SiouxSports.com Forum

How Long Will It Take To Move On

geaux_sioux

Over/Under Time to Move On  

65 members have voted

1. 1. How Long Will it Take the Hockey Only Crowd to Move on to The New Nickname?

• Under Five Years
    • Five Years Exactly
    • Over Five Years
    • Over Ten Years
    • You Can Pry My Fighting Sioux Jersey From My Cold Dead Petty Hand

I have a hard time believing the hockey team will really ever embrace or use the new nickname/logo no matter what it is. I think they will just stick with the current uniforms they have now and continue to use North Dakota. If they won a title this year I also wouldn't be at all surprised if they made sure to somehow incorporate the Fighting Sioux name/logo in post game celebration especially in the locker room. It was cool this year that we still got to see the Fighting Sioux logo during hockey games as Zane had a patch on his chest protector and you could make it out under his jersey especially the white jerseys pretty easily.

Yeah, becuase a bunch of students on a hockey team get to decide what jersey they will wear when competing for the school that pays them their scholrship to play there.  Sorry bud, that's not the way it works.  Sorry to burst your bubble, but just because the hockey team produces the most revenue for the athletic department, doesn't mean that they can do whatever they want. 

People talk like the hockey program owes the other athletic programs something for being so successful... What has women's volleyball done for hockey lately. The people that bitch about the hockey program should really get a clue about where UND gets a hefty amount of their money from. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Who said anything about owing? Acting like one of the many programs on campus is too much to ask? Why can they do whatever the hell they want?

Yeah, becuase a bunch of students on a hockey team get to decide what jersey they will wear when competing for the school that pays them their scholrship to play there.  Sorry bud, that's not the way it works.  Sorry to burst your bubble, but just because the hockey team produces the most revenue for the athletic department, doesn't mean that they can do whatever they want. 

And the recruits and players coming to campus in 5 years will have no real stake in the Fighting Sioux moniker.  It will be a nice historical passage to them, similar to those who may have seen the old Blackhawk logo that adorned Sioux sweaters decades ago. 

Who said anything about owing? Acting like one of the many programs on campus is too much to ask? Why can they do whatever the hell they want?

They don't get to do whatever they want. They are treated differently a lot of the time due to being so recognizable plus a certain portion are drafted by NHL teams. This can be both positive and negative to them. Jeebus, people like you sound like the kid who was stood up by the pretty girl at prom.

They don't get to do whatever they want. They are treated differently a lot of the time due to being so recognizable plus a certain portion are drafted by NHL teams. This can be both positive and negative to them. Jeebus, people like you sound like the kid who was stood up by the pretty girl at prom.

Actually, that is how the Fighting Sioux Forever crowd is acting.

• Downvote 3

I have a hard time believing the hockey team will really ever embrace or use the new nickname/logo no matter what it is. I think they will just stick with the current uniforms they have now and continue to use North Dakota. If they won a title this year I also wouldn't be at all surprised if they made sure to somehow incorporate the Fighting Sioux name/logo in post game celebration especially in the locker room. It was cool this year that we still got to see the Fighting Sioux logo during hockey games as Zane had a patch on his chest protector and you could make it out under his jersey especially the white jerseys pretty easily.

Boy are the hockey fans going to be pissed when they see the new conference banner that goes up this fall......

That all comes back to their leadership.  Is Brad Berry going to be the only coach on campus who fights the process by not supporting it?  Thus, leading his players and their fan base to do the same?  

I think we can all agree:  If Berry were to come out and state that he and his program are behind the nickname process and want what's best for the university-as his SID pointed out yesterday- the rest of the players and fan base would follow suit. 

I'm sure he will be branded a traitor or there will be claims that he was strong-armed just like what happened to Hak when he came out supporting people to vote to retire the Sioux nickname.

This is the guy that set me off this morning. But apparently to some people on here, I am the bad guy and this gentleman is some sort of tragic hero. If I have to wear the black hat on this, so be it.

How can the Fighting Sioux logo be one of the most highly recognizable nicknames/logos in the NCAA when college hockey (the only UND sport that excessively wore the Fighting Sioux logo) is certainly not the most highly recognizable sport in the NCAA? The college hockey niche that exists in North Dakota and Minnesota is blinded by their passion to the point where their perception of popular opinion is strongly altered. I'm sorry, but the NCAA and the national supporters of college athletics are not in the utmost awe of the Fighting Sioux logo. Yes, the logo was unique, traditional, representative, and honorable, among other things, but it was not the Holy Grail. Yes, the logo was majestic and attention-grabbing, but it was not the foundation of the University of North Dakota athletics. 

Ultimately, I completely agree with the stance that the University of North Dakota and its athletic teams are way more than a logo/nickname. I would much rather see UND athletics gain national recognition through the winning of the titles and actual accomplishment rather than possessing a creative, airport-loving, golf course-attaching, random bar-adoring nickname/logo. With that said, North Dakota is not a nickname, but rather a proper identifier. And if every other DI school is going to have a nickname -- for marketing, national identification, etc. -- then it is in the best interest of UND to move on and acquire one as well. 

Blame the NCAA. Blame the legal settlement terms. Perhaps blame the administration for selecting an illogical procedure in order to select the new nickname. But do not blame the University of North Dakota for needing to do what's best for itself: move on. There are far more important battles (both academically and athletically) to be fought than living in the past of a nickname. 

I'm sorry, but hockey is the only reason people know of UND.  No one outside of ND really know UND sports.  I travel quite a bit.  Every once in awhile I get into a convo with someone at a bar and they may ask about north dakota's good D2 football program.  I correct them and note that school is in Fargo and that it is D-1AA....and they kind of give me a blank stare.

This is the guy that set me off this morning. But apparently to some people on here, I am the bad guy and this gentleman is some sort of tragic hero. If I have to wear the black hat on this, so be it.

Why worry about it?  Some people will always live in the past and that's their cross to bear ;)

No one outside of ND really know UND sports.  

Exactly, which is why UND needs to expand their brand, particularly in football and basketball. UND hockey is without question the financial-engine and fan-stabilizer right now, but way more potential exists with football and basketball. If UND football and/or basketball grows to the point that it can compete against the big boys (like NDSU has done), then UND will gain far greater national recognition. That needs to be focused on, not the nickname.

Whether or not UND possesses the nickname Fighting Sioux, or "no nickname" , or any nickname for that matter, has no bearing on the competitiveness of UND. The competitiveness should be the focus. 

Exactly, which is why UND needs to expand their brand, particularly in football and basketball. UND hockey is without question the financial-engine and fan-stabilizer right now, but way more potential exists with football and basketball. If UND football and/or basketball grows to the point that it can compete against the big boys (like NDSU has done), then UND will gain far greater national recognition. That needs to be focused on, not the nickname.

Whether or not UND possesses the nickname Fighting Sioux or "no nickname" has no bearing on the competitiveness of UND. The competitiveness should be the focus. 

Success is what builds your brand in athletics, not your nickname. 

Pretty sure I am not the only one that is calling the "Fighting Sioux Forever" crowd "temper tantrum throwers". Geaux basically called them "toddlers" in the initial posting on this thread. And I agree with him.

As Mr. Spock (the late Leonard Nimoy) used to put it: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one."

Tom Miller pretty much called us (the no name crowd) the same thing in his article I read today.  Different opinion of Tom after reading that.

Also, who is the many and who is the few in your quote from spock?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Tom miller pretty much called us (the no name crowd) the same thing in his article I read today.  Different opinion of Tom after reading that.

Also, who is the many and who is the few in your quote from spock?

Tom covers FB and other less popular sports.  I never realized this but it appears the other programs are a tad salty at the success of the hockey program (and the coverage it receives).  Maybe that has something to do with it.  Sad though, because we should all be on the same team.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3