SiouxSports.com Forum

2015/16 Season

obborg

5 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

What has gone wrong here?

We were way too careful against their press, We seemed to just wait for the trap to come then react.  But more importantly:  Why was Loyd on the bench for so much of the first 3 quarters?  Are she and Szabla still being punished for mysterious reasons?  If those 2 play their usual minutes we win this game.  On the bright side, Dyer had a great performance tonight.

Wow, pretty soon it will be fire Brew and not Jones.  How things have changed since mid-season or so of last season.  Yes, Lloyd sat for most of first qtr and other times but was in there a lot of the 2nd half and looked freaking lost in all aspects.  Lil Red (Knox) was absolutely terrible against the press.  And agree with earlier comments, we (Knox especially) kept it sloq in backcourt bringing it up like waiting for the double team/press then couldn't do anything to get out of it.  Although Lloyd disappointed with just something like 5 pts and poor game Knox to me was the least valuable player.  This is getting ugly.  Way too many turnovers and only halfway decent outside shot on the team is Dyer.  And why did #35 (freshman I think) for UND play so much?

32 minutes ago, obborg said:

We were way too careful against their press, We seemed to just wait for the trap to come then react.  But more importantly:  Why was Loyd on the bench for so much of the first 3 quarters?  Are she and Szabla still being punished for mysterious reasons?  If those 2 play their usual minutes we win this game.  On the bright side, Dyer had a great performance tonight.

This is what I don't understand either. Unless they were shoplifting at Columbia Mall, they shouldn't be sitting out almost entire games when we are struggling to gain traction in conference play. What in the world is wrong with this team? ???

14 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

What in the world is wrong with this team?

I think their biggest problems right now are coming from off the court.  If you watch Brewster's postgame interview you will sense a grudge against Loyd and Szabla.  I think whatever they did pissed him off good.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, obborg said:

I think their biggest problems right now are coming from off the court.  If you watch Brewster's postgame interview you will sense a grudge against Loyd and Szabla.  I think whatever they did pissed him off good.

You were not kidding.

Question: What do you go to do to get more production out of Mia and Leah?

Brew: You know what, Its on them. Plain and simple.

The interviewer tried to ask a follow up but

Brew: You have to earn your way back in this program, its on them.

12 hours ago, obborg said:

12 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

You were not kidding.

Question: What do you go to do to get more production out of Mia and Leah?

Brew: You know what, Its on them. Plain and simple.

The interviewer tried to ask a follow up but

Brew: You have to earn your way back in this program, its on them.

So Brewster is willing to tank an entire season to prove a point? You suspended them for one game, now it's time to focus on winning basketball games.

Sorry Brewster, I have been one of your biggest backers, but if we tank a season because you are PO'ed at Loyd and Szabla about whatever, it is on YOU.

I thought production from the center position would be one of the biggest problems this year, but collectively Roscoe and Smith are averaging about 13 points, 10 rebounds and 3.5 blocks per game. The fact that the team is consistently losing despite these somewhat unexpected contributions is surprising and disappointing.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So Brewster is willing to tank an entire season to prove a point? You suspended them for one game, now it's time to focus on winning basketball games.

Sorry Brewster, I have been one of your biggest backers, but if we tank a season because you are PO'ed at Loyd and Szabla about whatever, it is on YOU.

Actions have consequences.  Why is it the coaches fault for implementing those consequences?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

Actions have consequences.  Why is it the coaches fault for implementing those consequences?

And he suspended them for one game. If that wasn't enough, he should have suspended them for two games (or three or whatever). But at some point, you have to move on and focus on winning basketball games. Give them a chance to learn from their mistake; if they do it again, make the discipline harsher. And if what they did was as horrible as it seems, he should just cut them.

There is a place for discipline and accountability, but at some point you end up punishing the other players who weren't involved in whatever this is or was.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

And he suspended them for one game. If that wasn't enough, he should have suspended them for two games (or three or whatever). But at some point, you have to move on and focus on winning basketball games. Give them a chance to learn from their mistake; if they do it again, make the discipline harsher. And if what they did was as horrible as it seems, he should just cut them.

There is a place for discipline and accountability, but at some point you end up punishing the other players who weren't involved in whatever this is or was.

Is Coach Brewster punishing the rest of the players, or did they do it to the rest of the players?? You don't think that he wants to win??  Good grief "we" are not in practice everyday, and have no idea what exactly has gone on.  Couldn't agree more with southpaw, and one of the big problems with society.  Always "Coach's" fault.  BS!!  The girls obviously are a problem.  Sometimes coaching isn't always about wins and losses, but also about life lessons.  He is going to make them earn it.  I say good for him!! 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, OldSchool said:

Is Coach Brewster punishing the rest of the players, or did they do it to the rest of the players?? You don't think that he wants to win??  Good grief "we" are not in practice everyday, and have no idea what exactly has gone on.  Couldn't agree more with southpaw, and one of the big problems with society.  Always "Coach's" fault.  BS!!  The girls obviously are a problem.  Sometimes coaching isn't always about wins and losses, but also about life lessons.  He is going to make them earn it.  I say good for him!! 

No, it isn't "always the coach's fault"; nobody is saying that and I know I never have said it. Like I said, if what they did was so bad, suspend them for multiple games to drive the point home. But suspending them one game and then dragging this out who knows how long is not going to be productive for anyone. This is like Brad Berry cutting ice time for several key players for several weeks (many multiple NCHC games) over some off-ice incident. Be honest, how many people would be on here saying "good for him"? I say very few, most people would be in meltdown mode over it. But because we are talking about WBB and not Men's Hockey, the response is "good for him". Inconsistent, but that is what I have come to expect here.

If this is what Brewster deems necessary to run the program the right way, then that is definitely his prerogative. But with that prerogative comes taking responsibility for the results, whether they be good or bad. He is making the decision to bench two starters to enforce discipline, then he has to own it. And yes, Brewster wants to win, obviously he knows this is a results-oriented profession. But sitting two of your best players and replacing them with freshmen will not yield the same results and he is kidding himself if he thinks it will.

I am not arguing with the need to discipline these two players, I just don't understand the method Brewster is using to do it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, UND Fan said:

I wonder what is going on with our ladies.  They are down 17-15 at halftime.  Again, lot of TOs, poor shooting, poor decision-making, etc.  Most importantly, they are playing with little enthusiasm!!  

There is no reason this team should look this bad with the talent that is on the roster. Something is wrong behind the scenes and I hope it gets fixed one way or the other. This athletic department has enough underachieving programs as is (Women's Hockey, Men's Basketball, Volleyball); we don't need Women's Basketball to join that list.

On January 8, 2016 at 10:49 AM, fightingsioux4life said:

On January 8, 2016 at 3:26 PM, fightingsioux4life said:

On January 9, 2016 at 8:36 PM, fightingsioux4life said:

No, it isn't "always the coach's fault"; nobody is saying that and I know I never have said it. Like I said, if what they did was so bad, suspend them for multiple games to drive the point home. But suspending them one game and then dragging this out who knows how long is not going to be productive for anyone. This is like Brad Berry cutting ice time for several key players for several weeks (many multiple NCHC games) over some off-ice incident. Be honest, how many people would be on here saying "good for him"? I say very few, most people would be in meltdown mode over it. But because we are talking about WBB and not Men's Hockey, the response is "good for him". Inconsistent, but that is what I have come to expect here.

If this is what Brewster deems necessary to run the program the right way, then that is definitely his prerogative. But with that prerogative comes taking responsibility for the results, whether they be good or bad. He is making the decision to bench two starters to enforce discipline, then he has to own it. And yes, Brewster wants to win, obviously he knows this is a results-oriented profession. But sitting two of your best players and replacing them with freshmen will not yield the same results and he is kidding himself if he thinks it will.

I am not arguing with the need to discipline these two players, I just don't understand the method Brewster is using to do it.

6 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

There is no reason this team should look this bad with the talent that is on the roster. Something is wrong behind the scenes and I hope it gets fixed one way or the other. This athletic department has enough underachieving programs as is (Women's Hockey, Men's Basketball, Volleyball); we don't need Women's Basketball to join that list.

So, what factual information are you basing any of this on? Without knowing the cause, it seems pretty difficult to question the effect. Comes off as just another example of an entitled fan. That, or you really need to get into the athletic department and get it cleaned up. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

49 minutes ago, choyt3 said:

So, what factual information are you basing any of this on? Without knowing the cause, it seems pretty difficult to question the effect. Comes off as just another example of an entitled fan. That, or you really need to get into the athletic department and get it cleaned up. 

So you think this team's record is indicative of the talent level in the program? I say no. The men's team was supposed to struggle, but the women's team was supposed to contend for the Big Sky title. And they are not even close to that right now. If you think asking questions about it is out of line, then by all means don't say anything. But this is a discussion forum and I will vent on here if I feel like it. That is one of the purposes of a fan forum like this. Otherwise, this would be a boring place. Or maybe that is what you want????

And it isn't my job to clean up the problems in our athletic department, it's Faison's and whomever gets hired to replace Kelley, who will be gone by the end of this week. It is quite clear that NDSU has had way more success at this Division I thing than we have (with a few exceptions here and there). And that is frustrating. And if that makes me "an entitled fan", then so be it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So you think this team's record is indicative of the talent level in the program? I say no. The men's team was supposed to struggle, but the women's team was supposed to contend for the Big Sky title. And they are not even close to that right now. If you think asking questions about it is out of line, then by all means don't say anything. But this is a discussion forum and I will vent on here if I feel like it. That is one of the purposes of a fan forum like this. Otherwise, this would be a boring place. Or maybe that is what you want????

And it isn't my job to clean up the problems in our athletic department, it's Faison's and whomever gets hired to replace Kelley, who will be gone by the end of this week. It is quite clear that NDSU has had way more success at this Division I thing than we have (with a few exceptions here and there). And that is frustrating. And if that makes me "an entitled fan", then so be it.

I agree, distractions can be stopped after a game or two but continuing this drama will kill a season, and Faison needs to get more attention to our non men's hockey sports. Seems like he cares about that one sport and leaves the rest up to chance. Make big decisions, hire the right people and get the programs on the right track. Fans are tired of being second fiddle to NDSU, winning the FCS title is one thing but winning in the dance against big named schools is another, while we struggle to reach .500 is unacceptable. Hopefully Brewster will see his error and this team can make a run towards the BSC tournament and get to the dance.

• Upvote 1