SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kelley Announces Retirement.

Let'sGoHawks!

Third person? I thought the master of that was Bob Dole. 

My rankings

1. Herschel Walker

2. Bob Dole

3. LeBron James

4. Platinum......I can neither confirm or deny that she may be a "dancer" at Sugar Daddy's just north of St. Cloud

5. The Rock

6. Jimmy from Seinfeld

7. petey23

• 3 weeks later...

Taking a big salary is a <insert feminine hygiene product of choice here> move.  More power to him, of course, but he also had the power to take much less.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/3895700-ed-schafer-signs-almost-six-months-und

Ed Schafer will make $33,216 monthly...

Lest we forget...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/featured-columnists/3884216-onlooker-not-perfect-perhaps-best-choice-und

Although he has personal wealth...

Taking a big salary is a <insert feminine hygiene product of choice here> move.  More power to him, of course, but he also had the power to take much less.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/3895700-ed-schafer-signs-almost-six-months-und

Lest we forget...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/featured-columnists/3884216-onlooker-not-perfect-perhaps-best-choice-und

What was that saying about "other people's money"? Apparently, that principle only applies if everyone else's ox is getting gored.

So he's basically getting paid the same as Kelly? What an outrage.:silly:

Before you jump all over me saying it's more than Kelly gets. Kelly's base salary is $350,216 PLUS benefits (pension,insurance,etc.). Which added together probably comes in at more than $33,000 a month.

It's a generous package for an interim 'chair-warming' gig, at a school facing a budget shortfall, in a state facing badly-missed revenue projections.

I think what this amounts to is conditioning for the fact that the next president will be paid considerably more than Kelley has been, and we all know how popular the NDUS leadership has been in certain circles around the state.

• Upvote 1

It's a generous package for an interim 'chair-warming' gig, at a school facing a budget shortfall, in a state facing badly-missed revenue projections.

I think what this amounts to is conditioning for the fact that the next president will be paid considerably more than Kelley has been, and we all know how popular the NDUS leadership has been in certain circles around the state.

My sources said Whiskey Joe brokered the deal for Ed..................

Lest we forget...

Where exactly does the article state that he demanded that salary? Maybe your ire should be directed to the Board for wasting mmoney by offering too much to an interim...

Where exactly does the article state that he demanded that salary? Maybe your ire should be directed to the Board for wasting mmoney by offering too much to an interim...

Reading comprehension may not be your strong suit.  Who said anything about demanding?  All we know is what he took.  And it stands to reason that he could have taken less.  No ire there; I begrudge no one the opportunity to make money.

If I remember correctly, everybody wet their pants when this guy was hired because he was the home-grown, affable, friend to all.  What he lacked in academic credentials he more than made up for in character and integrity.  He would bridge the gap, and heal the divide.  Walk on water.  All that stuff.  Now if he doesn't move mountains, he'll just be another overpaid "educrat", hired without broad faculty support, and earning some $200k for what, six months of cutting ribbons?

A lot of household names, a-listers, celebrities, token hires, and others who don't need the money voluntarily choose to draw a salary below market (sometimes well below) when they take an honorary or leadership position.  I thought that might have been the noble gesture here.

A lot of household names, a-listers, celebrities, token hires, and others who don't need the money voluntarily choose to draw a salary below market (sometimes well below) when they take an honorary or leadership position.  I thought that might have been the noble gesture here.

Some people are just entitled.    Kudos to the Hearld for actually reporting pertinent info to us commoners

Edited by Milford torgerson
because

A lot of celebrities who don't need the money voluntarily choose to draw a salary below market (sometimes well below) when they take an honorary or leadership position.  I thought that might have been the noble gesture here.

Like Josh Duhamel only charging the state of North Dakota $500,000 for his week worth of work?

Edited by Cratter

For all of his political savvy, I'm surprised that Schafer would so soon take an anti-establishment stand on a higher ed issue that was trounced not once but twice in Bismarck in the past few sessions.  Heck, I hope he can pull it off, but it would take a miracle in the House.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/3895892-schafer-nd-should-look-keeping-und-president-applicants-names-public-view

The Senate passed a bill in 2009, but it failed in the House. A broader bill that also would have shielded the names of applicants – except for the three finalists – for college vice presidents, chancellors and vice chancellors and other top education positions died in the House on a 12-78 vote in January.

If you want Ed for more than interim, you need to show the academy at UND that he's worth it.

He'll prove it in person when he's there, but as much as academics say "it's not about money" ... dare I say BS. It's all about money to them. If the ND SBoHE wasn't paying Schafer at par with what Kelley was making* the academics wouldn't respect him. 

*PS - Paying Ed what Kelley was making has ... get ready for this ... zero net impact on UND's planned budget for the year. Was Ed supposed to do this gratis? :huh:

• Upvote 1

No disagreement here.  That was beyond tacky and he wins the ND Summer's Eve Disposable of the Year Award in my book.

I can't think of an example of a "celebrity" taking a lot less money when moving into a leadership role with responsibility.  

I can't think of an example of a "celebrity" taking a lot less money when moving into a leadership role with responsibility.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_career_of_Arnold_Schwarzenegger

Schwarzenegger also called the state legislature into a special session and said that spending cuts would also be necessary. He initiated the cuts by agreeing to serve as governor with no salary, a saving of $175,000 (USD) per year.

I have a long history in the temp staffing industry.   In many cases, temp professionals get a bigger paycheck than company direct employees for doing the same job.   Why?  fewer benefits, less security/stability.....Someone asked Ed if he'd step in and help out for an interim period.   Only makes sense that he gets paid commensurate to what others would get in that job plus a little more to get him away from whatever else he was doing (even if it was nothing).

How about when Barry Alvarez served as interim football coach during a recent Badger bowl game?  Oh wait, I guess he jacked UW for about 50k for that one game. :(