SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 Recruiting

UND Fan

actually easier to slip under the radar in football than hoops. Kids get exposure on the AAU circut.   NDSU saw a ton of this kid but did not offer. No problem with this offer however Billy Brown is another kid coming in with only one offer. Not a good trend .

5 hours ago, hoops44 said:

actually easier to slip under the radar in football than hoops. Kids get exposure on the AAU circut.   NDSU saw a ton of this kid but did not offer. No problem with this offer however Billy Brown is another kid coming in with only one offer. Not a good trend .

Why don't we let them prove themselves here before bashing them? K thanks. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, hoops44 said:

Just using UND & NDSU in the last few years. 1 D1 offer kids who turned out ok. 

Ben Woodside

Brett Winkelmann

Mike Nelson

Taylor Braun 

Lawrence Alexander

Marshall Bjorkland 

Dexter Werner

Troy Huff

Jamal Webb

Aaron Anderson

Brandon Brekke

Josh Schuler

Geno Crandall

probably more if I looked into it but a pretty good list of high caliber players. 

Off the top off my head I believe Chad Calceterra and Shanks were 2-3 star recruits with lots of offers.  Nothing against either of them and Shanks still has time but there is 7-8 pro players on that list above.

How many offers does it take for a recruit to be legit in your mind?

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, nodakhoops said:

Ben Woodside

Brett Winkelmann

Mike Nelson

Taylor Braun 

Lawrence Alexander

Marshall Bjorkland 

Dexter Werner

Troy Huff

Jamal Webb

Aaron Anderson

Brandon Brekke

Josh Schuler

Geno Crandall

probably more if I looked into it but a pretty good list of high caliber players. 

Off the top off my head I believe Chad Calceterra and Shanks were 2-3 star recruits with lots of offers.  Nothing against either of them and Shanks still has time but there is 7-8 pro players on that list above.

I think Huff actually had an offer from Montana. But I agree with your overall point. 

1 hour ago, nodakhoops said:

Ben Woodside

Brett Winkelmann

Mike Nelson

Taylor Braun 

Lawrence Alexander

Marshall Bjorkland 

Dexter Werner

Troy Huff

Jamal Webb

Aaron Anderson

Brandon Brekke

Josh Schuler

Geno Crandall

25 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Plenty of these guys had more than one offer....The more offers the better the prospect....generally true

He is much better now than Luke Martinez and Joe Hansted were in high school.  

Talking to coaches his lack of offers to this point were not due to play on the court.   I'm sure you knew that though.  Biggest challenge for him will be off the court.  

13 hours ago, Texas rancher said:

His dad must have been lying to me then?  It was a partial, not a full.

Either your full of it or they really didn't want him if they only offered a partial since that is almost unheard of at the D1 level. Scholarships can't be split like in FCS football, D1 basketball is a headcount sport, not an equivalency sport, so offers are full rides.  

1 hour ago, Dagger said:

Bison fans this Spring were saying Moody was an absolute stud and a great player.   He is well worth the risk.  Whenever you can get a North Dakota kid it is good.

i was doing some googling to see why he only had one offer at this point and came across a bison forum. it was interesting to see them go from begging him to go there to saying he was barely good enough for U-Mary when he committed to UND

Don't know much about the kid and I don't follow recruiting for any sport very closely at all.  But I am pleased that UND apparently got one of the top in state recruits.  IMO, UND should always make a serious effort to get at least one of the top North Dakota kids to come here every single year.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Dagger said:

Bison fans this Spring were saying Moody was an absolute stud and a great player.   He is well worth the risk.  Whenever you can get a North Dakota kid it is good.

Yeah, there were some upset bison fans on twitter. They were not happy with the coaching staff for not not going after this kid; sounds like his family had some ties to NDSU. Hope he can turn into a stud for UND. I'm still not a fan of Jones (yet), but last season was a nice step in the right direction. If he can carry that momentum into this season, I'll give him a little more leeway. Crandall needs to step up big this season.Played well last year, but needs to become dominant the way that Hooker did.

13 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Yeah, there were some upset bison fans on twitter. They were not happy with the coaching staff for not not going after this kid; sounds like his family had some ties to NDSU. Hope he can turn into a stud for UND. I'm still not a fan of Jones (yet), but last season was a nice step in the right direction. If he can carry that momentum into this season, I'll give him a little more leeway. Crandall needs to step up big this season.Played well last year, but needs to become dominant the way that Hooker did.

I am a Bison fan that thought if they were going to get a ND kid this year it should be Moody, but I trust the NDSU coaching staff. It sounds like Jones did a good job of selling the fact that they play an undisciplined run and gun game that kids like and Moody didn't like the fact NDSU likes to actually play a half court offense and get it inside at times, Jones's problem is not  getting talented kids on campus, it it developing them and getting them to play a team game once they get on campus. 

8 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

I am a Bison fan that thought if they were going to get a ND kid this year it should be Moody, but I trust the NDSU coaching staff. It sounds like Jones did a good job of selling the fact that they play an undisciplined run and gun game that kids like and Moody didn't like the fact NDSU likes to actually play a half court offense and get it inside at times, Jones's problem is not  getting talented kids on campus, it it developing them and getting them to play a team game once they get on campus. 

Lol...that is what you took from the article?  

You obviously didn't watch UND last year as their offense was actually very structured for once, with some secondary plays off the initial ball screen or weave.   Very few teams were as boring as NDSU last year.  That was small ball at its peak.

1 hour ago, hoops44 said:

with only one open offer to fill and Jones in the final year of contract there is no compelling reason to give jones a contract extension for recruiting purposes

You don't think coaches recruit during the season? Tough to go into a junior in high school's home and ask them to come to UND when you don't have a contract past March.

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

You don't think coaches recruit during the season? Tough to go into a junior in high school's home and ask them to come to UND when you don't have a contract past March.

well with only 2 seniors on team that is minimized ...most of the guys they signed were not offered prior to march of their senior year...most serious contact occurs later on 

7 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

well with only 2 seniors on team that is minimized ...most of the guys they signed were not offered prior to march of their senior year...most serious contact occurs later on 

Weren't offered prior to March of their senior year? Moody just committed before his senior year started and they already have at least 9 offers out to the Class of 2018.

They already have 1 of the 2 spots filled to replace Baldwin and Hooker (Moody) and will likely have the other locked up before the season starts. It is replacing the 4 juniors on scholarship that will be the near impossible task without at least some sort of token extension.