SiouxSports.com Forum

REA Banners

MafiaMan

5 minutes ago, Millionaire said:

IMHO, making new "historically correct" logo banners would violate the NCAA agreement*, banners with some of those logos probably never actually existed (you're now inventing "history" to serve your wants), and I'd think it would be a Blackhawks licensing problem (vigorously defend your trademark or you will lose it).

*Otherwise, we can create all kinds of reasons to put up Sioux logos all over the place, marking "historically accurate" occasions.

They were able to do the jersey hallway with all of the historical jerseys. Other than one being in a more public place, the idea behind it doesn't seem all that different.

100214.s.gfh_.undhockey_2.jpg?itok=UZym-

4 hours ago, Millionaire said:

IMHO, making new "historically correct" logo banners would violate the NCAA agreement*, banners with some of those logos probably never actually existed (you're now inventing "history" to serve your wants), and I'd think it would be a Blackhawks licensing problem (vigorously defend your trademark or you will lose it).

*Otherwise, we can create all kinds of reasons to put up Sioux logos all over the place, marking "historically accurate" occasions.

Also, being shortsighted today would be exceptionally awkward (God forbid) 10-15 years from now when the hodgepodge of banners does not yet include a Fighting Hawks logo.

I know many of you won't like it but I think the most-likely result of thinking through the options that are actually available is that we'll be raising eight new interlocking-ND banners next year, or eight banners with a new Fighting Hawks logo.

3 hours ago, jdub27 said:

They were able to do the jersey hallway with all of the historical jerseys. Other than one being in a more public place, the idea behind it doesn't seem all that different.

I am somewhat neutral on banners, but here are some observations:

1.  I don't think the Blackhawks would have too much of a problem approving a single, static display hanging on the inside of more public areas of REA.  Not like it's going to be sold anywhere, and in context, I can't imagine any legitimate concerns from a legal standpoint.  In fact, it may -- for future generations much more familiar with Chicago than the Sioux -- be a conversation starter about the history of the name/logo at UND.

2.  I also don't think that the NCAA would put up much of a fight if there was going to be a change -- not merely an addition -- in how the historic logos are represented.  In fact, it could be the product of a little informal horse-trading that advances both parties' agendas.  The bottom line is that the REA will most likely never be 100% "sterile," and even the NCAA is capable of doing the right thing from time-to-time.

3.  I want to believe that UND will not retroactively apply "ND."  Exhibit A - the Alerus Center.  From an aesthetic point of view, those banners lack more than a little something.  The bland interior doesn't help, but can you picture that in the much warmer environment of the REA?

4.  Using the Fighting Hawks logo retroactively would be both bold and balls-y…probably depends a lot on how the image is received this summer. 

I really like how it is now with the conference championship banners....

Row 1 all the Sioux years

Row 2 2015 and now 2016 will be raised

For the green ones.....tougher but,.......I'd just tack the 8th on with a interlocking UND at the end. Maybe start row 2 after 10th.....

9 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

I'd rather we be historically accurate as opposed to having future generations "assume" that a certain logo was the representation of North Dakota seven times.  It's simply not true.  I bet the NCAA would like ND banners so future generations "assume" that the team was always called Fighting Hawks, too.  Let's not let that happen.

I see your point.  But the youngsters of today have seen those banners from day 1 and most likely think those 7 were won with the brien logo unless someone has explained it to them.

maybe it will depend on what SME comes up with.  If the new logo and Brien logo don't completely clash, I'd like to see them start row 2 with the new one and leave the 7 as is.  

Edited by Siouxphan27
Effing autocorrect

3 hours ago, sprig said:

Last year's Penarosa banner is no longer up

Saw that...figured it was just removed from its temporary home for IIHF and will be placed on ice until fall when it finds a permanent home (conference rafter is already full, right?).  Besides, it needed to make room for two newbies up on the showcase beam.

9 hours ago, Godsmack said:

I think DU has the right idea-they have the large banners for National championships but then a single smaller banner to represent the conference tournament championships won with the year on it. 

If you're talking about WCHA Final Five/NCHC Frozen Faceoff titles, those years are listed on a single banner inside REA. Right next to Section 311.

Dave

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2015 at 0:58 PM, bigskyvikes said:

Maybe, but your comment about a goalie taking the team far or not far, proves to be very accurate every year by most teams. Saying the coach is to blame for losing one of the last two games of the season is just plain silly to me...

Point on, exactly.  To get a team there after 30+ games but then they lose in the semi's or final and then to blame the coach.....?!  It's crazy talk, it really is. 

10 hours ago, Millionaire said:

If memory serves me right, the old Engelstad Arena had some 2nd, 3rd and 4th place banners, but not any "tournament participation" tapestry beyond that.

I don't think the conference tournament always existed, and winning it didn't guarantee an NCAA tourney spot, so it probably wasn't that important in the more-distant past. ...to be honest, even today most years it feels more important to not get hurt and use it as a stepping stone (if needed) to get the desired NCAA seed.

You make a point but we're Sioux hockey fans and so the last 20 years we're VERY spoiled by having good to very good teams (you can blast Haks but he got us there every season) just about every year.  I might be wrong but if you're a good team then the conf playoff tourney doesn't mean a whole lot but if you're having an avg/sub-par season then winning it is critical as it guarantees you entry into NCAA tourney.  Winning the conf regular season title doesn't although in the old WCHA or NCHC now you're all but guaranteed to make the NCAA tourney if you win the reg season conf title (unlike horse s___ confs like the big ten/lil 6, aka Minn this season).   

On 4/11/2016 at 1:23 PM, Godsmack said:

I think DU has the right idea-they have the large banners for National championships but then a single smaller banner to represent the conference tournament championships won with the year on it. 

There is a single banner in REA, over the north club room, toward the west, listing conference tournament championship years. Linky to image. It's the left one in this photo. I believe the one on the right is NCAA appearance years. 

On 4/11/2016 at 11:50 AM, NoDakFan said:

Moving away from the logo on the banners - my buddy who works at the Ralph says they are going to be moving them around somewhat. Scuttlebut is they will be moving the conference banners to the sides over the student section and such, and the 8 title banners will be split 4/4 alternating across chronologically. 

UND's conference regular season champion banner array is too wide for the width of a hockey rink so it has to be turned lengthwise. What a terrible problem to have. :D

And the NCAA National titles needing to be split up for space ... again, terrible problem. :D 

• Upvote 2

I don't care what logo is on the banner, I really don't need the logo.

I just want banners that say: 

< conference > Champion
< year >
University of North Dakota

or 

NCAA National Champion
< year >
University of North Dakota

I'd find room for as many of those as they can acquire. ;)

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

There is a single banner in REA, over the north club room, toward the west, listing conference tournament championship years. Linky to image. It's the left one in this photo. I believe the one on the right is NCAA appearance years. 

Oh, right on. I forgot about that one!

• 5 months later...
7 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Historically accurate National Championship banners.  Wouldn't mind seeing these as well as the conference banners changed to this as well.

banners.jpg

Absolutely!  I'm not sure how you did this, but these look great...and are accurate!  Closed circuit to the REA - get this done now!

6 minutes ago, Ray77 said:

Absolutely!  I'm not sure how you did this, but these look great...and are accurate!  Closed circuit to the REA - get this done now!

Wish I could take credit for it.  undsports.com has them on their site.  Clicking on each banner gives you info, tem phote, etc on each Championship team.  

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=58684&SPID=6405&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=204977129

44 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Historically accurate National Championship banners.  Wouldn't mind seeing these as well as the conference banners changed to this as well.

banners.jpg

Would be great,  but unfortunate the Brien never made it there.  Of course it would appear in conference championship row. 

Sammy Sioux should be on the 59. Don't remember what logo was on the 63 jerseys

On 4/13/2016 at 0:52 PM, The Sicatoka said:

UND's conference regular season champion banner array is too wide for the width of a hockey rink so it has to be turned lengthwise. What a terrible problem to have. :D

And the NCAA National titles needing to be split up for space ... again, terrible problem. :D 

If we can't get the target center monkey off our back we may need another conference tournament championship listing banner soon. 

• 2 weeks later...