SiouxSports.com Forum

Cost of Attendance

GeauxSioux

3 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

Aren't they still trying to raise enough donations to pay for the BSA renovations or have they finally finished with that project?

I had not heard that it was fully funded, only that the Foundation had indicated it would support the project as needed.    Not sure on that.

4 minutes ago, Herd said:

You are mixing your topics.   Raising student fees was not given as the way that NDSU will provide FCOA.   It will be raised with private donations.

Now, if NDSU raises student fees to UND's level, why not?   Are you going to argue with that when UND student's are already paying a much higher fee?   You would be talking out of both sides of your mouth if you argued that NDSU should not raise student fees to UND's level.   Raising student fees to a comparable level of regional schools seems like a wise move to me.  New athletic director, new view on where student fees should be . . . its not that hard to understand.

Hey, maybe NDSU should start charging the students for athletics tickets.   Are you going to talk out of both sides of your mouth on that topic too?

NDSU students are already paying more student fees than UND students. Check out the facts, not the information printed as BSVille. More of UND fees may go to athletics than at NDSU, but total student fees are higher at NDSU. Besides that fact, as others have noted the NDSU athletic department made a 5 year arrangement with the students. Two years later they have decided they aren't getting enough.

2 minutes ago, Herd said:

I had not heard that it was fully funded, only that the Foundation had indicated it would support the project as needed.    Not sure on that.

Is the Foundation going to cover the check for COA if they don't get enough private donations to cover them? That isn't a sustainable plan, let the Foundation cover it.

18 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

Aren't they still trying to raise enough donations to pay for the BSA renovations or have they finally finished with that project?

Good one. NDSU still has around $1.5 million left to be raised/paid for from the Fargodome coach's offices and locker room renovations done in 2004 that the NDSU Foundation had to take out bonds on.

19 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

Is the Foundation going to cover the check for COA if they don't get enough private donations to cover them? That isn't a sustainable plan, let the Foundation cover it.

Shouldn't you be trying to figure out what sports you are going to slash so you can pay FCOA at UND?   Or should I be asking you what happens at und if you don't raise enough private donations to cover FCOA?   IF UND is such a fund raising machine, why aren't coaches being paid competitively?    Lots of questions.

The Foundation isn't covering it, just insuring the project until the money is raised.

15 minutes ago, Herd said:

Shouldn't you be trying to figure out what sports you are going to slash so you can pay FCOA at UND?   Or should I be asking you what happens at und if you don't raise enough private donations to cover FCOA?   IF UND is such a fund raising machine, why aren't coaches being paid competitively?    Lots of questions.

The Foundation isn't covering it, just insuring the project until the money is raised.

I'm not too sure that any sports are going to be slashed. And UND is already well on the way to updating their budget for the state's required reductions, that budget will include FCOA. So I'm confident they have it handled. NDSU's official plan to cut their budget, which also includes cutting the athletic department budget, has so far been summed up as "Reduce Operating Expense". That doesn't give me as much confidence in NDSU.

25 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Good one. NDSU still has around $1.5 million left to be raised/paid for from the Fargodome coach's offices and locker room renovations done in 2004 that the NDSU Foundation had to take out bonds on.

The NDSU Foundation is paying for part of the Fargodome renovations, part of the BSA renovations and quite possibly FCOA. Pretty sweet deal for the NDSU athletic department.

6 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

The NDSU Foundation is paying for part of the Fargodome renovations, part of the BSA renovations and quite possibly FCOA. Pretty sweet deal for the NDSU athletic department.

Ya FCOA, the trump election campaign, wells for water in Africa . . . quite possibly.   Feel free to make some other sh*$ up too.

11 minutes ago, Herd said:

Ya FCOA, the trump election campaign, wells for water in Africa . . . quite possibly.   Feel free to make some other sh*$ up too.

You said that they were covering BSA expenses, jdub mentioned that they had bonds to cover the Fargodome renovations. And nothing has been mentioned about further donations to cover FCOA, so I just followed the pattern. Doesn't seem that far fetched.

1 hour ago, Herd said:

Given UND sponsors 21 sports at the Division I level, I guess I'd have no issue with going to 16 like the low point in the region (NDSU). 

As far as coaching salaries, I see multiple applicants for positions when they open and people taking the jobs. 

50 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Given UND sponsors 21 sports at the Division I level, I guess I'd have no issue with going to 16 like the low point in the region (NDSU). 

As far as coaching salaries, I see multiple applicants for positions when they open and people taking the jobs. 

Great - I can see a title 9 nightmare down the road for doing that - as far as salaries how's that worked out success and quality (coaches) wise.

8 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

Great - I can see a title 9 nightmare down the road for doing that - as far as salaries how's that worked out success and quality (coaches) wise.

Don't worry, we can always use the third prong survey vs actually offering opportunity.  Or does that only work if done in Fargo.   Apparently women don't want to play sports anyway.  

2 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

NDSU students are already paying more student fees than UND students. Check out the facts, not the information printed as BSVille. More of UND fees may go to athletics than at NDSU, but total student fees are higher at NDSU. Besides that fact, as others have noted the NDSU athletic department made a 5 year arrangement with the students. Two years later they have decided they aren't getting enough.

Thank you but why let facts get in the way of a good argument.  The funniest thing is the athletic dept used getting student funds to the level of other area schools as a reason to raise them.  No one called them out that they are already paying more student funds than area schools. 

2 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

You can see a Title IX nightmare down the road for UND yet you don't see any issue with how it is handled at NDSU? It was obvious you were delusional but this is taking it to a new level...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

You can see a Title IX nightmare down the road for UND yet you don't see any issue with how it is handled at NDSU? It was obvious you were delusional but this is taking it to a new level...

Simple Dan never disappoints.

4 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

Oh no! Oh no! I never considered tha... No. Wait. If things are done in proportionality Title IX is met. 

As far as salaries, I stand by my prior statements. Paying more does not guarantee results. I'd like to see the pay earned by performance. 

7 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

I'm not too sure that any sports are going to be slashed. And UND is already well on the way to updating their budget for the state's required reductions, that budget will include FCOA. So I'm confident they have it handled. NDSU's official plan to cut their budget, which also includes cutting the athletic department budget, has so far been summed up as "Reduce Operating Expense". That doesn't give me as much confidence in NDSU.

Even though they havent stated what their plan is you are confident they have it handled?

But NDSU has half of the FCOA already taken care of for 3 years and have stated they will raise the remaining by private donations. But that doesnt give you confidence in NDSU ???(like they care)

We are pretty sure NDSU has it handled also.

5 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Even though they havent stated what their plan is you are confident they have it handled?

But NDSU has half of the FCOA already taken care of for 3 years and have stated they will raise the remaining by private donations. But that doesnt give you confidence in NDSU ???(like they care)

We are pretty sure NDSU has it handled also.

Did you actually read the conversation or just cherry-pick something. This portion of the conversation has been more about the state required budget reductions, FCOA has been a minor part of the conversation. I linked an article that states UND gave the state several items that they will and won't do as a part of the state required reductions. Since they are going through an entire budget process, the FCOA will be part of that. UND is working through the process and will give more details through that process. All of that was provided to the state when the schools were required to provide their initial plans last week.

What did NDSU provide for a plan? A single line saying that they would "Reduce Operating Expenses". We had another link showing that. Nothing else. Great plan, huh. And as far as NDSU's FCOA plan goes, they don't have a great track record of getting private donations on time to finish projects. Think Fargodome football offices and think BSA renovation as recent examples. The NDSU Foundation had to cover donation shortfalls in both cases. So people don't have a lot of confidence in NDSU's plan for budget reductions, since they haven't shown one so far. And people don't have a lot of confidence in NDSU's ability to provide enough private donations to cover FCOA since they have a pattern.

But it sure is nice that you Bisons can come over here in shifts to try and protect the bad name of NDSU.

1 hour ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

Did you actually read the conversation or just cherry-pick something. This portion of the conversation has been more about the state required budget reductions, FCOA has been a minor part of the conversation. I linked an article that states UND gave the state several items that they will and won't do as a part of the state required reductions. Since they are going through an entire budget process, the FCOA will be part of that. UND is working through the process and will give more details through that process. All of that was provided to the state when the schools were required to provide their initial plans last week.

What did NDSU provide for a plan? A single line saying that they would "Reduce Operating Expenses". We had another link showing that. Nothing else. Great plan, huh. And as far as NDSU's FCOA plan goes, they don't have a great track record of getting private donations on time to finish projects. Think Fargodome football offices and think BSA renovation as recent examples. The NDSU Foundation had to cover donation shortfalls in both cases. So people don't have a lot of confidence in NDSU's plan for budget reductions, since they haven't shown one so far. And people don't have a lot of confidence in NDSU's ability to provide enough private donations to cover FCOA since they have a pattern.

But it sure is nice that you Bisons can come over here in shifts to try and protect the bad name of NDSU.

"Since they are going through an entire budget process, the FCOA will be part of that. UND is working through the process and will give more details through that process."

Im sure NDSU will as well. 

How much has UND raised for the FCOA?  Have we even heard a plan?  NDSU has raised at least 900,000 to be used over the next 3 years. And has a plan. More will be revealed later. Until then---have fun.:)

11 hours ago, jdub27 said:

All scholarship athletes will receive COA at NDSU not just some sports or athletes.  Cherry picking which sports or athletes is a recipe for the NCAA to get involved.  But hey go for it.  DId I dumb it down enough for 1983 to understand?

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

All scholarship athletes will receive COA at NDSU not just some sports or athletes.  Cherry picking which sports or athletes is a recipe for the NCAA to get involved.  But hey go for it.  DId I dumb it down enough for 1983 to understand?

He is talking about Title IX, Simple Dan.  How NDSU values male athletes more than females.  

Is this a bit, SD?  Please tell me it is.

10 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

...and now you're worried about the NCAA getting involved with Title IX issues at NDSU?  That's rich.  

Just remember, when FCOA is implemented NDSU will be giving male athletes about 20% more of the pot.

45 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

The NCAA will get involved if FCOA was given to a higher percentage of male athletes?   Do they have concern for the percentage of scholarships?