SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kelley Announces Retirement.

Let'sGoHawks!

I am considering applying for this position. I figure I have 3 things working against me.

1.I do not have an advanced degree.

2.I possess common sense.

3. I am not tone deaf to the real world around me.

If you've ever voted for a Republican, even for dog catcher, don't waste your time applying. 

This was a letter to the editor on why Boise St President Kustra was the most significant university Presidents in Idaho's history. Got me thinking that the next President of UND will be one of the most important in our history. Needs to be a politician, statesman, and leader before an academic. A subscription is needed for the newspaper, so used a Vandal message post.

http://www.scout.com/college/idaho/forums/2664-vandal-football/13911852-chris-carlson-s-editorial-on-ui-bsu?s=205&page=1

He/her needs to take steps to further strengthen UND as a center of aviation and UAS technology and manufacturing.

He needs to further strengthen medicine in the state through UND.

Engineering and geology needs to be the go to place in the new ND West, with its expanding oil, gas, and chemical sector.

Needs to clean house where needed and install people of integrity.

Needs a new business and entrepreneur school to take hold and propel ND business even higher.

Needs to upgrade basketball and football, especially in the west like Bismarck and Minot and even Williston. Play an annual basketball gàme in the west vs one of the Montana schools.

Needs to broadcast the new name (hopefully Roughriders), and get people excited

Needs to put a vision out there so people can grasp what UND and the state can do together. Have him/her make a play that all North Dakotans are Roughriders, and can do greater things in spite of adversity.

The next leader is critical for UND.

• Upvote 1

This was a letter to the editor on why Boise St President Kustra was the most significant university Presidents in Idaho's history. Got me thinking that the next President of UND will be one of the most important in our history. Needs to be a politician, statesman, and leader before an academic. A subscription is needed for the newspaper, so used a Vandal message post.

http://www.scout.com/college/idaho/forums/2664-vandal-football/13911852-chris-carlson-s-editorial-on-ui-bsu?s=205&page=1

He/her needs to take steps to further strengthen UND as a center of aviation and UAS technology and manufacturing.

He needs to further strengthen medicine in the state through UND.

Engineering and geology needs to be the go to place in the new ND West, with its expanding oil, gas, and chemical sector.

Needs to clean house where needed and install people of integrity.

Needs a new business and entrepreneur school to take hold and propel ND business even higher.

Needs to upgrade basketball and football, especially in the west like Bismarck and Minot and even Williston. Play an annual basketball gàme in the west vs one of the Montana schools.

Needs to broadcast the new name (hopefully Roughriders), and get people excited

Needs to put a vision out there so people can grasp what UND and the state can do together. Have him/her make a play that all North Dakotans are Roughriders, and can do greater things in spite of adversity.

The next leader is critical for UND.

The next leader probably does not have a chance in hell of succeeding, because we have created a culture of contempt for those in leadership positions at UND.  It will take until February 1, 2016 for the first "Fire -----" movement to begin and earlier than that if a student in a leadership position gets a parking ticket. 

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Maybe we can get this guy to move to UND (it's only one letter different)

First, read this:

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=6697

American,” “illegal alien,” “foreigners,” “mothering,” and “fathering” are just a handful of words deemed “problematic” by the University of New Hampshire’s Bias-Free Language Guide.

Then read this:

http://unh.edu/unhtoday/statement-unh-president-mark-huddleston-bias-free-language-guide

The associate vice president for community, equity and diversity removed the webpage this morning after a meeting with President Huddleston. The president fully supports efforts to encourage inclusivity and diversity on our campuses. He does not believe the guide was in any way helpful in achieving those goals. Speech guides or codes have no place at any American university.

• 2 months later...

So it turns out that the gay beating at the fraternity started as a fight by the gay guy, who just fictionalized events.

How about Kelley issuing an apology email to students after he accused them of being non-welcoming and discriminatory.

How about the bison trolls apologizing here too.

• Upvote 3

So it turns out that the gay beating at the fraternity started as a fight by the gay guy, who just fictionalized events.

How about Kelley issuing an apology email to students after he accused them of being non-welcoming and discriminatory.

You know, I'm not sure anyone can be sure of what happened. I have a hard time believing a frat is going to gay bash a dude though for sure. 

I must have missed something. I read of Kelley describing this guy's complaint as "troubling" or "disturbing" but I missed the out-right accusations of discrimination. Could you post a link?

• Upvote 1

I must have missed something. I read of Kelley describing this guy's complaint as "troubling" or "disturbing" but I missed the out-right accusations of discrimination. Could you post a link?

I have this email from September 2nd.

To the Campus Community:

While we don't yet know all the details, I was disturbed to hear that a non-UND student was reportedly physically assaulted and subjected to taunts about his sexual orientation at a UND fraternity this past weekend.   This is a matter that concerns me deeply.  The UND Police Department and the Grand Forks Police Department are working together to investigate this incident.  

I want to be very clear: violent behavior of this nature is not tolerated at UND.  Any student or student organization found to have violated the UND Code of Student Life will be subject to disciplinary action. No decisions will be made until investigations are completed. 

This incident is even more disconcerting given that it followed the recent Grand Forks celebration of LGBT Pride.  As I stated at the culminating celebration of the Pride event, ALL are welcome at UND and are valued for the diversity of their background and experiences, culture and heritage, race, gender, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, and other dimensions of personal identity.

This welcoming and inclusive spirit is shared by our student leaders.  UND Student Body President Matt Kopp stated today that,  “As a fraternity man, I know that incidents such as this alleged situation do not reflect the values of UND’s fraternities and sororities.  It is imperative that we create a safe environment for all within our campus community.”

We learn best when we learn from one another, and it is vital that we create—together—an inclusive and respectful educational environment in which all can thrive.

• Upvote 1

Drew Wrigley is an intriguing candidate for UND President.

Sitting ND Lt Gov.

Would be a voice the legislature would trust.

From ND and a UND grad.

Other politicians like Boren at OU and Daniels at Purdue have done a bang up job because they know how things get done in their states.

Wrigley will be connected, while Kelley only connected himself with the SBoHE.

• Upvote 4

Drew Wrigley is an intriguing candidate for UND President.

Sitting ND Lt Gov.

Would be a voice the legislature would trust.

From ND and a UND grad.

Other politicians like Boren at OU and Daniels at Purdue have done a bang up job because they know how things get done in their states.

Wrigley will be connected, while Kelley only connected himself with the SBoHE.

it is time to hire one of our own as president...bring back bubba style!

• Upvote 2

Well, before Kelley retires, I hope he finds us some money.   How can we be short $5 million?   I know, no reason to panic, but we know how many students we'll have and expenses shouldn't change much, so the budget should balance.   http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/3858333-und-projecting-5-million-budget-shortfall

Well, before Kelley retires, I hope he finds us some money.   How can we be short $5 million?   I know, no reason to panic, but we know how many students we'll have and expenses shouldn't change much, so the budget should balance.   http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/3858333-und-projecting-5-million-budget-shortfall

The budget was done before the Legislature met last spring. It was built on an estimate of what they thought they would get from the Legislature. The Legislature was more conservative than originally planned because the price of oil kept going down. Schools also didn't plan to have the Legislature limit tuition hikes to 2.5%. The article said that a 3.7% increase would have covered the shortfall. And you really don't know how many students are going to be enrolled until they actually enroll, so they are just estimating whenever they make a budget.

There are 2 ways to fix the problem. Either increase revenues in some way, or decrease expenses. Most likely solution is a combination of the 2. The total budget for UND is more than $500 million, the budget for the general fund and tuition is a little under $200 million. A budget done in November and December of 2014 being off a few percent a year later is not out of the ordinary.