SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kelley Announces Retirement.

Let'sGoHawks!

Exactly!  He would be a lot like Clifford.  Many on this board remember what Tom was like.  I remember him standing out by Twamley hall shaking hands with students engaging in light hearted conversation.  He had that persona about him which students respected. Ed has similar attributes and is exactly what UND needs right now.  What we don't need is a Berkley minded administrator that couldn't manage a Taco Bell.

:lol:

Well, he used to work for the government, he hasn't held political office for awhile. And that is a very ignorant statement. Judge the individual on his or her merits.

Why is maddog's statement ignorant?  I think Ed will be fine but watching our legislature and Governor work gives one reason to be concerned.  I think Ed's recent job was lobbying for the big oil's interest in ND, mainly trying to lower extraction taxes among other things.  Whether that's good or bad is debateable but I know many who thought that was nuts.  I think Ed works for who pays him.

If you suck at your job of teaching, sure. If you happen to have a different political persuasion than the ruling political machine, no. Look up the history of the founding of the SBoHE and you'll get what I am saying. It involved Bill Langer firing NDSU professors for political reasons.

I ran into a handful of teachers at UND who would have been great educators had they been able to separate their political persuasion from their teachings.  Unfortunately, they weren't great teachers BECAUSE they couldn't educate without personal opinion on a weekly basis.

Because of his extensive experience managing people?

I think he's just a dynamic guy whose gonna be a great leader. Interacting with him when I have (attending speeches,meeting him on a couple occasions, seeing him lead meetings) I just think he's a good blend of idealism and pragmatism. I'm not too concerned with his personal revelations that were brought to light, myself, not necessarily from a "it'll blow over" perspective, but I think he's the kind of individual who would grow from such adversity. 

Just my superficial opinion though, right now. I'm not all familiar with any other alternative.  

• Upvote 1

Why is maddog's statement ignorant?  I think Ed will be fine but watching our legislature and Governor work gives one reason to be concerned.  I think Ed's recent job was lobbying for the big oil's interest in ND, mainly trying to lower extraction taxes among other things.  Whether that's good or bad is debateable but I know many who thought that was nuts.  I think Ed works for who pays him.

Because lumping people into one category is not a good idea. And this is from somebody who doesn't like how the Legislature does things.

And yes, I didn't like the lobbying for Big Oil, but I think Ed will do a great job as interim President of UND.

I ran into a handful of teachers at UND who would have been great educators had they been able to separate their political persuasion from their teachings.  Unfortunately, they weren't great teachers BECAUSE they couldn't educate without personal opinion on a weekly basis.

I never felt like anybody was pushing their opinions down my throat when I was at student. At least that is how the College of Business and Public Administration worked. And even outside of that school, I never had a problem with "brainwashing".

I never felt like anybody was pushing their opinions down my throat when I was at student. At least that is how the College of Business and Public Administration worked. And even outside of that school, I never had a problem with "brainwashing".

Depends on what department you were in.

I took a few Political Science Courses while in college. As a general rule of thumb, the Professors who used their own books for course material definitely had an agenda. They were teaching things that were at best, an opinion as fact. It was like I wrote this in my book and am now regurgitating it in my lecture so that makes it true.

Edited by petey23

Depends on what department you were in.

I took a few Political Science Courses while in college. As a general rule of thumb, the Professors who used their own books for course material definitely had an agenda. They were teaching things that were at best, an opinion as fact. It was like I wrote this in my book and am now regurgitating it in my lecture so that makes it true.

I can tell you that the Kweits (Mary and Robert) didn't do that. They would debate us in class if we disagreed with one of their statements.

I can tell you that the Kweits (Mary and Robert) didn't do that. They would debate us in class if we disagreed with one of their statements.

Why would you bring them up out of the blue? ???

I never mentioned any names.

I mean, I never even dropped or baited a line.

huge.0.4310.JPG

Edited by petey23
additional minfo

This was my and my wife's experience as well. 

I will say I enjoyed R. Kweit's classes and was amused by his obsession with Edward Banfield.

He would certainly debate anyone who had a different opinion than him or even a fact or statistic versus his feelings.

But anyone who says that he wasn't incredibly biased is being disingenuous and he absolutely did teach his opinions as fact.

But anyone who says that he wasn't incredibly biased is being disingenuous and he absolutely did teach his opinions as fact.

Is it possible someone wouldn't see the bias or a need to debate them if maybe, they had the very similar political leanings and agreed with their thoughts....?

Just a thought. :whistling:

• Upvote 3

Why would you bring them up out of the blue? ???

I never mentioned any names.

I mean, I never even dropped or baited a line.

I just brought them up as an example, as they were very prominent leaders at UND for a long time. And your response seemed to indicate that they were part of the problem, which I took some exception to.