

Like the idiots that said "hanging onto the Sioux name was a curse and that's why they didn't win one"? 

Hey pot....meet kettle!:lol:

I haven’t heard that one. I know the last Sioux logo won just one national title and that was the 2001 football team. It took the Fighting Hawks name to finally bring a national title to the REA. Because names and logos have that much power.

7 hours ago, darell1976 said:

We past that deadline to get their approval back in 2010, 8 fricken years ago. Standing Rock’s tribal let alone the NCAA is not going to say, “oh hell let’s go down that path again”. UND is remaining the Fighting Hawks.

Are you saying I got it wrong?  Money talks nickname gone?

6 minutes ago, moser53 said:

Are you saying I got it wrong?  Money talks nickname gone?

Nickname was gone when AG Wayne Stenjeum agreed to two tribal approvals including Standing Rock who was vocal about dumping the name, especially from Ron His Horse is Thunder.

Nickname /logo have nothing to do with athletic success....it's talent and coaching, prolly in that order....that being said  it's tome for Al (I want to be governor, but it ain't happenin' )Carlson and the rest of the "Fighting Sue-sie" crowd to get over it...embrace the teams and university you profess to hold dear!!!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

I haven’t heard that one. I know the last Sioux logo won just one national title and that was the 2001 football team. It took the Fighting Hawks name to finally bring a national title to the REA. Because names and logos have that much power.

I rest my case..

59 minutes ago, John W. said:

Nickname /logo have nothing to do with athletic success....it's talent and coaching, prolly in that order....that being said  it's tome for Al (I want to be governor, but it ain't happenin' )Carlson and the rest of the "Fighting Sue-sie" crowd to get over it...embrace the teams and university you profess to hold dear!!!!!!

Exactly what I'm saying, funny how D76 gives you an up vote right after he says that above..

Can't make this s#@t up!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I forget, who is Al Carlson? which University does he tow the rope for?   many mistakes seem glaring to me, the Stenejem thing at the top.  Does the fact that it was Chippewea natives being the most vocal not register with anyone, especially the Sioux natives?  If it is true that the Chippewea have had a centuries long blood feud with the Sioux, the Ron His Horsi has Thunder should hang his head in shame, as he has been duped.  Maybe his tribe will slide off into a distant memory.  As it stands now, Sioux is known more for the DAPL fiasco than a great hockey program.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

I rest my case..

Exactly what I'm saying, funny how D76 gives you an up vote right after he says that above..

Can't make this s#@t up!

It’s called sarcasm but of course that doesn’t show up well on message boards, or it flew over your head.

2 hours ago, John W. said:

Nickname /logo have nothing to do with athletic success....

To a point, no, they don't. But the time/money/effort spent on the nickname battle was a not a net positive for the University in anyway. Those resources can finally but put to better use and the University is working/has moved forward with a common identity to help with branding and marketing for both athletics and the University as a whole. 

• Upvote 3