SiouxSports.com Forum

"New Americans" what do they bring to the table in the region

Redneksioux

Where's the petition that I hear is going around North Dakota to stop LSS? 

What if they got enough votes to put it on the states ballot? 

It depends on whether NDSU football players get involved.  Sorry..............I just could not resist.

We have hundreds of Somali immigrants working in our factory in the Twin Cities and most do a great job just like any other group of people.  The bad ones weed themselves out and the good ones keep their jobs. 

i imagine just like any other population group

Here's the part that drives me crazy.  My local community recently had a trailer park close.  The owner was looking to sell the land because it was more valuable than the operation of the park.  The park had 60 families.  Those families were a mix of retired and entry level workers (Latino) but they were all living within their means and doing the best they can.

Here is the story of one resident:

After her house in Grand Forks, North Dakota was destroyed by a flood.  She bought her mobile home for $9,500. As is the case with most mobile home residents, she owns the unit she lives in, but rents the lot on which it sits for just over $300 a month.

And another:

On any given day, you might find her working at Sam Goody. Or Nordstrom's Rack. Or Tony Roma's restaurant.  She says she works 15 hours a day between the three jobs. "And it is tiring," ..........  she adds.  "I like everything in my house," Ramirez says. "It took us a long time to get this house. Everything we have we struggled to have."

Now, the residents try to form a CO-OP but are unable to raise the capital that is required.  When they approach the city to partner with them.  The city government declines and then provides the following quotes.

The City of Bloomington says it's sympathetic to the housing needs of its low income residents, but the closing of Shady Lane had to do with forces beyond its control.
"It was really a question of money," says City of Bloomington attorney Sandra Johnson.

From another news article.

When Shady Lane Court – a community that was overwhelmingly people of color (74%) and predominantly Latino (56%) – received closure notices in 2005, city officials did not offer support and made such statements as: “It’s time for a reality check; maybe some people can’t afford to live in Bloomington.”

And then the City goes into a semi smear campaign with the following quotes:

Attorney Sandra Johnson had indeed been documenting problems at Shady Lane for a long time before the park closed. Bankers boxes of files on Shady Lane line the floor under her desk. "I've got archive boxes on this particular file that start from the mid-'90s, when it became a real eyesore, at least from the city's perspective," Johnson says..

There's also documentation of some of the more idiosyncratic residents. As Johnson puts it, mobile homes sometimes draw people who want to live under the radar. She holds out a picture of a unit where the windows are covered with flies.  Some of the stranger stories are the stuff of lore about trailer parks. But according to Johnson, the real problem at Shady Lane was the array of health, environmental, and building code violations.

Ultimately the park closes, and all of the residents are relocated.  The government was able to help 10 of the 60 resident families because they qualified for assistance.

Now we fast forward a couple of years, a new project is started at the Shady Lane location.  It's called the Crossings at Valley View.  It is a $10 million dollar project that provides residents for 50 families.  Rents on all 50 units are affordable to families at or below 50 percent of area median income, with four units being further restricted to 30 percent of area median income.  In other words all units are subsidized.  The building of the project itself is heavily subsidized by government agencies/non profits and by local government.  The City of Bloomington and the County provide approximately $1 million dollars.  So, the market forces that the City was talking about was in fact themselves.  I really don't consider those market forces.  

If you look into the numbers it's crazy.  The average house prices in that area when this project was completed was right around $120,000 to $170,000.  Yet, the government builds a project that costs $200,000 per unit and provides further monthly assistance for rent for the foreseeable future.  So, who do they get the money from... the neighbors who are living within their means.  

In a nutshell the government decided to relocate/dump on one population (retired/down on their luck/entry level-Latino) for another (New American).  They hide behind the claim of market forces/diversity/inclusiveness but actually force the people they relocated to subsidize their replacement.  This is the problem that I have with this stuff.  I would rather help the people not expecting anything versus the groups working the system and expecting everything to be given to them.  But, why wouldn't they expect everything to be given to them - it is the precedence that our leaders have set.  I have a great taxi driver story trying to get home from the MSP after an international business flight.

Edited by FSSD
  • Upvote 4

Here's the part that drives me crazy.  My local community recently had a trailer park close.  The owner was looking to sell the land because it was more valuable than the operation of the park.  The park had 60 families.  Those families were a mix of retired and entry level workers (Latino) but they were all living within their means and doing the best they can.

Here is the story of one resident:

After her house in Grand Forks, North Dakota was destroyed by a flood.  She bought her mobile home for $9,500. As is the case with most mobile home residents, she owns the unit she lives in, but rents the lot on which it sits for just over $300 a month.

And another:

On any given day, you might find her working at Sam Goody. Or Nordstrom's Rack. Or Tony Roma's restaurant.  She says she works 15 hours a day between the three jobs. "And it is tiring," ..........  she adds.  "I like everything in my house," Ramirez says. "It took us a long time to get this house. Everything we have we struggled to have."

Now, the residents try to form a CO-OP but are unable to raise the capital that is required.  When they approach the city to partner with them.  The city government declines and then provides the following quotes.

The City of Bloomington says it's sympathetic to the housing needs of its low income residents, but the closing of Shady Lane had to do with forces beyond its control.
"It was really a question of money," says City of Bloomington attorney Sandra Johnson.

From another news article.

When Shady Lane Court – a community that was overwhelmingly people of color (74%) and predominantly Latino (56%) – received closure notices in 2005, city officials did not offer support and made such statements as: “It’s time for a reality check; maybe some people can’t afford to live in Bloomington.”

And then the City goes into a semi smear campaign with the following quotes:

Attorney Sandra Johnson had indeed been documenting problems at Shady Lane for a long time before the park closed. Bankers boxes of files on Shady Lane line the floor under her desk. "I've got archive boxes on this particular file that start from the mid-'90s, when it became a real eyesore, at least from the city's perspective," Johnson says..

There's also documentation of some of the more idiosyncratic residents. As Johnson puts it, mobile homes sometimes draw people who want to live under the radar. She holds out a picture of a unit where the windows are covered with flies.  Some of the stranger stories are the stuff of lore about trailer parks. But according to Johnson, the real problem at Shady Lane was the array of health, environmental, and building code violations.

Ultimately the park closes, and all of the residents are relocated.  The government was able to help 10 of the 60 resident families because they qualified for assistance.

Now we fast forward a couple of years, a new project is started at the Shady Lane location.  It's called the Crossings at Valley View.  It is a $10 million dollar project that provides residents for 50 families.  Rents on all 50 units are affordable to families at or below 50 percent of area median income, with four units being further restricted to 30 percent of area median income.  In other words all units are subsidized.  The building of the project itself is heavily subsidized by government agencies/non profits and by local government.  The City of Bloomington and the County provide approximately $1 million dollars.  So, the market forces that the City was talking about was in fact themselves.  I really don't consider those market forces.  

If you look into the numbers it's crazy.  The average house prices in that area when this project was completed was right around $120,000 to $170,000.  Yet, the government builds a project that costs $200,000 per unit and provides further monthly assistance for rent for the foreseeable future.  So, who do they get the money from... the neighbors who are living within their means.  

In a nutshell the government decided to relocate/dump on one population (retired/down on their luck/entry level-Latino) for another (New American).  They hide behind the claim of market forces/diversity/inclusiveness but actually force the people they relocated to subsidize their replacement.  This is the problem that I have with this stuff.  I would rather help the people not expecting anything versus the groups working the system and expecting everything to be given to them.  But, why wouldn't they expect everything to be given to them - it is the precedence that our leaders have set.  I have a great taxi driver story trying to get home from the MSP after an international business flight.

There are all types of 'immigrants' moving to the mid-west.  I recently cared for a young, single, unemployed, American-born mother of three who had just moved to North Central Minnesota from Florida. All of her support systems were in Florida except for one friend who had encouraged this young lady to move to Minnesota.  Her answer to why had she moved to Minnesota was 'the benefits' (medical assistance, housing assistance, welfare assistance, food stamps, etc.) are a lot better in Minnesota than Florida'.  She is not an uncommon 'immigrant'. I bet there are more people like her settling in the midwest than those imported by LSS.  Can she and 'her kind' be refused residence or can she be deported back to Florida?

• 1 month later...

Nice "plant" in the crowd today for Obama and the pope, eh?  Five year old girl just happens to be picked up by the pope so he can kiss her and be handed a shirt to "rescue" DAPA so she can stay in the USA with her illegal parents.  Just tug at the heart-strings of good old America.  Nicely done, pope!

Sophie, from South Gate, California, then handed the leader of the Catholic church a bright yellow t-shirt that read: 'Pope: rescue DAPA, so the legalization would be your blessing.' The letter said: 'I believe I have the right to live with my parents, I have the right to be happy.' 'All immigrants just like my dad help feed this country. They deserve to live with dignity. They deserve to live with respect. They deserve an immigration reform.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3246811/Five-year-old-daughter-illegal-immigrants-gets-past-Washington-security-barricades-deliver-Pope-Francis-letter-pleading-help-family-stay-U-S.html

• Upvote 1

Nice "plant" in the crowd today for Obama and the pope, eh?  Five year old girl just happens to be picked up by the pope so he can kiss her and be handed a shirt to "rescue" DAPA so she can stay in the USA with her illegal parents.  Just tug at the heart-strings of good old America.  Nicely done, pope!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3246811/Five-year-old-daughter-illegal-immigrants-gets-past-Washington-security-barricades-deliver-Pope-Francis-letter-pleading-help-family-stay-U-S.html

I saw that too. Nothing surprises me any more with this POTUS and his crew.

How Sophie from CA wound up in DC today is just coincidence............

• 2 weeks later...

She can stay. Her parents broke the law and need to return.....Assuming they are good respectable people I would assume they would take their 5 year old daughter with them but I guess that is their choice.

In DC now chaporing my 9th grade daughter's history trip this week. 

How far this country has strayed from the founding Fathers basic tenants is staggering when one really digs into it.

In DC now chaporing my 9th grade daughter's history trip this week. 

How far this country has strayed from the founding Fathers basic tenants is staggering when one really digs into it.

Bernie Sanders...packing them in. Scary indeed.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Let's not rush to judgement, Oxbow6. MSNBC is reporting that what happened in Paris was caused by Confederate flags and Donald Trump.

The poster on this site Fighting Sioux Hockey believes in that MSNBC theory............

To answer the question in this thread title I think one only needs to look at what happened in Paris yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised if some type of terrorist attack will occur in this region, MSP and/or FM, sooner than later. MSP has one of the highest population of Muslims in the US and the FM area is taking in per capita more "New Americans" than almost anywhere in the US. I'm a big advocate of the 2nd Amendment. I strictly own guns I use for hunting but after watching and reading what happened in Paris I will be getting a Conceal and Carry permit ASAP with the purchase of some small firearms. This country has strayed too far from the principals of our Founding Fathers. We have become way too tolerant of other cultures as our own Christian liberties have slowly been stripped away and at some point the country is going reap what it sowed. If this offends anyone I apologize and all I ask is let me know how much your one way ticket is to Paris to help serve and protect those under siege and I'll mail you a check immediately......and I'm not kidding. Our currency says "In God We Trust" and we need to get back to that as a nation.......but carrying a .38 with hollow points to boot won't hurt.

I think our founding fathers were pro immigration and pro religious freedomn. So stopping people from legally entering the country based on their religion seems very anti founding fathers.  

• Upvote 2