SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Volleyball Season

Dustin

The effort seemed lackluster last night, as travel and the let down from the big crowd and rivalry match took its toll.

Stokke commented in Tuesdays game that UND sets low to give the opposition less time to set up, as UND also wants to be pushing the tempo.  NDSU had very high sets in comparison.  It might take a season to get their timing down and for Griffin to get the ideal set height for each person.

You're absolutely right, UND wants to keep the sets low, both in the middle and to the outside. The less time the blockers have to move the better. But that comes with a risk, the higher the set the more chance the hitter can adjust. The lower the set the more the hitter just has to deal with what they are given. Outside sets have a margin for error regarding preferred height, with the middles the set has got to be right, and having two very different middles makes the setters life interesting.

Keep in mind the sets may be great but the block may ends up in the right (wrong?) place. If the block is to the hitters right and the set dies a little inside (right where the blocker is) tipping is much preferred to getting blocked.The tempo might be right on some sets but the location is off. And again, I don't know if this is a setter issue, attacker issue or a little of both.

I strongly suspect this is a "with a lot of practice it will get better" issue.

Having Julia out is definitely hurting the team. They played with a little more edge on Set 4, but it wasn't enough. Sac St has a good record, but we should have beaten them at home. I thought for sure McKenzie Hart would have made it to ncaa's at least once in her career, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. :(

Having Julia out is definitely hurting the team. They played with a little more edge on Set 4, but it wasn't enough. Sac St has a good record, but we should have beaten them at home. I thought for sure McKenzie Hart would have made it to ncaa's at least once in her career, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. :(

Think the NCAA was a lost cause when they got swept by NAU and Idaho St.  Both of those tea s are top 50 caliber squads that the rest of the Big Sky can't hold a candle to.  Sac St is probablying the third best team in the league, which are all in the south.

Learn from the year, recrust as  needed, and make adjustments.   Big Sky volleyball isn't a walk in the park anymore, as shown by Sac St, which has made major improvements.

Edited by SiouxVolley

You can tell the enthusiasm for volleyball has waned a bit since no one even bothered to write about last Saturday's finish (5 set loss to UNC). The girls did get a road win at MSU last night 3-1. 

I was at the first set, and then bolted for the FB game last week. I figured you or Siouxvolley would keep us abreast. 

It would help if they would stop scheduling home games  right up against other sports.

Not to mention that the Big Sky had 3 home volleyball series coincide with football.  And football was on road for 2 weeks and had bye another.

But UND did blow it with the 11 am starts.  If Big Sky is dictating those start times so that teams can fly out then they need to accommodate and schedule opposite football.