SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were 7 (vote!)

jimdahl

Which remaining names are acceptable  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Which could you live with? (vote more than one)

• Fighting Hawks
    • Green Hawks
    • Nodaks
    • North Dakota
    • North Stars
    • Roughriders
    • Sundogs

How in the H E Double Hockey Sticks is North Stars still an option.

What a shyte show.

Sundogs can also instantly go so there we have it down to 5.

Green Hawks can fly into a window so, gone......down to 4.

Roughriders is as original as an SNL skit....gone......to the 3.

North Dakota

Nodak

Fighting Hawks......

Send em up for a vote.....who gives a shyte. I'll never refer to the teams by it.

Myself, my kids, their kids, and their great great grandkids will have enough Fighting Sioux gear to wear long after they're all enslaved by their PC libtard overlords.

Yep!

To your point, going with just North Dakota or Nodaks would be equally self-depricating, in that UND can't even come up with a real nickname, but can only re-use the state name, or worse yet, can't even use the whole name and have to shorten it to something that will make us look dumb and unimaginative.

I'd rather be talked about for not being able to come up with a nickname than laughed at for being a Sundog!

Anybody read this scoring sheet?

http://und.edu/university-public-affairs/_files/docs/nickname/screening-filters.pdf

#7 really sticks out to me.  I think some of the best names out their are the "unique" ones that people don't initially understand but in learning the name, end up learning something about the school/region/area/ people/etc.  I think Tarheels, Hoosiers, and Sooners are great names vs. hawks, eagles, etc.

• Upvote 1

The only criteria tha you could make an argument for the Roughriders doesn't represent is not being unique.  Yes, its true that other teams at other levels in others sports are using it.  But in the relm of the NCAA, no one is using it.  So I will admit that Roughriders doesn't fit the criteria 100%.  But it is probably at 98% of all the criteria.  Which is better than 25% or worse for the other names!!

Very true.

I still lean more towards ND, NS (or some variation of Stars), or Nodaks.

I'm a Red River HS alum, and most of the other alums I've talked with have some pride in the name and like the idea of UND adopting it.  It will be way easier for students and fans to identify with than an abstract/weather-related phenomenon like sundogs, or just another bird (or moth).  I still fear that they'll pick a weak name that nobody identifies with, and botch it up for generations to come.

I am also a RR HS alum, and I have no problem with UND using the name. I like the name and it is the best option.

North Dakota Nodaks

North Dakota Nodaks

North Dakota Nodaks

North Dakota Nodaks

North Dakota Nodaks

North Dakota Nodaks

Read all six times.....twelve if necessary. It is just a tick better than Sundogs.

****note**** Tick may be a huge exaggeration.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I do wish the committee would come out and say "we don't mean North Dakota as a nickname; we mean 'no nickname'". 

Why? "North Dakota" as a nickname would be in violation of the NCAA policy because Dakota is a tribe name and can not be used as a nickname. Yes, I'm harping on this point, but people need to know what the intention is, because I really don't believe they mean "North Dakota" as the nickname and should say so to be clear. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

North Dakota Nodaks

North Dakota Nodaks

North Dakota Nodaks

North Dakota Nodaks

North Dakota Nodaks

North Dakota Nodaks

Read all six times.....twelve if necessary. It is just a tick better than Sundogs.

I actually didn't find it that hard to say. :)

North Dakota Nodaks

North Dakota Nodaks

North Dakota Nodaks

North Dakota Nodaks

North Dakota Nodaks

North Dakota Nodaks

How long before the ESPN and other random media guys just start calling us the "Nodak Nodaks".

There's a loss right there.

You want them saying "University of North Dakota" and then the nickname (Roughriders ;) ) for the brand and market identification. 

• Upvote 1

I just voted for Roughriders.

I never, ever thought that as a Grand Forks Central Redskin alum, I'd one day be voting for Red River's nickname to be that of UND's.

That said, I have always grudgingly thought 'Roughriders' was a pretty cool name. It's definitely original; I don't know of many other teams who use it other than the CFL football team. It can be shortened by fans to just 'Riders' so that's pretty cool. Plus, I bet some pretty cool logos could be created for this. Finally, "North Dakota Roughriders" flows and has a nice ring to it.

• Upvote 4

To the points made by RR alums, I agree that most if not all would feel honored by UND using the name; not insulted. Not to mention, if the standard is to avoid using a nickname that's already used by another institution, then 99% of the other colleges and universities should change their names.

Colorado College makes no bones about it that they picked Tigers because they wanted to give the impression that they were the "Princeton of the west." Yet, today I don't hear cries for CC to come up with a new nickname.

These consultants must have gone to college in MN because they have been trying to persuade the committee to not vote for rough riders and to vote for a dumb Hawks name. We need to quit wasting money and fire them. I don't care what urban dictionary says about rough riders because that is not what the name Means to me.

I rather be a truck stop condom than two naked gays guys on the beach doing you know what ......

• Upvote 1

I do wish the committee would come out and say "we don't mean North Dakota as a nickname; we mean 'no nickname'". 

Why? "North Dakota" as a nickname would be in violation of the NCAA policy because Dakota is a tribe name and can not be used as a nickname. Yes, I'm harping on this point, but people need to know what the intention is, because I really don't believe they mean "North Dakota" as the nickname and should say so to be clear.

Beating it to death...
  • Upvote 2

You can vote repeatedly. Thus, angry and motivated Fighting Sioux Forever folks are voting for North Dakota over and over. The numbers are beyond skewed.

You beat me to it. Somehow they think an unscientific newspaper poll is going to be a saving grace.

• Downvote 1

Here's a link to the latest "In-Forum" poll.  http://www.inforum.com/basic-page/3767452-inforum-nickname-challenge-final-7

Roughriders currently in the lead.  No idea how many votes though.

The speed at which "no nickname" went from losing by 12% or so (37-27) to up by 8% (40-32) was confusing until I ran across a couple "Fighting Sioux Forever" Facebook posts with people proclaiming about the tons of votes they had entered and encouraging other to do the same.  But don't worry, it will get passed as legitimate by the Forum and apparently Rob Port.

This is exactly why if there is any sort of public vote that it needs to have significant controls.

Also, Facebook comments must be where all the intelligent folk moved on to after the GF Herald and Fargo Forum shut down their comments section. Uneducated hot takes galore!!

The speed at which "no nickname" went from losing by 12% or so (37-27) to up by 8% (40-32) was confusing until I ran across a couple "Fighting Sioux Forever" Facebook posts with people proclaiming about the tons of votes they had done and encouraging other to do the same.

Combination of that and probably Rob Port continuously voting Nodth Dakota to support his agenda.