SiouxSports.com Forum

Biggest drawback for each remaining name (final 15)

jimdahl

To summarize the last dozen posts:

North Dakota -

not a new nickname (may lose on marketing and other reasons all schools have nicknames),

forces media to create de facto nicknames (go green!),

no closure (extends life of Fighting Sioux),

some worry that the previous may run afoul of the NCAA,

kicking the can down the road (will students who no longer care about Sioux demand a nickname in 5-10 years?)

To summarize the rest of the posts in this string ... remaining names on the list are pure garbage (exception of possibly RoughRiders and Cavalry).

Based on what I have read and seen in the voting polls (though not the most accurate measure.

Top 3 should be (in no particulat order):

Cavalry

North Dakota

Roughriders

• Upvote 2

The biggest drawbacks I see against each name.

Blaze: I can't even think of a drawback. Its just so stupid, there is nothing else to say about it.

Cavalry: Probably the negative Native American connotations. Still one of the better names on the list.

Explorers: Can't be shortened. Tough to come up with a cool logo. Still decent name compared to others.

Fighting Green: It doesn't exist

Fighting Hawks: It doesn't exist. I'm picturing a hawk with boxing gloves on its wings. How embarrassing would that be for the university?

Force: Intangible thing. Already used in Fargo.

Green Hawks: It doesn't exist. 

Nodaks: Tough to come up with a logo for. North Dakota Nodaks seems redundant. 

North Dakota: Allows the old name to fester. We would more than likely return to the exact same spot we are in right now in a couple years. It would result in a complete waste of money from this whole process. I'm not sure if I necessarily believe the Marco Hunt thing, but the NCAA controls everything and they like to come down hard on small schools. Don't give them any further reasons to be assholes.

North Stars: Minnesota

Pride: Intangible thing. Hard to have any real pride in an intangible nickname. Only not terrible way to do this would be with some sort of lion logo but that still has nothing to do with North Dakota. The only other group of animals called a pride is peacocks.

Roughriders: Other people's negatives seem to be they don't like the fact that roughriders is a state nickname or else they don't like that RRHS is the roughriders. It is a state nickname though so ignore the first reason. And RRHS impacts nothing. Nobody outside of North Dakota and a very large number of people in North Dakota have no idea what Red River's nickname is.

Spirit: Intangible. 

Sundogs: I didn't think it sounded bad until I found out what a sundog was. 

Thunderhawks: Native American association. It's stupid. NDSU is already something thunder related (even though they stole it from Marshall)

• Upvote 2

Fighting Green - That's two adjectives describing nothing.  Just awful, don't know why it's still on the list (or how it was even suggested by someone in the first place).

Fighting Hawks - Sounds awful.  Desperate attempt to hold onto "Fighting" by throwing it together with the generic name that consultants always seem to push.
Green Hawks - Dumb. There's no such thing as a green hawk.  Or are we talking about environmentally friendly hawks?  Perhaps the logo can be a hawk carrying a plastic bottle towards a recycling bin.  
Thunder Hawks - Least terrible of the 4, but still pretty bad.

In summary, I'd rather just be "Hawks" than have it paired with any of the awful adjectives they chose.  These 4, along with pride (setting ourselves up here), blaze (ok Cheech), spirit (what?), sundogs (well at least we can just steal Hawaii's rainbow logo and save some money), and force (Fargo?) should not make the final ballot.

• Upvote 2

Blaze: I can't even think of a drawback. Its just so stupid, there is nothing else to say about it.

Cavalry: Probably the negative Native American connotations. Still one of the better names on the list.

Explorers: Can't be shortened. Tough to come up with a cool logo. Still decent name compared to others.

Fighting Hawks: It doesn't exist. I'm picturing a hawk with boxing gloves on its wings. How embarrassing would that be for the university?

North Dakota: Allows the old name to fester. We would more than likely return to the exact same spot we are in right now in a couple years. It would result in a complete waste of money from this whole process. I'm not sure if I necessarily believe the Marco Hunt thing, but the NCAA controls everything and they like to come down hard on small schools. Don't give them any further reasons to be assholes.

Pride: Intangible thing. Hard to have any real pride in an intangible nickname. Only not terrible way to do this would be with some sort of lion logo but that still has nothing to do with North Dakota. The only other group of animals called a pride is peacocks.

Roughriders: Other people's negatives seem to be they don't like the fact that roughriders is a state nickname or else they don't like that RRHS is the roughriders. It is a state nickname though so ignore the first reason. And RRHS impacts nothing. Nobody outside of North Dakota and a very large number of people in North Dakota have no idea what Red River's nickname is.

Thunderhawks: Native American association. It's stupid. NDSU is already something thunder related (even though they stole it from Marshall)

Well said. Pretty much my exact thoughts as well.

Cavalry is the only name that really would catch on & I find that if so many Native Americans did not like us honoring the Sioux then it's tough that we would honor the Cavalry that helped us settle this part of the country

The rest of the names are terrible & I will remain Fighting Sioux for the rest of my life

But Cavalry seems a good choice in light of all the factors that took away Fighting Sioux

Im so sick of all the PC whiners & cowardly & stupid people in the world - these names & how anyone can like most of them makes me sad that we live with people even having the ability to stick us with such crappy names

& Rough riders is to me terrible & only makes sense to those that want a safe - but used - name that is weak as far as anything we who are UND Fans would want to be

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The final 15 can be put into 4 categories:

Good

Roughriders

Cavalry

OK, but could live with

Explorers

Nodaks

Too generic

Fighting Hawks

Green Hawks

Thunderhawks

Northstars

North Dakota

Just plain awful

Blaze

Fighting Green

Force

Pride

Spirit

Sundogs

• Upvote 2

I'm still good with North Dakota or Nodaks, but well put for the most part. Loved the Fighting Hawks comments.

Heneryhawk.jpg

fhlhhawk.jpg

• Upvote 1

UND has not picked a new nickname as they agreed to. Not picking a new nickname is willfully fostering an environment that keeps Fighting Sioux as the de facto nickname. The last few years have proven it not to mention they many people who have openly stated it. UND nor the NCAA will not stop people from wearing or cheering whatever they want, but until UND has picked a new nickname, they have not fully done their part to move on and are very much culpable for it.

Bingo.

Can we get a redo?  Let's start over :)

This is almost what needs to happen.

The only legit option this list offers is North Dakota, Cavalry and Roughriders. Which may be enough if that is your top 3. But what happens if the top 3 is Explorers, Sun Dogs and Spirit?!?!?

As to the first part, I'm not saying UND what UND does or doesn't know, but I have a general idea of what some people related to the process know. Which leads to a whole different set of questions but that's for a different time.

As for the second part, Sicatoka explains comments that have been floating around better than I can:

But these people "in the process" still have just North Dakota on the acceptable list? Go figure????

Something doesn't smell right with your statement! "Can't happen, not allowed by NCAA, inside people told me so" but its in the final 11...

You didn't have to quote Sics comment, I read it, and already told you what I thought of it...sorry Sic.

But these people "in the process" still have just North Dakota on the acceptable list? Go figure? ???

Something doesn't smell right with your statement! "Can't happen, not allowed by NCAA, inside people told me so" but its in the final 11...

You didn't have to quote Sics comment, I read it, and already told you what I thought of it...sorry Sic.

I just wish that someone "in the process" would come out and say that the NCAA has approved all the names left on the list including remaining just North Dakota.  Maybe they will in the near future.  Until then, I am going to remaing skeptical that the NCAA is going to allow it.

But these people "in the process" still have just North Dakota on the acceptable list? Go figure? ???

I fully agree that there is something that seems off about it.  I guess if it makes the final 3 or 4 or whatever number is voted on, I will stand corrected.  Until then, I feel comfortable, though slightly confused, by what I've been told.

Cavalry is the only name that really would catch on & I find that if so many Native Americans did not like us honoring the Sioux then it's tough that we would honor the Cavalry that helped us settle this part of the country

The rest of the names are terrible & I will remain Fighting Sioux for the rest of my life

But Cavalry seems a good choice in light of all the factors that took away Fighting Sioux

Im so sick of all the PC whiners & cowardly & stupid people in the world - these names & how anyone can like most of them makes me sad that we live with people even having the ability to stick us with such crappy names

& Rough riders is to me terrible & only makes sense to those that want a safe - but used - name that is weak as far as anything we who are UND Fans would want to be

As someone mentioned above, let's call a do over.  For the life of me, can you take a committee seriously that recently included Bison Slayers, Drillers and Wholly Mammoths in the FINAL 63?  I mean really!!  Think about that.  Someone(s) held up their hand and said "Bison Slayers" or 'Wholly Mammoths" should move forward and be discussed again?  I can't lower my head any further in shame. 

• Upvote 3

University of North Dakota North Dakota seems a little redundant, no?

No.

Chewey, here's the undeniable problem with "University of North Dakota North Dakota":

< formal institution name > < athletics nickname/mascot > 

For example ...

U of Minnesota Gophers

U of Miami Hurricanes

In a "University of North Dakota North Dakota" world

- the formal name is "University of North Dakota"

- the nickname is "North Dakota"

Oh, wait ... the nickname now includes Dakota ... and Dakota is a tribal name.

That's in violation of the settlement agreement --> back on the sanctions list. 

A tribal name in a formal name is fine, see U of Iowa* or U of Sioux Falls or U of Miami**, but a tribal name in a nickname is sanctions. 

*Iowa is named for the Kiowa tribe. 

**the Miami tribe

This is where people jump in and say ...

We'd be the University of North Dakota  < no nickname here > . 

And any objectively thinking person can see the meddling, power-mongering, crush anyone who dare challenge us NCAA response to that will be: 

Not picking a new nickname is willfully fostering an environment that keeps Fighting Sioux as the de facto nickname.  The last few years have proven it not to mention they many people who have openly stated it.  UND nor the NCAA will not stop people from wearing or cheering whatever they want, but until UND has picked a new nickname, they have not fully done their part to move on and are very much culpable for it.

Once they deem us culpable, they'll put us back on the sanctions list gleefully. 

That's the reality.