SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2015-16 season

Frozen4sioux

I'm curious why you think a guy who is second on his team in goals has a confidence problem?

I don't think he has a problem, however as he is a forward who is averaging less than a half point per game it would appear that the game may be moving a tad quick for him, especially considering some think he's ready for a league which is close to twice as fast as the ushl. Also he was one of the older guys on his team. I would like him to go back and see him improve on his point total, similar to what Wilkie did (even though Wilkie is younger).

I completely disagree I would love to have a d corps of Ausmus-Stecher, Thompson-J.Schmaltz, and Poolman-LaDue every game next season.

Haha, getting j schmaltz back would be awesome! Although not likely to happen.

On a side note, those d pairs you listed are beyond awesome.

I don't think he has a problem, however as he is a forward who is averaging less than a half point per game it would appear that the game may be moving a tad quick for him, especially considering some think he's ready for a league which is close to twice as fast as the ushl. Also he was one of the older guys on his team. I would like him to go back and see him improve on his point total, similar to what Wilkie did (even though Wilkie is younger).

I believe Marks is retiring as well so if Yon goes back which I think he will it will be interesting to see how he performs under a new coach. I think the biggest thing with Yon is he could come in this year and compete for time but could very likely end up being a scratch a decent amount of the time or he could go back to Fargo and play a top 6 role and get a good amount of powerplay time.

I believe Marks is retiring as well so if Yon goes back which I think he will it will be interesting to see how he performs under a new coach. I think the biggest thing with Yon is he could come in this year and compete for time but could very likely end up being a scratch a decent amount of the time or he could go back to Fargo and play a top 6 role and get a good amount of powerplay time.

Agreed. His shot is legit he just needs more time to round out his game.

My thoughts for flight risk in order:

1. McIntyre - What more does he have to prove at this level? See: Mike Richter Award. Then again, let's see what BOS decides to do with Rask and Subban and trades around draft day. That said, I'll be surprised if Zane is back. 

2. Schmaltz, J - Most expect this. I really don't. He controlled games this year at times, but didn't dominate them. STL knows it's max money for a first rounder either way (now or next summer). They can hedge their bet by waiting and if Jordan doesn't dominate next year maybe they let him test the free agent waters (and save a few bucks). Risky, but who knows. However, put him in the "probably gone" category based on all the speculation from others. 

3. LaDue, P - The Voynov situation with LAK makes this murky as do LAK's cap issues. Do the LAK want to keep Sekera? Also, LAK have a guy named "Derek Forbort" ready to move up into the spot Robin Regehr just retired from. Flip a coin here. 

I guess I'll be surprised if any of the others go early, Stetcher because of his size, Caggiula because there are lots of other FA's out there like him in the CHL, and Nick Schmaltz isn't physically ready yet*. 

* "Nick, meet Mark Poolman. Mark, Nick Schmaltz."

• Upvote 1

1. McIntyre - What more does he have to prove at this level? See: Mike Richter Award. Then again, let's see what BOS decides to do with Rask and Subban and trades around draft day. That said, I'll be surprised if Zane is back. 

2. Schmaltz, J - Most expect this. I really don't. He controlled games this year at times, but didn't dominate them. STL knows it's max money for a first rounder either way (now or next summer). They can hedge their bet by waiting and if Jordan doesn't dominate next year maybe they let him test the free agent waters (and save a few bucks). Risky, but who knows. However, put him in the "probably gone" category based on all the speculation from others. 

3. LaDue, P - The Voynov situation with LAK makes this murky as do LAK's cap issues. Do the LAK want to keep Sekera? Also, LAK have a guy named "Derek Forbort" ready to move up into the spot Robin Regehr just retired from. Flip a coin here. 

I guess I'll be surprised if any of the others go early, Stetcher because of his size, Caggiula because there are lots of other FA's out there like him in the CHL, and Nick Schmaltz isn't physically ready yet*. 

Yes. I fully expect Pooly to be all over Nick this summer. I bet Hak challenges Nick to put on weight.

But didn't he stick in the USHL for another year with nothing else to prove either? Zane could go either way and I wouldn't be surprised.

But didn't he stick in the USHL for another year with nothing else to prove either? Zane could go either way and I wouldn't be surprised.

I don't think JS is physically ready yet either--he'll get manhandled by players who are just as good on their skates, stronger and much more intense.    But I realize he probably wouldn't benefit much from another year at UND, and the goal is to get into the system and learn the pro game in the minors before taking a shot at the NHL. 

I would say that is some information. I thought there was a chance he would use the loophole as Boston already has Rask and Subban (although I believe many have Zane ahead of Subban).

I don't think many of us care at all which professional team he signs with. I took that as, he's either coming back, or he's signing with Boston, which really took me nowhere.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Does it possibly provide a little insight?  If he does come back, doesn't Boston lose his rights on June 1 this year?  If he did come back would he really only negotiate with Boston after he graduates next year?  Seems odd that he would limit himself unless he really feels some loyalty to Boston (which is very possible).

Does it possibly provide a little insight?  If he does come back, doesn't Boston lose his rights on June 1 this year?  If he did come back would he really only negotiate with Boston after he graduates next year?  Seems odd that he would limit himself unless he really feels some loyalty to Boston (which is very possible).

I'm guessing he is referring to just this summer.  Either he signs with Boston prior to the deadline or else he stays at UND.  Next year, as he would be a UFA, he could choose where he wants to go.

I'm guessing he is referring to just this summer.  Either he signs with Boston prior to the deadline or else he stays at UND.  Next year, as he would be a UFA, he could choose where he wants to go.

It makes a lot more sense when looking at it that way.  Basically saying his mind will be made up sooner than later and he won't string everyone along until past June 1 to see what other teams might offer him.

Thank you Brad for zero information.

Wow, I don't take it that way at all.  Many people thought it was a foregone conclusion he would sign.  This says he's thick in the middle of making a decision.  maybe 50-50.  Schlossman can only pass on what McIntyre tells him, and this is a reasonable update.

I also think it's interesting that it's down to just 2 options.  I don't know Zane, but it seems consistent with him that he would be loyal to the Bruins, and give them extra consideration in his decision making.

And as stated above, the other angle is that this is just hard negotiating.

We shall see

Wow, I don't take it that way at all. Many people thought it was a foregone conclusion he would sign. This says he's thick in the middle of making a decision. maybe 50-50. Schlossman can only pass on what McIntyre tells him, and this is a reasonable update.

I also think it's interesting that it's down to just 2 options. I don't know Zane, but it seems consistent with him that he would be loyal to the Bruins, and give them extra consideration in his decision making.

And as stated above, the other angle is that this is just hard negotiating.

We shall see

I guess I was never in the foregone conclusion group. So coming from that viewpoint, it didn't give me any information. There were always two options after this season, either Zane comes back, or he signs with Boston, and that's what Brad's tweet says to me, not trying to read between his collective lines. Guess it's in the eye of the beholder.

Someone said something in a different thread that got me thinking: 

What if the unthinkable happened -- JSchmaltz, LaDue, and Stetcher all leave early. 

That leaves Ausmus, Thompson, and Poolman. 

In the "predict the roster" thread I figured a "worst case" (lose two defensemen early) of Chartrand, Wolanin, Shaw, and Evers coming in. 

In a nightmare of needing five defensemen to come in, would it be those four and Gabe Bast? 

I think there's a 0% chance that we see you post a single post during the regular season, a 0% chance we see you post during any of the regional games, and a 100% chance we see you post if the Sioux are losing the semi-final game at the F4.

"If" they are losing a semifinal game in the F4???

Does anyone have any insights into Evers? I know there was a lot of hype when he committed, but his draft rankings have consistently been slipping and from what I could tell the he was essentially demoted to the U17 team for the last month or so. Also, he was omitted from the U18 Worlds roster that is currently playing.

Was there an injury or has his development just plateaued? I would think he would play another year in the USHL unless UND absolutely needed another body on the blue line.