SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kelley Announces Retirement.

Let'sGoHawks!

He's starting with the new nickname being BRAND NEW. At least give it a year... or an athletic season.

If a new President can't handle starting during the first year of a new nickname for the athletics teams, then that person has no business being President.

• Upvote 1

He's starting with the new nickname being BRAND NEW. At least give it a year... or an athletic season.

Compared to what Kelley went through the past 5-6 years with all this nickname crap, the new guy will have a walk in the park.

Kelley did all the sh*t work and the new guy will just have to cleanup the scraps.

• Upvote 3

I really don't understand the cannibalism that surrounds this university.  Fire Kelley, Fire Mussman, Fire Jones, Fire Hakstol, Fire Faison, Fire DiLorenzo, Fire the faculty that take an opposing stand on the nickname, get the nickname thing over with, but don't make a real decision.  Why anyone would want to take any position with this university is beyond my understanding, but thank God there are people who will try.  What was the last "Fire -------" movement that came out of NDSU?  For some reason they seem satisfied with their leadership and allow them to make decisions that have led to great success.  It's difficult to lead when you have to be constantly looking over your shoulder to see who is coming after you.

• Upvote 1

Compared to what Kelley went through the past 5-6 years with all this nickname crap, the new guy will have a walk in the park.

Kelley did all the sh*t work and the new guy will just have to cleanup the scraps.

And I don't think he should have to clean up the scraps just because Kelley inherited a mess. Finish the clean up.

If a new President can't handle starting during the first year of a new nickname for the athletics teams, then that person has no business being President.

Regardless if he can or can't, he shouldn't have to. It's not the new President's responsibility. Kelley signed on to the mess knowing it was coming.

You don't bring in an associate athletic director to be president of a university.

Well, you do realize that Faison is next, right? Expect his retirement announced within the next year. New president and AD coming up real soon, and it's a good thing.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I really don't understand the cannibalism that surrounds this university.  Fire Kelley, Fire Mussman, Fire Jones, Fire Hakstol, Fire Faison, Fire DiLorenzo, Fire the faculty that take an opposing stand on the nickname, get the nickname thing over with, but don't make a real decision.  Why anyone would want to take any position with this university is beyond my understanding, but thank God there are people who will try.  What was the last "Fire -------" movement that came out of NDSU?  For some reason they seem satisfied with their leadership and allow them to make decisions that have led to great success.  It's difficult to lead when you have to be constantly looking over your shoulder to see who is coming after you.

Chapman, Bresciani et al have serious ethical breaches flaws etc, which actually make them more popular with the stream yellow crowd. That crowd wanted Bohl fired in the early days.

And I don't think he should have to clean up the scraps just because Kelley inherited a mess. Finish the clean up.

Regardless if he can or can't, he shouldn't have to. It's not the new President's responsibility. Kelley signed on to the mess knowing it was coming.

So he should stick around for another decade?  Or what time frame do you judge "appropriate".  By the time he retires, UND will have retired to the Fighting Sioux nickname and have a new one in place.  Seems like the "mess" will have been cleaned up.  Not sure what more you want.  Him sticking around or leaving isn't going to affect the speed at which each individual person accepts reality.

• Upvote 3

The new guy can deal with the nickname hillbillies that won't let go.  And by dealing with I mean ignore and look forward.  

The new name will be in place and all new President guy will have to deal with his streamlining transitional issues, which will be minimal for him.  That is more of an AD thing.  

So he should stick around for another decade?  Or what time frame do you judge "appropriate".  By the time he retires, UND will have retired to the Fighting Sioux nickname and have a new one in place.  Seems like the "mess" will have been cleaned up.  Not sure what more you want.  Him sticking around or leaving isn't going to affect the speed at which each individual person accepts reality.

Have your opinion and I'll have mine. It's too soon. I don't know what's appropriate, but evidently you do. Relax. It's ok to have dissenting opinions. All I know is that a couple of months is too soon. At least give it a year/sports year to let it sink in a little bit.

Have your opinion and I'll have mine. It's too soon. I don't know what's appropriate, but evidently you do. Relax. It's ok to have dissenting opinions. All I know is that a couple of months is too soon. At least give it a year/sports year to let it sink in a little bit.

Once again, the Sioux name lovers are the only one's who are going to have trouble letting a new nickname "sink in".  C'mon, seriously.  The athletic department and alumni will be move forward as usual, just with new jerseys.     :bigsmile:  

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Once again, the Sioux name lovers are the only one's who are going to have trouble letting a new nickname "sink in".  C'mon, seriously.  The athletic department and alumni will be move forward as usual, just with new jerseys.     :bigsmile:  

That's a pretty large majority of the fanbase that will be letting it sink in.

Progress won't stop. Not saying it will. I just don't think it's fair to leave any of this to a new president.

Yeah, now KIAC (Kelley) will have zero accountability when he selects the final name. (Which is Spirit... btw)

The university should look, in the future, to have a class that looks at the unimaginable failure that KIAC's legacy of failed leadership.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, now KIAC (Kelley) will have zero accountability when he selects the final name. (Which is Spirit... btw)

The university should look, in the future, to have a class that looks at the unimaginable failure that KIAC's legacy of failed leadership.

Exactly! He's changing the name and absolutely running away.

• Upvote 1

I like to call him President Foxhole.  Everytime there is a controversial issue or conflict, he runs and hides in his foxhole and lets his handmaidens in Twamley do the dirty work for him.

This made my day.

And that's different than any university or corporation in America how?  Whenever Bresciani steps in it down at NDSU, and he's done it a lot.... you don't see him doing the dirty work.  Sadly this is the status quo.

Fair enough. I just think it's BS he's leaving so quickly after changing the name. Like Frozen4Sioux said, no accountability.

Quickly?  This thing couldn't drag out any longer if they tried (though I'm by no means tempting them to get it a whirl).  What exactly is it that you want him to stick around and deal with?  Once the new nickname is in place, there isn't a whole lot more that he will be able to do.  He (nor the new president) will not change any minds that refused to be changed.  Cowardly would be to leave in the middle of the process, which he very easily could have done and with how big of a joke it has become, most people wouldn't have blamed him. 

Well, you do realize that Faison is next, right? Expect his retirement announced within the next year. New president and AD coming up real soon, and it's a good thing.

Sure. But the "Purpur" name was invoked in the context of a president conversation. Purpur for AD? You bet. Purpur for president. Uh, no. 

And that's different than any university or corporation in America how?  Whenever Bresciani steps in it down at NDSU, and he's done it a lot.... you don't see him doing the dirty work.  Sadly this is the status quo.

I don't recall Baker or Kupchella doing this as much as President Foxhole.  I didn't always agree with Baker or Kupchella, but for the most part they owned their decisions and defended them.