SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were 7 (vote!)

jimdahl

Which remaining names are acceptable  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Which could you live with? (vote more than one)

• Fighting Hawks
    • Green Hawks
    • Nodaks
    • North Dakota
    • North Stars
    • Roughriders
    • Sundogs

@AnnagatorB: #Newnickname meeting extended-They're discussing putting UND/ND in the voting just to see what the public thinks, not for consideration.

Waste of time.

Ya great plan, then everyone will vote for this stupid idea and it will cause even more arguments as it would get the most votes and not be used.

This is a 2 step process

1) pick a nickname and get it done with.

2) move on with life as it is just a nickname.

So, obviously if Fighting Hawks is tops on their list, then their criteria is just the biggest joke. Don't request nickname proposals from the public with the criteria you would like to meet, when you meet practically none of that same criteria with your latest rankings!

So, obviously if Fighting Hawks is tops on their list, then their criteria is just the biggest joke. Don't request nickname proposals from the public with the criteria you would like to meet, when you meet practically none of that same criteria with your latest rankings!

Amen.

Fighting Hawks doesn't rank very high on their own list.

Amen.

Fighting Hawks doesn't rank very high on their own list.

Yes, how about someone at this meeting taking the time to run down each of the names as it pertains to their own criteria. Rank them numerically as they meet uniqueness, source of pride, pertaining to the state, etc. As someone else said, how about some leadership.
  • Upvote 1

Hawks is just So unoriginal though.

In today's ncaa hockey game it's the UND Fighting Hawks VS the UML River Hawks.

I can only get so proud of a name knowing it's the same one as tons of other universities in this country.

Pretty much how I feel too.  Fighting Hawks isn't that bad of a nickname.  it's just that everyone else has a variety of it too.   Not my way of doing things.

My prediction:

In this long sequence of wacky, unpredictable twists and turns, and strange moves, and no moves, I predict one more thing that none of us saw coming. 

I will give you at least half credit for this but it was teetering on the brink.  Hopefully that was the last "unpredictable" twist. 

@AnnagatorB: #Newnickname meeting extended-They're discussing putting UND/ND in the voting just to see what the public thinks, not for consideration.

After reading the article in the Herald it is once again apparent that the liberals are whining, er, i mean winning out again. The administrators, professors, don't want "North Dakota" but the committee members who are involved with running an everyday business are being thrown aside. Good Lord, even the name of our state is offensive to these folks. The committee was stacked so that no way could the people get what they wanted. This is eerily familiar to the Standing Rock vote...... or lack there of....the people weren't allowed to!!! A vote means absolutely nothing anymore. Amazing. 

Then there's always the use of a feather as a icon - which closely resembles an eagle feather - which closely resembles....

I wouldn't get my hopes up.  In the world of academia, only Native Americans have ever adorned themselves with feathers, used arrows, or been a warrior, therefore, none are allowed.