SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

The best decision was made for the long term future of UND tonight. Thanks to the 7 people on the committee that undertsood that. The fighting Sioux forever crowd will throw their temper tantrum but eventually they/we will all move on. I'd take Roughriders Northstars or maybe fighting Hawks out of the 5 with Roughriders being my favorite. Glad we can all move forward from the Sioux name now. Go Fighting Sioux and go whatever name we choose moving forward. Nicknames come and go UND lasts forever.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The best decision was made for the long term future of UND tonight. Thanks to the 7 people on the committee that undertsood that. The fighting Sioux forever crowd will throw their temper tantrum but eventually they/we will all move on. I'd take Roughriders Northstars or maybe fighting Hawks out of the 5 with Roughriders being my favorite. Glad we can all move forward from the Sioux name now. Go Fighting Sioux and go whatever name we choose moving forward. Nicknames come and go UND lasts forever.

Check out @AnnagatorB's Tweet: https://twitter.com/AnnagatorB/status/623672673529298945?s=09

Perfectly said!

• Downvote 1

Since it can't be just North Dakota now I guess I don't care what it ends up and won't vote for any of these nicknames. I will continue to call the teams the Fighting Sioux. I will continue to support the teams especially men's hockey but will not buy any merchandise with the new nickname/logo on it.

What a joke!  Seems like every name that seems likeable is tossed.   There were names like Oilers, Bombers, Aviators, Jets, ..just a few that seem decent, acceptable and make some sense all are now gone.

Sun Dogs and NoDaks  WTF!!!!!  Many feel Roughriders is boring and it just plain sucks!  Opposing fans will like it...North Dakota will be the brunt of every prophylactic joke for years to come!  

keep up the great work! :silly:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And correction. No nickname isn't a fan favorite.

I assumed someone would take offense at that :)

I just meant that it consistently polled well, and certainly generated a lot of chatter. It was quite polarizing, some thought it the only reasonable choice, some thought it insane.

What a joke! Seems like every name that seems likeable is tossed. There were names like Oilers, Bombers, Aviators, Jets, ..just a few that seem decent, acceptable and make some sense all are now gone.

Sun Dogs and NoDaks WTF!!!!! Many feel Roughriders is boring and it just plain sucks! Opposing fans will like it...North Dakota will be the brunt of every prophylactic joke for years to come!

keep up the great work! :silly:

I think they wouldn't mind a vanilla name that didn't cause any problems. The last thing you want is another controversial nickname.

Why "see what the public thinks" if it's not an option? Seems odd to me, good odd that is:)

That would seem really stupid to see what the public thinks when it isn't an option and then when they see the public likes it were they gonna go back and fix there mistake and make North Dakota an option again?

Since it can't be just North Dakota now I guess I don't care what it ends up and won't vote for any of these nicknames. I will continue to call the teams the Fighting Sioux. I will continue to support the teams especially men's hockey but will not buy any merchandise with the new nickname/logo on it.

If that makes you feel better about yourself, you need to take a step back and think.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That would seem really stupid to see what the public thinks when it isn't an option and then when they see the public likes it were they gonna go back and fix there mistake and make North Dakota an option again?

Exactly. It was someone on the losing side of the "just North Dakota" vote making one last hail mary to back door keep it alive. It didn't work.

Couple reactions I've seen on Twitter not happy about no nickname being eliminated

Mike Commodore @commie22 36m36 minutes ago

@SchlossmanGF if it can't be Fighting Sioux I don't see what's wrong with keeping University of North Dakota. I liked that.

Mike Commodore @commie22 34m34 minutes ago

@SchlossmanGF and who is this guy talking about "its time to show courage"? Is he serious? That time passed awhile ago.

https://twitter.com/chyz21