SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U Dumpster Fire Thread

geaux_sioux

2 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

A win in Fargo next year for UND could happen, very doubtful but could happen, however, it would NOT put UND in any drivers seat for a top 2 playoff seed. NDSU has only had one and possibly two undefeated years in their run. Meaning somebody beat them most years. It didn’t mean a huge playoff run or program changing year for USD, Indiana State, UNI or Montana. UND will not be a playoff seed next year win or lose Sept. 7th.

I like how people think that because UND caught NDSU in the 90’s that it will happen soon again. The 90’s to now is like apples to oranges. Neither team had a national profile back then. They weren’t on national TV at all. They weren’t playing or beating Power 5 teams. They were playing D2 football that nobody outside this region cared about. Most kids on the Twin Coties didnt even care. Who won the last 2 D2 championships? Nobody knows because nobody cares.

Like it or not, quite a few HS kids know about NDSU football all over the country. Not many know about UND fb. NDSU keeps getting some of the top athletes that play FCS fb every year. They just signed their best recruiting class ever this year in a year with coaching staff changes. 5 of their top 10 ranked kids they have ever signed are coming in next year, including the large school offensive and defensive players of the year from Wisconsin. The hill keeps getting steeper and steeper that UND needs to climb. 

NSDU will not go undefeated next year and could possibly lose to UND, but it will not change the balance of power in fb in the state. 

It can flip fast.  NDSU is losing much of its core with the recent coaching changes.  Within reason, in football coaching is much more important than recruiting.  It's going to be fun!  Playing every year from here on out!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

It can flip fast.  NDSU is losing much of its core with the recent coaching changes.  Within reason, in football coaching is much more important than recruiting.  It's going to be fun!  Playing every year from here on out!

You may be forgetting that NDSU also lost 22 or 23 seniors from the best senior class in its history along with its head coach after the 2013 season. They finished 15- 1 with another championship in 2014. 

UND could beat NDSU next year. But I'd give them no more than a 10% chance.

2 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

You may be forgetting that NDSU also lost 22 or 23 seniors and its head coach after the 2013 season. They finished 15- 1 with another championship in 2014. 

UND could beat NDSU next year. But I'd give them no more than a 10% chance.

The 4 assistants will be a far greater loss than the seniors.  Just watch.  Half the staff is gone.

1 minute ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

The 4 assistants will be a far greater loss than the seniors.  Just watch.  Half the staff is gone.

Same thing happened in 2013. NDSU survived and prospered. Will that happen next year? I wouldn't bet against it..

25 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I’m not saying your wrong, teams rise and fall every year. But NDSU lost a longer tenured head coach in Bohl and a longer tenured OC in Vigen after the 2013 year and didn’t skip a beat. All while having to replace, who at the time, was the winningest quarterback in the history of FCS/IAA football. Given that stick would break that record with a win next weekend, it’s reallt uncanny how similar the situations will be for NDSU.

Impossible to predict how it will play out with the new staff, just stating that NDSU survived the last major shakeup they went through and it’s just as likely that they roll through this one as it is the program takes a major step back.

5 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

With an average OC/QB coach last season, we win 8-9 games and are a seed in the playoffs.  With a good OC we win 10 games and are playing the Bison in a week and half.  The program is there.  We will beat NDSU next season.

I don't necessarily disagree - however, we have a head coach who can't recognize an unbelievably crappy OC from even an average one - He hired him, kept him around for 5 years, and only let him go under pressure even after watching his play calling for the 2017 season.  In addition, this head coach has a reputation for refusing to change (if he would change we wouldn't have had the special team and blocked kick fiasco again last year).  Until Bubba wakes up I am not overly optimistic. 

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I’m not saying your wrong, teams rise and fall every year. But NDSU lost a longer tenured head coach in Bohl and a longer tenured OC in Vigen after the 2013 year and didn’t skip a beat. All while having to replace, who at the time, was the winningest quarterback in the history of FCS/IAA football. Given that stick would break that record with a win next weekend, it’s reallt uncanny how similar the situations will be for NDSU.

Impossible to predict how it will play out with the new staff, just stating that NDSU survived the last major shakeup they went through and it’s just as likely that they roll through this one as it is the program takes a major step back.

This point was made on AGS by a UND person and he was ripped apart.  Funny how McFeely wrote an entire article about it just a week ago.  

It's the program, not the coaches. How are Bohl and Vigen doing since they left? 

Read McFeelys article.

8 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

This point was made on AGS by a UND person and he was ripped apart.  Funny how McFeely wrote an entire article about it just a week ago.  

It's the program, not the coaches. How are Bohl and Vigen doing since they left? 

Read McFeelys article.

The program is not bigger than the coaches.  Spectacular transition has happened once for the Bison, what are the chances it happens twice?

The su seem invincible right now. They have first pick of any player of any team in fcs (and some fbs). They are hitting on all cylinders right now.

su seems invincible and then something happens and they aren’t invincible anymore. There has been a huge change in su land. Most of the time we don’t know at the time what happened to move a team from invincible to slightly vulnerable.

time will tell if the su is finally slightly vulnerable now. Time will tell if UND is ready to take advantage of su not being invincible anymore.

let’s hope we are ready to finally turn this thing around!!! 

NDSU has had remarkable run do to good coaching, good recruiting and most importantly they have been very successful in recruiting of top flight quarterbacks. The last three has been remarkable run for FCS program. Prior to that SU had good program but when they got this level of quarterback play the program reached a new level first they had Jenson who learned to win the big one as sophomore and continued that until he was senior. His level of play was good enough to get a look at the NFL something very few FCS quarterbacks do. Then  they had local boy Wentz the number 2 overall pick in the NFL when has FCS program had that kind of quarterback. Now they have Stick who is chasing Jensen records and looks like he could be draft pick in the NFL.  Even FBS schools would like to have that kind of recruiting where they have recruited 3 future NFL quarterbacks.  SU has built a program that should be successful but it will come down to coaching and one other thing I haven't mentioned and that is key personal stay healthy which they have had over the years. Also one more point I would like to add is the success they have had gives them advantage most teams in FCS haven't had in that they get extra month and half of full practices with their team.  This allow them to develop their players much more than most FCS programs. UND hasn't had football since November 17 meaning SU players will have had practices now until January 5 how much does that develop their kids especially the skilled positions like quarterback. But like all things runs come to end and other teams rise up I have seen it all my life and so will this run.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Read McFeelys article.

I'd think most reasonable observers would respect Bohl's turnaround of the program in Wyoming. 

2 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

The su seem invincible right now. They have first pick of any player of any team in fcs (and some fbs). They are hitting on all cylinders right now.

su seems invincible and then something happens and they aren’t invincible anymore. There has been a huge change in su land. Most of the time we don’t know at the time what happened to move a team from invincible to slightly vulnerable.

time will tell if the su is finally slightly vulnerable now. Time will tell if UND is ready to take advantage of su not being invincible anymore.

let’s hope we are ready to finally turn this thing around!!! 

Didn’t some say the same thing when Bohl left NDSU? I don’t see their program falling off. To quote Paul Allen, “The pieces are in place.” 

Right now, the Bison have all the advantages. Our program is miles apart from NDSU. Look what the injury situation did to UND the last two seasons. The Hawks need more depth at the skilled positions. Running backs is an area UND is fine in, but they need some more skilled, fast  receivers. There’s one receiver that I’d call a game breaker and he missed what the 4-5 games? 

Can things change for UND? You bet, but that’s to be seen yet. 

27 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

1 winning season between 2005 and 2013. 2 winning seasons in the last 3 years. What'd I miss? 

They fired Christensen so Bohl could go 28-35 and make two bowls in five years?

Christensen went 27-35 and made two bowls in five years.

Also, go check your stats again.

10 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

They fired Christensen so Bohl could go 28-35 and make two bowls in five years?

Christensen went 27-35 and made two bowls in five years.

Also, go check your stats again.

Missed the bowl win in 2009 to get them to 7-6, so 2 winning seasons in 9 years before Bohl. 

Bohl did poorly the first 2 seasons but has finished .500 or better the last 3, which is a significant improvement over prior years. Poor records the first 2 years could be expected, as Wyoming went 9-15 in the 2 years prior to Bohl. 

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Missed the bowl win in 2009 to get them to 7-6, so 2 winning seasons in 9 years before Bohl. 

Bohl did poorly the first 2 seasons but has finished .500 or better the last 3, which is a significant improvement over prior years. Poor records the first 2 years could be expected, as Wyoming went 9-15 in the 2 years prior to Bohl. 

You win. The AD at Wyoming is getting exactly what he envisioned when hiring Bohl.

6 hours ago, Gothmog said:

NDSU has lost about 1 regular season game per year during its championship run. So far only YSU has had an appearance in Frisco after beating NDSU in the regular season and that was years later. 

It just doesn't follow that beating NDSU would somehow be magic for UND's playoff prospects.

You can think what you want, but I believe a win versus NDSU would launch UND forward for a variety of reasons. Increased team confidence and improved recruiting would be two major results of a UND win. 

When Youngstown or South Dakota came to the Fargodome and beat NDSU, was the hype the same as when UND was there? Of course not.

It’s commonplace now for NDSU fans to try reduce UND as much as possible with talk to make themselves feel that much better. But the fact remains that UND is NDSU’s true rival and the dome will be rocking when UND is there moreso than when any other team plays NDSU. That can be interpreted as the stakes are obviously high when UND plays NDSU, and as such, a UND win would be tremendously great for UND’s future. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

You guys are all over the board as to what an early season UND win would do on Sept. 7th.

I can guarantee, this forum goes nuts with a W on that day!!!!

I would venture to guess that this forum wouldn’t be the only forum to go nuts if UND beat the bisons.

Can you imagine the melt down in the bisons sites? Both ags and bisonsville!

Priceless!!!!’

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

You can think what you want, but I believe a win versus NDSU would launch UND forward for a variety of reasons. Increased team confidence and improved recruiting would be two major results of a UND win. 

When Youngstown or South Dakota came to the Fargodome and beat NDSU, was the hype the same as when UND was there? Of course not.

It’s commonplace now for NDSU fans to try reduce UND as much as possible with talk to make themselves feel that much better. But the fact remains that UND is NDSU’s true rival and the dome will be rocking when UND is there moreso than when any other team plays NDSU. That can be interpreted as the stakes are obviously high when UND plays NDSU, and as such, a UND win would be tremendously great for UND’s future. 

No, you have it backwards. As much as UND people would like to be NDSU's primary rival, it's been too long since UND accomplished anything NDSU fans respect on the field for that to be the case. Like it not, until UND builds a program worth respecting, SDSU will be NDSU's primary rival and the Marker Game will remain the most important, and the hyped, game on NDSU's schedule.

2 hours ago, Gothmog said:

No, you have it backwards. As much as UND people would like to be NDSU's primary rival, it's been too long since UND accomplished anything NDSU fans respect on the field for that to be the case. Like it not, until UND builds a program worth respecting, SDSU will be NDSU's primary rival and the Marker Game will remain the most important, and the hyped, game on NDSU's schedule.

Don’t agree respectfully 

I am guessing that su fans could accept a loss to sdsu

su fans could not accept a loss to UND.

rivalry = who do you want to beat most and lose to least 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

You wish. Sit tight little man.  

• Upvote 1

• UNDBIZ locked this topic