SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

This has been discussed/questioned a bit here in the past:

The committee also recommended the public vote be limited to alumni, students, North Dakota citizens and donors—or "friends of the university" as defined by the UND Alumni Foundation and Association. Goehring noted Kelley has previously said he wants the public vote to be as inclusive as possible.

The committee also wants some marketing ideas for the five potential nicknames to be developed for consideration by the university.

Full Herald article: http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/3801860-undnorth-dakota-out-committee-forwards-five-nicknames-public-vote

It still baffles me how Roughriders can easily be the favorite among people on this site, at the Herald, and the people of Grand Forks, but ranks below Sundogs with this committee...

I find it more curious that Roughriders topped their ranking last time but isn't even top three now. Sounds like they might as well have the consultant vote on his Hawks and be done with it! I also find it absurd that an outgoing President that has shown more affinity for political correctness than for the University itself, will have the final say in the matter. You can bet that since he was honored by the Native American community recently, he will consult them on those final names. Let's face it, it was just another job for Kelley, while for most of us the University of North Dakota has been a lifelong passion. It will be another slap in the face if he bypasses the vote with an end around on his way out.

• Upvote 1

Yes to your question. First, the redundancy of NORTH Dakota NORTH STARS, then the fact that it's Minnesota's nickname. UGH!

2/5 of the choices are embarrassing: North Stars and Sun Dogs/Sundogs are absurd. While the "move on" crowd keeps bitching at the "Sioux forever" crowd, Sun Dogs/Sundogs just keeps plugging along like the tortoise, headed to the finish line.

Add to your redundancy list North Dakota Nodaks, leaving only Roughriders and Fighting Hawks. Roughriders was my first choice since the realization the Sioux was gone, but there are a couple of Hawks that have taken up residence on our golf course. They are very impressive raptors. Miami RedHawks would be the only other Hawk in either of UND's conferences, so not opposed to it.

Really hope it won't be Sundogs, North Stars or Nodaks, but UND is still my alma mater and I will cheer for the UND ___________, no matter what the final choice is.

• Upvote 1

MafiaBoy used my login instead of his to vote for Fighting Hawks in the last poll (7 choices). I asked why that was his choice and he said that the word "Fighting" in the new nickname would at least keep half of the tradition of "Fighting Sioux" alive. I must say, I'm coming around on the idea...I voted for Fighting Hawks myself in this one.

If you really want fans, students, alumni, etc. to cling even tighter to the Sioux name... force a name like Sundogs on them. Just disgusted by the fact that Sundogs is considered top 5 over what has worked over the past few year, and what was largely popular among supporters. Gotta love when a small group/committee says what we want is more important than what you want.

...in no way is Sundogs a more viable option for UND that just North Dakota. This is pretty sickening to watch...and the degree to which the process has bent over to the PC crowd is truly disgusting.

Sickening to watch, but not surprising to me in the least.

Maybe...but the fast food workers at bv would also like to see Nod#@ks as our nickname.

Who cares, they'll come up with something regardless of what we pick:

Whioux

no d#&!s

fighting hicks

Etc.

There is always something, we saw that with Fighting Sioux too. That's not what you base a decision on.

• Upvote 1

Is Lowell Schwiegert on the Committee or not?  One post says he was a member and beneath the Post it said "if he had volunteered to be on the Committee."  Which is it?  Sorry but I am having a terrible problem using a quote.  My Puter keeps taking me back to my own Word Processing so it doesn't compute and gets all hosed up.

Roughriders - issues with local high school and potential alienation of local GFC alumni and fans.

North Stars - obvious reference to former NHL team and using the nickname of a border state is a bad move.

Nodaks - Nodiks, Nodix, or Nodicks signs and jeers by opposing fans. Obvious no.

Fighting Hawks - potential of fans still saying Fighting Sioux - an unwanted link to the past.

Sundogs - Urban Dictionary be damned, that's just close-minded and bigoted thinking. We'll be a shining rainbow for all to see, the perfect abstract vision for fans.

• Upvote 1

Roughriders - issues with local high school and potential alienation of local GFC alumni and fans.

North Stars - obvious reference to former NHL team and using the nickname of a border state is a bad move.

Nodaks - Nodiks, Nodix, or Nodicks signs and jeers by opposing fans. Obvious no.

Fighting Hawks - potential of fans still saying Fighting Sioux - an unwanted link to the past.

Sundogs - Urban Dictionary be damned, that's just close-minded and bigoted thinking. We'll be a shining rainbow for all to see, the perfect abstract vision for fans.

In regards to roughriders, were those the only reasons they gave? Roughriders seems to be fading. Which could be terrible if stars is out. The remaining names are terrible. How the hell did sundogs make it to the final 5?

Sad day, looks like a lot of current and former players are noting their displeasure with this decision. Dillon Simpson's tweets are pretty intense and caggulias seemed pretty intense too.

Love when guys that never wore the logo or the name speak so intensely about it.

Also, way to support the actual school you are playing for and the one paying your 16K scholarship during this tough time guys, great job.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Who cares, they'll come up with something regardless of what we pick:

Whioux

no d#&!s

fighting hicks

Etc.

There is always something, we saw that with Fighting Sioux too. That's not what you base a decision on.

You are so funny.. My belly hurts from laughing.  End of the day and nice to hit the sack in a good mood.

Love when guys that never wore the logo or the name speak so intensely about it.

Also, way to support the actual school you are playing for and the one paying your 16K scholarship during this tough time guys, great job.

Did Simpson wear it? Mario? Commodore? Either way I get it, that name is gone. I simply think its a tad early to switch, especially given the 5 remaining names. I believe the backlash is warranted. It's all over twitter right now.

• Upvote 1

Did Simpson wear it? Mario? Commodore? Either way I get it, that name is gone. I simply think its a tad early to switch, especially given the 5 remaining names. I believe the backlash is warranted. It's all over twitter right now.

Too early..why? What does waiting do for anyone, wait for what?

Too early..why? What does waiting do for anyone, wait for what?

Wait to pick a decent name. Of the 5 only 2 are marginally close to even being somewhat above terrible. You do realize Simpson, commodore and Mario wore the Sioux logo, correct?

• Upvote 1

Wait to pick a decent name. Of the 5 only 2 are marginally close to even being somewhat above terrible. You do realize Simpson, commodore and Mario wore the Sioux logo, correct?

Yes. Did Caggiula and Chyzk? They seem to pretty loud right now.

Well it probably isn't anymore or less scientific than any polls by the papers or this site but judging by around 4or 5 hundred responses to 7 different news stories on the issue on facebook, it seems that remaining North Dakota was favored by about 95%.