SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U Dumpster Fire Thread

geaux_sioux

UND finished 5-7 last year. I was wrong about 5-6.

The 2012 NDSU football team losing to the 2012 Indiana State football team has no relevance in the discussion as to the probable outcome of the 2015 game to be played between NDSU and UND.

In 2015 NDSU returns the bulk of a 2014 national championship team, all of their coaches, and is playing at home against a 2015 UND team who returns a bulk of a team that had a very bad 2014 season and was completely embarrassed by bad teams. 99.9999% of people who watched the players of the 2014 teams that NDSU and UND had and players who return in 2015 would side with my assumption that it is going to be a double digit NDSU win than would side with your, we don't know how good the teams will be.

Sounds like a team that primed for the pickings.  :p

Darell,

I have to hand it to you. You are the only person I know who would be optimistic enough to put their expectation for a game as completely unknown when your team is coming of a losing season, playing on the road against the defending national champion returning the bulk of their team and coaching staff.

You well never be known as a guy who isn't optimistic.

I don't recall any Bison fan saying that there was no chance that UND would win the game. But, analyzing this game is difficult precisely because the two teams haven't shared that many common opponents and haven't played each other for such a long time.

That said, a UND win, or even a relatively close game, is highly unlikely. Based on where the two teams have been in the recent past, I'd say the odds of an upset are <10%.

Then you haven't been reading the threads, there are certainly Bison fans on this website that claim this game is a joke and UND has no chance. That being said, I would also say around 10% based on what we know know. That number could certainly alter based on what we see the first 2 weeks. Also can't argue with what has been said on this thread about the hype playing into the game.

Even if this is not a big game for the Bison, as some fans believe, it definitely is for UND and they will certainly be playing with passion. Only time will tell.

As the CFB season gets closer and closer don't be fooled by the spin............this is a HUGE game for NDSU fans.  Most of my buddies in Fargo are SU season ticket holders and it is the only game I have heard them discuss with me or among themselves with me in their presence in the past few weeks.

Christ there you go again bringing up the past that has no relevance to this game. It doesn't ever change with you. Have I said UND couldn't win? Anything is possible. I have just said it is extremely unlikely and NDSU has a far superior team in 2015. There is not a single starter from NDSU remaining from the 2012 team and UND is not Indiana State. Indiana State actually had a winning record in 2011 in the toughest conference in the FCS, entered the season ranked in the top 25 and proved to be a top 25 team as they beat a couple of ranked teams and ended up in the top 25. They also had a runner up Walter Payton winner in Bell returning along with a good chunk of their team. See Darrell they were a fairly good team in 2011 and were a good team in 2012. The only relevant past that matters is how each team played last year and how much of their core do those two teams bring back. NDSU has a much better team returning in 2015 than UND. Period. Based on this, I feel NDSU will win. You act like each team is completely unknown at this point. When you are a defending national champion and return the majority of your core, it is safe to say you will be a good team again.

Jees guy... obsess much? You need a hobby.

• Upvote 2

I have come on here before to try to talk about the actual game but here is how it usually goes.

- I say that I expect a fairly easy NDSU victory based on the fact that they will have a significantly better team, more experienced coaches, majority of starting offense back from last year's national championship team and game is in Fargo.

- Darrell chimes in and brings up the early 90's when UND beat NDSU as a basis for why he feels it will happen again this year and brings up the 90's success of UND in the fargodome. In the process mentions 2001 and has a moment with himself.

- NDSU fans respond with reasoning as to why the 90's are not relevant to a football game in 2015 and usually states how superior this football team is to UND.

- Darrell usually fires back with another reference to the 90's and the lone D2 title that UND has and starts down the path of why UND will one day catch up to NDSU and how UND messes up by not moving up to D1 when NDSU did. Usually during this tirade he brings up women's basketball, hockey and volleyball during the early 2000's and how they were all successful.

-Another UND fan brings up forgetting the past and that they have a good thing going with Bubba and that he has the football program moving in the right direction.

- NDSU fans comment back with smart ass remarks and state that while Bubba made moderate improvements it hasnt been as great as what UND fans think.

-Darrell then gets off topic and brings up one of the three losing seasons NDSU had, in 2009, and their quick recovery into national championship form as a basis for why UND will do it as well with Bubba.

- NDSU fans bring up 12 national championships vs 1.

-A few UND fans then bring up hockey.

-Darrell brings up 2001 again

-Personal attacks start, usually in the form of calling someone a retard.

-UND fans start calling UND degrees superior to degrees from NDSU and make an ag school comment.

-Thread gets locked and a new one is created and the same cycle starts all over again

So from what you are saying, Darrell is an idiot. You make a pretty good case, I agree.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

In 2015 NDSU returns the bulk of a 2014 national championship team, ... 

Save six key starters on defense: two starting safeties, three season opening linebackers, and an all-everything defensive end. 

• Upvote 2

Save six key starters on defense: two starting safeties, three season opening linebackers, and an all-everything defensive end. 

Last I saw, they were projected to lose 11 starters, 7 on defense, 4 on offense, not to mention a pretty good kicker. 

• Upvote 1

So what - our 2 & 3's are pretty good as you'll see.  Throw in some real good rFr and we'll be alright.  I remember you guys predicting our demise in 2013 after most of our offense graduated.  What happened?  I'd rather have new good players than the same old bad players still starting. 

• Downvote 1

So what - our 2 & 3's are pretty good as you'll see.  Throw in some real good rFr and we'll be alright.  I remember you guys predicting our demise in 2013 after most of our offense graduated.  What happened?  I'd rather have new good players than the same old bad players still starting. 

So it's ok for Bison fans to predict what their team will be like, but not UND's? Ok. Got it. Thanks for clarifying. :silly:

• Upvote 1

Let's have UND knock off Wyoming for it's first FBS win before we, UND fans, get our hopes up too high. If UND gets whacked by 3+ TDs vs Wyoming it won't be any closer vs NDSU.

2011 vs Idaho, thumped. Then we turned around and had the ball to win it against Fresno St with an NFL starter at QB.

If we get thumped by Wyoming it might be a good thing for us going into Fargo. Wake the team up, show the coaches some holes to fix, and get NDSU to relax a bit more.

• Upvote 1

The safety spots are key. That is the only real question mark in my mind although Dempsey is moving to safety and has started. Board was a beast when he played. Both corners return and they are very very good. Linebackers should be fine. Deluca returns and is a beast on the middle. I can't remember the last time NDSU had a bad linebacker core. The loss of Emanuel does hurt, but they have a lot of young talent coming back. They have had great recruiting classes in the past few years and have the same Klieman defense.

In regards to offense, when you return a starting QB back aa good as Carson Wentz, 4/5 starting lineman (3 of which are preseason all Americans, your top 2 receivers back including a guy like Zach Vraa, your starting fullback in Bonnett (also preseason all American, and two running backs who saw significant playing time, I call it the bulk of your offense. The only significant loss is Crockett on offense but when was the last time NDSU had a bad running back? When you have the offensive line back like they do, almost anyone can run the ball effectively.

Even if the defense is middle of road this year, the returning talent they have on offense makes them a title contender in 2015, assuming they stay healthy.

• Downvote 1

So it's ok for Bison fans to predict what their team will be like, but not UND's? Ok. Got it. Thanks for clarifying. :silly:

No that is fine but the fact is UND does not return very many good players and Bubba still has Muss's recruits.

Bubba has done a good job of getting the most out of the players he was given, but as the saying goes, it is pretty hard to make chicken soup out of chicken &#33;@#&#036;.

Bison fans should be encouraged to post negative comments about UND football, the more incendiary the comments the better. We select the most disparaging post one week before the game and hand it to Bubba recommending it be posted in the locker room.  

• Upvote 1

No that is fine but the fact is UND does not return very many good players and Bubba still has Muss's recruits.

Bubba has done a good job of getting the most out of the players he was given, but as the saying goes, it is pretty hard to make chicken soup out of chicken !@#$.

It is not wrong to presume that our defense will be better from last year and I don't really care what you wanna play with in regards to stats, that was a good defense, consistently, last season. It's been said before, when our offense can barely muster 200 yards a game (no idea of the real number, just a flat guess), it puts all the pressure on the D.

Yup. The key to a Tampa Two scheme is the safeties and the MLB. All are new to the starting role.

Ya I get the two safeties but you act like NDSU has nothing to replace them. Dempsey is a good player and has started and Board was a gigantic recruit who rotated in last year flawlessly and was their best player on special teams. They could turn out to suck, but I don't think that will be the case.

Deluca started the last 5 games for NDSU and during that stretch he was their leading tackler and leader in interceptions. When he was on the field last year, the second best Bison defensive player to Emanuel. I guess I don't really view him as being a new starter like you do.

It is not wrong to presume that our defense will be better from last year and I don't really care what you wanna play with in regards to stats, that was a good defense, consistently, last season. It's been said before, when our offense can barely muster 200 yards a game (no idea of the real number, just a flat guess), it puts all the pressure on the D.

Right I get it. They probably will be better. Call it what you would like, but good defenses are generally ranked higher than 35th in the FCS. They closed out the season giving up 33 points to freaking Northern Colorado. They were an average at best defense last year. When I think of the term good coupled with the word defense, I think of teams like 2000 Baltimore Ravens, 2006 Chicago Bears etc. Defenses that largely no matter how bad the offense was, largely &#33;@#&#036; the opponent down. UND's defense was steamrolled last year against some very poor offenses. They had one good game against a beat up Montana team, who by the way didn't have a great offense last year. If anything, the best performance they had was against Montana State but they followed that up with several poor performances.

Ya I get the two safeties but you act like NDSU has nothing to replace them. Dempsey is a good player and has started and Board was a gigantic recruit who rotated in last year flawlessly and was their best player on special teams. They could turn out to suck, but I don't think that will be the case.

May be exaggerating a wee bit, bro.  Like a lot.  

Right I get it. They probably will be better. Call it what you would like, but good defenses are generally ranked higher than 35th in the FCS. They closed out the season giving up 33 points to freaking Northern Colorado. They were an average at best defense last year.

Ok so now we were average. If I keep disproving you, will you continue to bump us up? Our defense was good.

34th in FCS in total defense out of 121 while the offense was 115 in total offense. Again, if we had an even somewhat relevant offense last season, our ranking would be much higher.

Ok so now we were average. If I keep disproving you, will you continue to bump us up? Our defense was good.

I just don't generally call the 35th ranked defense who were embarrassed several times as being good. I think they had a few good performances last year but overall wouldn't call them good.

34th in FCS in total defense out of 121 while the offense was 115 in total offense. Again, if we had an even somewhat relevant offense last season, our ranking would be much higher.

Yes I get that to a degree. NDSU has several poor offensive performances last year. Weber State comes to mind. Defense still only gave up 7 points. That is what I call good.

This all boils down to 2015 matchup. I think UND will have a good defense based on last year's average performance and continued player growth. With that being said, I think NDSU returns an offense that will be able to put a good amount points on UND's defense. I think NDSU will have an average defense that will not have a huge amount of problems containing a UND offense that doesn't return a lot of talent.

2011 vs Idaho, thumped. Then we turned around and had the ball to win it against Fresno St with an NFL starter at QB.

If we get thumped by Wyoming it might be a good thing for us going into Fargo. Wake the team up, show the coaches some holes to fix, and get NDSU to relax a bit more.

Stop comparing the Mussman regime to the present one. That Fresno State game was nothing but a moral victory. UND football is no longer about that, thank God.