SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kelley Announces Retirement.

Let'sGoHawks!

No real surprise given his age.  Did some good things and some not so good things.  Will be interesting to see the list of applicants to take over for him.  Stepping into the disaster known as higher education in the state of North Dakota is a different beast.

So cowardly. Run and hide while the name transition is just starting. Good riddance.

You have to be kidding right?  The nickname mess pre-dates Kelley by quite a long time.  Part of his job when he was hired was to clean it up and he has, though it might take some people a decade or so to actually see that.  I wouldn't be surprised if him staying on until January instead of retiring before the school year wasn't partially to make sure the new nickname is properly implemented. 

• Upvote 4

No real surprise given his age.  Did some good things and some not so good things.  Will be interesting to see the list of applicants to take over for him.  Stepping into the disaster known as higher education in the state of North Dakota is a different beast.

You have to be kidding right?  The nickname mess pre-dates Kelley by quite a long time.  Part of his duty when he was hired was to clean it up and he has.

He's still running away from it while a new name will be ripe. It will be a brand new name for a brand new President and I think that's wrong.

• Downvote 1

I'll kick in $20 for one of those awesome retirement clocks or pen sets. Anyone else ?

Or I can kick in a big fat wad of Benjamin's to move that date up.......to tomorrow. Anyone else?

I'll kick in $20 for one of those awesome retirement clocks or pen sets. Anyone else ?

Or I can kick in a big fat wad of Benjamin's to move that date up.......to tomorrow. Anyone else?

I don't have enough on my W2... I know there are a couple people to ask around here though :)

the timing is interesting since I got this email yesterday:

Recently, a group of UND faculty conducted an opinion survey intended to measure perceptions regarding the President, the Provost, and the Deans.  Three of the four faculty members who developed and initiated the survey—Jim Whitehead, Tom Petros, Kim Kenville and Jim Higgins—shared the results of the survey with me in a meeting last Friday and indicated they plan to make the results publicly available soon.  We wanted everyone to be aware of this.

We will closely review the survey results and will thoughtfully consider how best to move forward.  We also want to fully involve the entire campus community, and, as many of our faculty and students are away, this will be a priority item as the new academic year begins.

The guy is 70 years old, he isn't running anywhere.  

I disagree. Average age of college presidents is in the 60s.

the timing is interesting since I got this email yesterday:

Recently, a group of UND faculty conducted an opinion survey intended to measure perceptions regarding the President, the Provost, and the Deans.  Three of the four faculty members who developed and initiated the survey—Jim Whitehead, Tom Petros, Kim Kenville and Jim Higgins—shared the results of the survey with me in a meeting last Friday and indicated they plan to make the results publicly available soon.  We wanted everyone to be aware of this.

We will closely review the survey results and will thoughtfully consider how best to move forward.  We also want to fully involve the entire campus community, and, as many of our faculty and students are away, this will be a priority item as the new academic year begins.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with this, right jdub? Dude is running and it's BS.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with this, right jdub? Dude is running and it's BS.

In 2011, the average age of a University President was apparently 61, meaning he's still older than the average college president by a fair amount since he's almost 70. Personally, I'm surprised he didn't retire a few years ago.  At least he is seeing the nickname process through, quitting in the middle of it would be cowardly.  Him retiring isn't some new revelation, nor is an unhappy faculty when they don't get everything they want.  From most of what I see and hear, there is a lot more dissatisfaction with DiLorenzo than Kelley.

I'm by no means a supporter of Kelley's, neutral at best on him actually, but it is time for new blood in the president's office and most people would agree.  But you want him to stick around longer because "nickname".

• Upvote 1

Average age is about 61 and average term is 7 years.  Kelley is 70 and has been Pres for 7 years.  Retiring seems to be what everybody (students, faculty, siouxsports.com) wants him to do.  New President will start with clean slate and won't be blamed for picking the new name, seems like a good deal.

I feel bad for him, as he'll be remembered as the President that removed the name (even though it wasn't really his fault), however, it is time for a regime change so UND can move onward and upward.

• Upvote 1

Average age is about 61 and average term is 7 years.  Kelley is 70 and has been Pres for 7 years.  Retiring seems to be what everybody (students, faculty, siouxsports.com) wants him to do.  New President will start with clean slate and won't be blamed for picking the new name, seems like a good deal.

I feel bad for him, as he'll be remembered as the President that removed the name (even though it wasn't really his fault), however, it is time for a regime change so UND can move onward and upward.

So long as it is not DiLorenzo. 

In 2011, the average age of a University President was apparently 61, meaning he's still older than the average college president by a fair amount since he's almost 70. Personally, I'm surprised he didn't retire a few years ago.  At least he is seeing the nickname process through, quitting in the middle of it would be cowardly.  Him retiring isn't some new revelation, nor is an unhappy faculty when they don't get everything they want.  From most of what I see and hear, there is a lot more dissatisfaction with DiLorenzo than Kelley.

I'm by no means a supporter of Kelley's, neutral at best on him actually, but it is time for new blood in the president's office and most people would agree.  But you want him to stick around longer because "nickname".

Not disagreeing with either of you and I definitely think it's time to go, but I think it's BS that he's leaving the new president residual nickname garbage. 

Not disagreeing with either of you and I definitely think it's time to go, but I think it's BS that he's leaving the new president residual nickname garbage. 

The new president will get to start with a clean slate and a new nickname in place.  Seems like perfect timing to me.

• Upvote 1