SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U Dumpster Fire Thread

geaux_sioux

It's 4>0 actually. You can't count championships from other divisions.

All the championships were won while in the same division as the other team in question... However, I will compromise.

3>0. 27 wins for the Bison. 47 for the outhouse. 3 times the schools tied

5>1. 18 wins for the farm school. 15 for the flag.

4>0. Zero wins for the Aggies. Zero for the Flag.

• Downvote 1

My money says if we left these trolls alone in here for a few days they would continue this thread and not even notice they're having their own daisy chain.

Easiest way to get rid of a troll is ignore them. Are all the bison fans that post here trolls? No. But the ones that are, I'm sure there getting a kick by all the attention they are getting by riling up quite a few posters here. I don't get to worked up about the trolls, I just don't respond. In fact it's a bit more annoying having UND posters feed into them because it just keeps them around longer. Just my 2 cents. No need to get after the moderators...moderate yourself by ignoring or putting them on ignore if you'd like.

• Upvote 1

Honestly, haven't you ever noticed that first year coaches often do show immediate improvement, but seem to be unable to continue that improvement in subsequent years? And, in many cases, end up not really being any better than their predecessors?

Hmmmm let's look at last year.  After a coaching change and things being up in the air after the 2013 season, some kids transferring etc., we could barely hold a spring game for 2014.  New coaching staff, new style, not a lot of depth going into the fall.  Then we got a ton of injuries, and yes I can hear you say injuries are just an excuse.  Yes every team has injuries, but we had a lot of injuries on a team that was already a little thin due to transfers etc.  We were starting a red shirt freshman for half of the season.  If you take the WR's that transferred out and then injuries, the second half of the season our #1 WR would have been 5th on the depth chart if not for transfers and injuries.  We laid some eggs last year for sure, and we played well at times.  If you guys were starting your 3rd string QB for half the season I'm sure your season would have panned out a little differently.  You still would have had a good team though as you have better depth at this point.  But anyway, my point is that we improved our record with all of that transfers and injuries.  We are still going to take a few lumps at times this year, but we should be more consistent.  Anything is possible and things could go downhill 3-4 years later with Bubba, but after seeing what he did with a decimated team last year we UND fans are optimistic.  So although regression is statistically possibly, we think it is true overall improvement in our program that will lead to good things to come.   Feel free on your end though to think of it as just regression however.

• Upvote 2

Easiest way to get rid of a troll is ignore them. Are all the bison fans that post here trolls? No. But the ones that are, I'm sure there getting a kick by all the attention they are getting by riling up quite a few posters here. I don't get to worked up about the trolls, I just don't respond. In fact it's a bit more annoying having UND posters feed into them because it just keeps them around longer. Just my 2 cents. No need to get after the moderators...moderate yourself by ignoring or putting them on ignore if you'd like.

Here's a refresher course for putting trolls on ignore:

Make sure you are logged in 

Click on Forums

In the upper right corner click on your nickname

A drop down box will open, click on "Manage Ignore Prefs"

Type in all the troll names you want to ignore - you can also search for any name that has bison, SU etc in the name and add that. 

Click the "Hide" option in the Post column. 

Well, in order for there to be regression to the mean that is actually statistically significant, there needs to be a reasonable sample size. College football has shown that a sample size of 3 to 5 years is reasonable, not one year.

No, "regression to mean" refers to the tendency for any extreme measure to followed (and preceded) by a more mediocre measure (i.e. - closer to the mean). It is true that we might not be able to estimate results without a larger sample, however the tendency to regress toward mediocrity exists independent of sample size.

You need to be careful that you don't interpret last year's somewhat better record as being caused by the coaching change. It may in fact be due to purely random factors, which are not likely to repeat themselves in the future. Coaches tend to get fired after a run of bad "luck." 

What's your opinion on the only real fact that matters...

12>1

I could give a sh*t if its 30 to 1. This is a UND board; our interests are independent of Moo U. In 2015, the only thing that will matter as far as UND-NDSU goes is who plays better on September 19th, not who had the bigger balls in 1990, 2011, or 2014.

• Upvote 2

No, "regression to mean" refers to the tendency for any extreme measure to followed (and preceded) by a more mediocre measure (i.e. - closer to the mean). It is true that we might not be able to estimate results without a larger sample, however the tendency to regress toward mediocrity exists independent of sample size.

You need to be careful that you don't interpret last year's somewhat better record as being caused by the coaching change. It may in fact be due to purely random factors, which are not likely to repeat themselves in the future. Coaches tend to get fired after a run of bad "luck."

You're simply referring to the law of averages, and in that case, it's needs sufficent sample size. And if you think anyone could've coached the 2014 UND football team to 5 wins and competitive games vs Montana and Montana State, you're mistaken. I suggest you take your grade school statistics - although you may have learned that at Fargo U and that wouldn't surprise me - elsewhere. After a single season, it is perfectly more reasonable to suspect improvement rather than it is to suspect simple regression, particularly given the circumstances of 2014 UND football.

Regression to mediocrity occurs spontaneously due to natural phenoma, whereas improvement occurs through concentrated effort, such as hard work. Bubba and UND football are now putting in that hard work; improvement will happen.

I wonder why the four time defending national champions of FCS are concerned at all about a team that went 5-7 last season. 

I know, right!?! So many of them spending so much time trolling around a team that "shouldn't even be on their field."

I remember you guys saying the same about Muss his second year in. 

< raises hand >

Not me.

I knew Muss was a flaky guy from watching him at Sioux Boosters events.

The instant he was hired I bemoaned it, and what I knew to be inevitably coming, to those I was with. 

(I was hoping for Mannausau if they were going to stay in-house.) 

I wonder why the four time defending national champions of FCS are concerned at all about a team that went 5-7 last season.

Fear. UND wins there goes the bragging right of the state, recruiting, etc. unless they win a NC. Just remember "You can go 11-1, and if that one is to those son of a guns north of us your season is not a success"--Rocky Hager 1995.

I remember you guys saying the same about Muss his second year in. 

Wow you've been following the comments of UND fans on a UND fan site for that long and you remember that conversation - sad...just sad. Have you ever thought about how much of your life you are wasting on this site? 

• Upvote 1

No, "regression to mean" refers to the tendency for any extreme measure to followed (and preceded) by a more mediocre measure (i.e. - closer to the mean). It is true that we might not be able to estimate results without a larger sample, however the tendency to regress toward mediocrity exists independent of sample size.

I'm sure NDSU is exempt from all this though correct?

So he uses profanity and gets a warning message but Petey calls me names and gets nothing...don't pick and choose Bin.

Whoa, pump the brakes sport. I don't think I directly called you an idiot. I merely agreed with the case presented by BisonAlumni2011 that would lead most reasonable people to believe that you are in fact an idiot. I am sorry if you misunderstood or misinterpreted my post.

Honest question for the NDSU fans (not speculation of the UND fans):

What will your reaction be on this message board IF (big if) UND wins (granted it may be dependant on big win, close game, etc.)

-UND got lucky

-SU didn't show up

-Our team wasn't healthy for that game

-Officiating lost us the game

-UND played dirty

-UND played better that expected

-Great, close football game. UND perservered. Congrats!

Just interested to know if this were to happen, if some of you will be immediately looking for excuses OR will just take the loss, say good job and move on. I suppose it will be different for each of you (again a big if)

UND ain't winning this game......in 2015.

If miracle of miracle happened, I will be disappointed if our Athletic Director doesn't walk out to the middle of the field with a briefcase containing our cash buyout for 2019, the 2019 contract and some lighter fluid. Set case down, pull out contract and lighter fluid and light contract on fire.....walk off the field and here is where I am conflicted a bit as I am not sure if he should go with the single gun or double gun salute, but I am leaning towards the double birds.

Honest question for the NDSU fans (not speculation of the UND fans):

What will your reaction be on this message board IF (big if) UND wins (granted it may be dependant on big win, close game, etc.)

"It was their Super Bowl." 

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Moo U Dumpster Fire Thread
  • UNDBIZ locked this topic