SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

If that makes you feel better about yourself, you need to take a step back and think.

It isn't anything to make me feel any kind of way or anything I need to think about. I'm sure I won't be the only person who continues to call the teams Fighting Sioux and wear Fighting Sioux stuff rather than get on board with a new nickname either.

• Upvote 1

Couple reactions I've seen on Twitter not too happy about no nickname being eliminated

Mike Commodore ‏@commie22 36m36 minutes ago

@SchlossmanGF if it can't be Fighting Sioux I don't see what's wrong with keeping University of North Dakota. I liked that.

Mike Commodore ‏@commie22 34m34 minutes ago

@SchlossmanGF and who is this guy talking about "its time to show courage"? Is he serious? That time passed awhile ago.

https://twitter.com/chyz21

The guy was Lowell Schweigert. Bubba's brother and former UND Football player who lives and dies UND athletics. Mike might want to think a little next time.

• Upvote 1

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/3801860-undnorth-dakota-nickname-eliminated-committee

Committee member and UND alumnus Lowell Schweigert said it was a difficult decision for him and ranked UND/North Dakota at four.

“I think I know what the popular vote would be if we threw these seven names out there based on submissions we had back in April, but I would say I've had alumni and I've had people who are stakeholders at UND who have encouraged me by saying we should pick a nickname, and that nickname isn't' North Dakota because we're always going to be the University of North Dakota,” Schweigert said. “It's a time for some courage.”

I loved Commie as a player (like a lot of us in the student section back in the 1990's), but I think his complaints would hold more water if he would have volunteered to serve on the committee (even if it was from a distance).  As it is, he is just throw rocks from his glass house.

Is anyone else as sickened by the fact that North Stars is still on this list as I am? Minnesota is the freaking North Star State! I swear, if these baffoons pick that as the nickname, we're going to be the laughing stock of our biggest rivals.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Is anyone else as sickened by the fact that North Stars is still on this list as I am? Minnesota is the freaking North Star State! I swear, if these baffoons pick that as the nickname, we're going to be the laughing stock of our biggest rivals.

If I understood this correctly, it's out of their hands and more or less in Kelley's lap. Non-binding vote first?

Anybody, please jump in...

Right. How USC even functions with the same name as the most popular condom in the world is beyond me.

Yeah, maybe we better not recruit anyone named Johnson either because a twelve year old mentality might run rampant in immature college students!

• Upvote 1

Having the same nickname for more than one school wasn't uncommon in Grand Forks remember when there was 3 schools with the nickname Warriors ( West, Wilder and Valley) was there outcry...nope. So having UND and RR be Roughriders wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Since it can't be just North Dakota now I guess I don't care what it ends up and won't vote for any of these nicknames. I will continue to call the teams the Fighting Sioux. I will continue to support the teams especially men's hockey but will not buy any merchandise with the new nickname/logo on it.

Please vote for something, anything but SunDogs. I'll always call them Fighting Sioux too, but can you imagine watching a game with a SunDog jersey? yikes!

• Upvote 1

Please vote for something, anything but SunDogs. I'll always call them Fighting Sioux too, but can you imagine watching a game with a SunDog jersey? yikes!

I only meant for the poll on here so not like it matters anyway. I do agree with you Sun Dogs is the worst case scenario and if I get a real vote it definitely would not be for that but I'm not sure what it would be for. I wouldn't be at all surprised if when the new logo/nickname are implemented hockey just continues with the North Dakota jersey style and no logo sticker on the side of the helmet.

• Upvote 1

Yes to your question. First, the redundancy of NORTH Dakota NORTH STARS, then the fact that it's Minnesota's nickname. UGH!

2/5 of the choices are embarrassing: North Stars and Sun Dogs/Sundogs are absurd. While the "move on" crowd keeps bitching at the "Sioux forever" crowd, Sun Dogs/Sundogs just keeps plugging along like the tortoise, headed to the finish line.

• Upvote 1

Understand why some have reservations about North Dakota, but in no way is Sundogs a more viable option for UND that just North Dakota. This is pretty sickening to watch, not because it is critically important (it truly is a nickname, even though it does hold some significance), but the way this entire process has been handled, and the degree to which the process has bent over to the PC crowd is truly disgusting.

• Upvote 2

It still baffles me how Roughriders can easily be the favorite among people on this site, at the Herald, and the people of Grand Forks, but ranks below Sundogs with this committee...

Libtards, in no way can they ever be held accountable for something being considered controversial at any time in the future. Personally, I think if you are worried about that, you have no business being on this committee. Just wanting to take the easy way out. Nevermind how unpopular it is with the vast majority of fans and alumni. Opposing fans are crying they are laughing so hard at us right now.

It still baffles me how Roughriders can easily be the favorite among people on this site, at the Herald, and the people of Grand Forks, but ranks below Sundogs with this committee...

To say the fix was in on sundogs would be overstating it, but the PC crowd has been positioning it since long before the majority of us here, on Herald polls, or at large in G.F. believed the Sioux name might really go away. It had a big head start.

Some of the opposition from old timers is that Sundogs was already being positioned as the successor to Fighting Sioux back when people believed it didn't matter because Fighting Sioux would stick around, so Sundogs became sort of synonymous with the anti-nickname movement.

Not the least bit, have you read the remaining names. Are we really going to be the Fighting Hawks? We go from a great name to a vanilla name. I guess the logo could be neat. But that's it. How many colleges have some form of hawks as their nickname. I thought uniqueness was a requirement?

• Upvote 2

To say the fix was in on sundogs would be overstating it, but the PC crowd has been positioning it since long before the majority of us here, on Herald polls, or at large in G.F. believed the Sioux name might really go away. It had a big head start.

Some of the opposition from old timers is that Sundogs was already being positioned as the successor to Fighting Sioux back when people believed it didn't matter because Fighting Sioux would stick around, so Sundogs became sort of synonymous with the anti-nickname movement.

As a joke and dripping with sarcasm.

My apologies. Big thumb on iPad mini gave -1. Meant +1.