SiouxSports.com Forum

Cost of Attendance

GeauxSioux

I think we are looking at this all wrong.  NDSU doesn't have the money in hand and it has to come from somewhere.   Donors are only going to give so much, no matter what you do.   My guess is the bulk of this $700,000 comes from cuts in other areas.   What we really need to look at is what is the rest of the Sky doing?   The Montana schools said last spring they weren't going to do it and I think they meant it.   The Sky is our real competition and that's where we look.

We can't afford this for anything but hockey and neither can any other FCS school.   You hide and watch, in a couple years NDSU is going to back away from this because in the end they wind up getting the same players they would have gotten any way and they have to bleed other programs to come up with the cash.   

There is a reason why only 2 FCS schools have announced going with this in the 6 months since this was implemented.    It sounds good on the surface for cooler heads know nothing will be gained in the long run.   Mark my words, NDSU back peddles soon.   Do it for hockey and lets move on.

I have had it up to you-know-where with this whole "If the Big Sky doesn't do it, we shouldn't do it either" garbage. That almost sounds like what the NSIC used to do with football scholarships when they had that cap that was set way below the NCAA maximum. It was all about "inter-conference competitiveness". So that is what we moved up for? So we could set lower standards and then pat ourselves on the back for being "competitive within our conference" and that's it? I suppose if the Big Sky sets a cap for football scholarships of, let's just say, 50, you will be on board with that? Sorry, I am not cool with that.

Mark my words, NDSU is not backing down on this. And I disagree 100% with the idea that "We can't afford this for anything but hockey." That is pure B.S. Like I have said before, if we can raise $300 million for an endowment, we can raise the money for this. And if that involves cutting some lower-tier sports, then so be it. Get rid of baseball and softball. Get rid of swimming and diving (both men's and women's). That will probably help us focus on the rest of our programs more.

Once again, in closing, I am sick and tired of NDSU being on the cutting edge of FCS athletics while we wallow in the mud and pretend that everything is just fine the way it is. Because it is not fine. And it won't get to be fine until we get a new President that understands how important athletics is to a university's overall mission.

Faison is just doing what he is told; Kelley is the one that is apathetic to this because he is leaving next year anyway.

• Upvote 2

I agree, we can't go by what the rest of the Big Sky is doing, because we are competing for players in this area with NDSU, SDSU and South Dakota, etc.   We recruit some of the same players, but Montana and other Western States aren't our recruiting base. This would also give us a leg up on the Montana schools on those players we both are recruiting .  

You are correct. The good thing is is they have a commitment for a million bucks to make this happen. Plus we have now added scholarships to the NCAA max for the rest of our sports.

The bad thing is they need 1.9 million.  Then, they need to do it all over again in 3 years.  

Once again Faison is falling all over himself to get Mens and Womens (gotta be f'in kidding me) Hockey their FCOA money.  But it's "lets wait and see" with Football.  Clown. 

Why the hell would he not match Mens hockey money with Womens Basketball?  A sport that deserves it.  

The way Faison is thinking we might as well be Colorado College or Minnesota-Duluth, let's care about hockey and only hockey, screw the other sports including football but let's bend over backwards for men's and women's hockey. Stupid!!!!

• Upvote 1

The Big Sky Conference requires:

Men (7): Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Tennis, Track & Field (indoor), Track & Field (outdoor)
Women (9): Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track & Field (indoor), Track & Field (outdoor), Volleyball

UND sponsors 21, so beyond those: M/W hockey, M/W S&D, baseball. 

I do believe it's time to take a hard look at the sport offerings at UND. 

• Upvote 1

To add to the discussion regarding swimming and diving.  Back when UND was doing assessments regarding the transition to Division I, there was a matrix of needs and wants.  One of the wants was for the replacement of the Hyslop pool by 2015.  The pool was okay by Division II standards, but there was a $10M price tag to upgrade for Division I.  What is the current condition of the pool?

Edited by GeauxSioux

5.00 x 15,000 tickets = 75,000.00 x 6 games = 450,000.00 + 350,000.00 matching funds = $800,000.00. Which doesn't include other funding options. You do realize that they have a commitment for 1 million dollars over 3 years?

Its that simple, yet the rise in ticket prices had nothing to do with UND on the schedule this year....

Also, have the cost cuttings started in Fargo already?  From someone who worked with the event, NDSU athletics expected 1,000 people at their block party last night (jealous and impressed). Knowing that information, they printed out and brought 300 yard signs....

To add to the discussion regarding swimming and diving.  Back when UND was doing assessments regarding the transition to Division I, there was a matrix of needs and wants.  One of the wants was for the replacement of the Hyslop pool by 2015.  The pool was okay by Division II standards, but there was a $10M price tag to upgrade for Division I.  What is the current condition of the pool?

It hasn't changed much.  I think long range plans still place a new pool by the new Student Wellness Center.

Edited by UNDBIZ

Once again Faison is falling all over himself to get Mens and Womens (gotta be f'in kidding me) Hockey their FCOA money.  But it's "lets wait and see" with Football. 

Why not match Mens hockey money with Womens Basketball?  A sport that deserves it.  

Hockey culture at UND taking over again. 

• Upvote 3

The Big Sky Conference requires:

Men (7): Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Tennis, Track & Field (indoor), Track & Field (outdoor)
Women (9): Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track & Field (indoor), Track & Field (outdoor), Volleyball

UND sponsors 21, so beyond those: M/W hockey, M/W S&D, baseball. 

I do believe it's time to take a hard look at the sport offerings at UND. 

Couldn't agree more - like an earlier poster, I, too am a Champions Club member and have season tickets to two sports - so I feel I give plenty.  For some reason, giving more and having the possibility of it going to swiming and diving or baseball puts me off (women's hockey, too, but that's another thread).  The NDSU athletic department seems laser focused on excellence, UND not as much.  For craps sake trim the fat and start leading instead of following.  Hey, maybe we should form a committee since we have had such good luck with those.  

The way Faison is thinking we might as well be Colorado College or Minnesota-Duluth, let's care about hockey and only hockey, screw the other sports including football but let's bend over backwards for men's and women's hockey. Stupid!!!!

The headline in the Heraldo today could just as well have said: "UND considering move back down to Division II to protect Men's Hockey." Because if we do what I think we are going to do, we might as well start the de-transition process right now. :angry:

• Upvote 2

none of that changes the fact that the ndac is an ag school whose campus looks like a penitentiary located in a town that is increasingly becoming a not so safe city to live in...und is making connections thru the big sky and the nchc with like minded ACADEMIC schools which in the future might take us to a different "tier" maybe

And what does your post have to do with FCOA?

Its that simple, yet the rise in ticket prices had nothing to do with UND on the schedule this year....

Also, have the cost cuttings started in Fargo already?  From someone who worked with the event, NDSU athletics expected 1,000 people at their block party last night (jealous and impressed). Knowing that information, they printed out and brought 300 yard signs....

You seriously think that is cost cutting? I think it had more to do with the fact that last week they had fan day in which they gave away something like 1500 +  of them. Geez.

The event was sponsored by Scheels. But they also ran out of food which showed they were going on past numbers and didn't plan for a bigger turnout.

You seriously think that is cost cutting? I think it had more to do with the fact that last week they had fan day in which they gave away something like 1500 +  of them. Geez.

The event was sponsored by Scheels. But they also ran out of food which showed they were going on past numbers and didn't plan for a bigger turnout.

shocking!!?? physical beauty is not something that the ndac students, alumni, and faculty care much about...

Sometimes I think this must be what it's like living in North Korea.  We're completely delusional if we think that they've done anything other than kick our ass the last decade.  It's time this university starts fucking competing. 

I sense there are too many people in power at the university that would be totally fine seeing ndsu as Boise State to their Idaho.

• Upvote 3