SiouxSports.com Forum

Why not choose Nodaks

darell1976

Did I miss what did the ncaa say ?

They said go ahead and have no nickname but if anyone complains (whether from inside UND or another school or group) about fans cheering on the Fighting Sioux name then it's sanctions time. Plain and simple, the no nickname option just got a death sentence. Neither UND nor the SBoHE want to go through that again.

Did I miss what did the ncaa say ?

The NCAA gave the green light for UND to proceed with no nickname as far as the settlement goes.  If other schools start complaining about the lack of a name, albeit over three years later, the NCAA may look at sanctions. See the email goon received below:

Eric, thanks for the email and the support for our university. The NCAA says there would not be a violation of the settlement agreement as far as they are concerned if UND didn't adopt a new nickname. However, the NCAA did say that if fans resumed using Sioux or Fighting Sioux, the NCAA believes other schools will complain and that, in turn, would very likely result in sanctions. The NCAA does seem to believe that UND has done its best to comply with the settlement agreement.

Peter Johnson
Executive Associate Vice President for University Relations
(701) 777-4317

The NCAA gave the green light for UND to proceed with no nickname as far as the settlement goes.  If other schools start complaining about the lack of a name, albeit over three years later, the NCAA may look at sanctions. See the email goon received below:

Eric, thanks for the email and the support for our university. The NCAA says there would not be a violation of the settlement agreement as far as they are concerned if UND didn't adopt a new nickname. However, the NCAA did say that if fans resumed using Sioux or Fighting Sioux, the NCAA believes other schools will complain and that, in turn, would very likely result in sanctions. The NCAA does seem to believe that UND has done its best to comply with the settlement agreement.

Peter Johnson
Executive Associate Vice President for University Relations
(701) 777-4317

So now "very likely" equals "may" sanction UND?

Great job at completely missing the point Peter was trying to make in the email. 

So now "very likely" equals "may" sanction UND?

Great job at completely missing the point Peter was trying to make in the email. 

I think so. But peter's email most certainly did not say automatic sanctions if someone from inside UND complains. Where were you on that one, Lefty?

I remember going in a bar in Montana back in the 70s that had a old removable pop top from a beer can taped on a piece of paper & it said Nodak nose picker - that is the only kinda negative thing I have ever heard but yes they have always called us Nodaks

If I heard a Nodak joke I usually came back with the old Why is it always so windy in North Dakota?  Because Minn sucks & Montana blows

Edited by Fetch

The NCAA gave the green light for UND to proceed with no nickname as far as the settlement goes.  If other schools start complaining about the lack of a name, albeit over three years later, the NCAA may look at sanctions. See the email goon received below. 

You finally get concrete evidence that there is very likely consequences to choosing "no nickname" and then proceed to downplay it. The NCAA also gave UND the green light to continue to use Fighting Sioux if they wanted. 

It's no longer "fear mongering" (as some called it) when the NCAA has told UND if the complaints about hearing the old nickname continue sanctions will follow. 

Basically the NCAA has called the "no nickname" bluff: Even they recognize it's a way to keep using the old nickname. They are just waiting for the complaint as a trigger to bring the sanctions. 

It's no longer "fear mongering" (as some called it) when the NCAA has told UND if the complaints about hearing the old nickname continue sanctions will follow. 

Basically the NCAA has called the "no nickname" bluff: Even they recognize it's a way to keep using the old nickname. They are just waiting for the complaint as a trigger to bring the sanctions. 

I am telling u that most folks are going to yell & cheer for Fighting Sioux no matter what new name is chosen - The vast majority are never going to change ...NEVER !

How is it derogatory when people use it to abbreviate our state and there are businesses with that name, Nodak Rural Electric? Call them up and tell them their name is derogatory, after they laugh at you and hang up report back to us on your findings.

I am here to tell you I find the name Nodak hostile and abusive. 

• Upvote 1

Well it only takes one person to be offended to enact change...we've all seen that game before.

It takes a little more. Look how many were offended by the NCAA and them telling UND to retire the Sioux name...and the many I am talking about were the Sioux themselves.

Sure, but the NCAA can just take their ball and go home and UND is left to twist in the wind...gotta play their game by their rules.

They recognize the possibility that the school UNDermines the process.  Perhaps an even more clever mascot could play off of that very concept.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1