SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote - which of the final fifteen?

jimdahl

The Final Fifteen poll  

153 members have voted

1. 1. What could you live with? (check more than one)

• Blaze
    • Cavalry
    • Explorers
    • Fighting Green
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Force
    • Green Hawks
    • Nodaks
    • North Dakota
    • North Stars
    • Pride
    • Roughriders
    • Spirit
    • Sundogs
    • Thunderhawks

North Dakota North Stars. For all the complaining about the "hockey only" fans who can't let go of Fighting Sioux, can the football and basketball folks talk some sense into the others who think that the name of a former NHL team in Bloomingon MN is a great idea?

I get what your saying and somewhat agree with you however the rough riders is simply lifting the nickname off a local high high school...pretty original. How much money has been spend on this? In full disclosure I'm in the North Dakota only grouping but I am starting to look at some of the other names as options if we're forced to choose one. I can't believe the listing were left with. So poorly managed.

Last summer one of the committee members threw out prairie wolves ....doesn't sound so bad now.

Tim Miller tweeted the other day that no one yet has asked if just "North Dakota" is an option.  Seriously??  You are a sports reporter for the Herald?!!  YOU ask the question.  To Kelley, Goehring, Faison, whoever!!  The question needs to be asked if UND officials and the committee have asked the NCAA if being just "North Dakota" with no nickname is allowed.  IMO it directly violates the settlement agreement.  I have yet to year Goehring or anyone in the nickname committee say "We checked with the NCAA and they said being just North Dakota is fine."  YOu would think that at some point before a vote, UND submits all the names left and asks the NCAA if the names are permissable. 

Am I being to logical here?!!

Just "North Dakota" is an option.  That's why it's been listed in the final 15.  There have been others in the process who have already said that it's an option.  It does not violate the surrender agreement.  The "risks" regarding the surrender agreement have been nothing more than baseless hyperbole that has been thrown out there to incentivize the masses to accept something completely insipid like "Pride", "Roughriders", "Spirit", etc. The true risk is if the NCAA Executive Committee were to come out and say that every school must have a nickname or face sanctions.  At present, there's no overarching, politically correct purpose in requiring schools to have nicknames.  Maybe the dung heap of otherwise would-be unemployed academics that is the NCAA Executive Committee would throw a couple of hundred thousand dollars of research money into it for purposes of educating the masses. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, at least non-fans are getting a kick out of this list. One of my co-works was practically in tears he was laughing so hard at most of these names. This is seriously painful.

North Dakota is the only legit option here. Everyone I've talked to, who is not a UND fan agrees that North Dakota is the best option going forward. It is not about "North Dakota or Nothing", or about Fighitng Sioux Forever" .... North Dakota should remaing the name, because the rest of this list is just completely pathetic.

• Upvote 3

This unfortunately will always be the problem.   It's CAVALRY!!!!    I actually think Cavalry would be a good name for us, but even our own people can't get it right.

Eventually most people will get it straight after being bopped in the head a few times.  Will be painful for a while, but it will get better.

Thunder Hawks has a powerful "ring" to it..I would have preferred Rolling Thunder,but Thunder Hawks will do, of the final 15.....

Ooo, Rolling Thunder.  That's not bad!   But then I think of a bison stampeded and.......

North Dakota North Stars. For all the complaining about the "hockey only" fans who can't let go of Fighting Sioux, can the football and basketball folks talk some sense into the others who think that the name of a former NHL team in Bloomingon MN is a great idea?

I don't disagree with you about why you think it's not a good choice.  But now, for me, if it can't be one of the 2-3 better options, this is better than the rest of the list.   So for me it comes down to that.

If UND decides to just stay "North Dakota" I give it 10-20 years before a group of students start advocating that the university adopt a nickname. I'm not against staying North Dakota, but I don't think it will last forever.

Could be true, but even so ... maybe in 10-20 years they can come up with a better list than these clowns did.

If UND decides to just stay "North Dakota" I give it 10-20 years before a group of students start advocating that the university adopt a nickname. I'm not against staying North Dakota, but I don't think it will last forever.

It will happen sooner than this but likely will grow organically out of chants that develop, or actions that take place in the course of play, or other events associated with the sporting teams.   Something will naturally arise, and eventually a decision made to formally adopt a related nickname

And as others have previously written, others will start giving us nicknames. I've seen sports articles referencing us as the "Nodaks," "Big Green," etc. if we don't pick a name, it very well may be picked for us by others. Others who don't really care too much about our University. Are you willing to take that chance?

Just "North Dakota" is an option.  That's why it's been listed in the final 15.  There have been others in the process who have already said that it's an option.  It does not violate the surrender agreement.  The "risks" regarding the surrender agreement have been nothing more than baseless hyperbole that has been thrown out there to incentivize the masses to accept something completely insipid like "Pride", "Roughriders", "Spirit", etc. The true risk is if the NCAA Executive Committee were to come out and say that every school must have a nickname or face sanctions.  At present, there's no overarching, politically correct purpose in requiring schools to have nicknames.  Maybe the dung heap of otherwise would-be unemployed academics that is the NCAA Executive Committee would throw a couple of hundred thousand dollars of research money into it for purposes of educating the masses.

Many have said that it is an option.  But has anyone asked the NCAA if having no nickname is an option?  Or does it violate the settlement agreement?  If it doesn't, then let "North Dakota" move forward in the nomination process.  But I just want Goehring, Kelley, Faison, whoever to say that they have asked the NCAA if being ""North Dakota" is a vialble nickname for UND, and they have said that it is.  So far I have not heard that from anyone.  My thought on this is not baseless.  I am reading the settlement afreement.  Which is a legal document.  Until I see evidence that says otherwise that North Dakota does not have to adopt a new nickname, then I will stick with that.

YOu are right.  There is no bylaw saying that any University needs a nickname.  But UND signed a legal document saying they will adopt a new one.  This isn't a baseless argument.

And as others have previously written, others will start giving us nicknames. I've seen sports articles referencing us as the "Nodaks," "Big Green," etc. if we don't pick a name, it very well may be picked for us by others. Others who don't really care too much about our University. Are you willing to take that chance?

depends? over Pride, Spirit, Force or Sundogs ... YES, well worth the gamble.

Many have said that it is an option.  But has anyone asked the NCAA if having no nickname is an option?  Or does it violate the settlement agreement?  If it doesn't, then let "North Dakota" move forward in the nomination process.  But I just want Goehring, Kelley, Faison, whoever to say that they have asked the NCAA if being ""North Dakota" is a vialble nickname for UND, and they have said that it is.  So far I have not heard that from anyone.  My thought on this is not baseless.  I am reading the settlement afreement.  Which is a legal document.  Until I see evidence that says otherwise that North Dakota does not have to adopt a new nickname, then I will stick with that.

YOu are right.  There is no bylaw saying that any University needs a nickname.  But UND signed a legal document saying they will adopt a new one.  This isn't a baseless argument.

gotta love when posters play the lawyer role.

• Upvote 1

Their "lifting it" from the state nickname.

Good luck finding any decent name that hasn't been taken, especially if you are going to include high schools.

Which is why Flickertails should've been given more consideration IMO.  I think it would've been really cool if your school went back to it's original nickname although I know I'm in the tiny minority with this opinion.  

• Upvote 1

Which is why Flickertails should've been given more consideration IMO.  I think it would've been really cool if your school went back to it's original nickname although I know I'm in the tiny minority with this opinion.  

I agree, it is certainly better than most of the names on this list. You could come up with a decent logo, and at least there would be some meaning or reason behind the name. More so than Spirit, Pride or Force.

Don't need to be a lawyer to understand what a settlement says.   Please point out anything in my post that is not a fact? 

"But UND signed a legal document saying they will adopt a new one"

Ambiguous .... University of North Dakota would be a new reference to the athletics teams, as Fighting Sioux would be old.

I completely agree with this statement. Way worse choosing a name that was a neighboring states pro team than a local high school team. BTW for those that don't know North Stars is the name of the high school in Cando for those worrying about high school names.

Anyways my point was just to show it's pretty obvious to me there are 2-3 names that fans seem to like above the rest and I would rather the committee put those for final vote than ones people don't like at all.

Look at the numbers. Just North Dakota and Roughriders account for 44% of the vote on the SS poll and 40% on the herald poll. When North Stars gets added in it jumps to 53% and 54% respectively. 130 people voted in the SS poll and around 7700 in the herald one, and the ss people are probably UNDs biggest fans. The herald poll is a big chunk of UND fans too. Pretty big difference compared to the rest.

To me those are numbers that shouldn't be ignored whether I like any of those names or not. That's a big enough number for just ND and Roughriders were I think the committee might have to explain to people why either of those isn't in the final 3 if their not. 

Pretty obvious my personal preference of those 3 is Roughriders, but regardless I would rather the committee give people choices they want rather than Spirit, Sundogs, and Pride. If Spirit Pride and Sundogs were those top 3 I would say the same about them but they are obviously not. The committee and the marketing research company should notice these things.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I wasn't a huge fan, but I'm shocked flickertails didn't make the 15. I thought it a pretty safe bet for top 3.

IF you made just "North Dakota" people choose a nickname, does Roughriders have a 3-1 lead over the nearest competitor?

Good question. My guess would be maybe not that much, but I really think if North Dakota isn't on the final ballot Roughriders would win pretty easily. 

Which is why Flickertails should've been given more consideration IMO. I think it would've been really cool if your school went back to it's original nickname although I know I'm in the tiny minority with this opinion.

I agree...with...Mariucci....

Must...wash...hands...now...

It's many things besides a historical hockey name.  But right now, most of all, it's one of the better options from this list of 15.  We're getting stuck with one of them, and I'd rather it be North Stars than Sundogs.