SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

I think a thing the "Teddy wasn't from ND" crowd is missing is that fans didn't latch onto Roughriders because of our own personal opinions about how connected Teddy was to ND.

Rather, I like the idea of the state's namesake public university having a nickname that matches a state motto or slogan (e.g. the Wolverine State, the Badger State, the Gopher State). RR detractors have pointed out that ND isn't officially the Rough Rider State, but it is one of the nicknames associated with the state, listed on nd.gov, used in its highest award, highway signs, businesses, etc...

So, trying to convince RR supporters that Teddy isn't associated with ND is tilting at windmills, proponents are latching on to the association that the state itself has promoted for decades. That's why Rough Riders came up as an early favorite and consistently polled near the top long before this formal process began.

That's what I said. But in a much more well defined way.guess-the-emoji-up-106.jpg

Edited by Cratter

You have posted the same "fact" multiple times. That "fact" doesn't recognize the fact that North Dakota and Teddy Roosevelt have a real connection, a connection that Roosevelt himself noted many times. It doesn't recognize the fact that the state of North Dakota has used the Roughrider name and story along with the mutual connection to Teddy to create an image used to promote the state. Roughrider State is a generally recognized nickname for the state. As a recognized nickname for the state, it can be used as a nickname for the University as is done in approximately 20 other states across the country. And your "fact" doesn't recognize the definition I noted earlier where roughrider means someone who rides or breaks wild horses. Thousands of North Dakota residents throughout history have been roughriders, including many of my relatives. This also makes Roughriders a suitable nickname for UND. So your "fact" is a minor issue at most and nothing that would preclude the University from using the name. Especially when so many sports nicknames have absolutely no connection to the school or state. Besides, I don't remember any place on the ballot where anyone had to justify their vote, or give a reason for that vote. They only had to pick a name.

we don't agree on much, but I love your last paragraph.. A lot of people on here need to read it and learn it.