SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2015-16 season

Frozen4sioux

On 3/3/2016 at 10:58 AM, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Vice News ran an article where they basically rewrote McFeely's piece about Sioux merchandise without his childish hyperbole. I'd link to it if I wasn't on mobile.  Worth checking out. 

This?

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/how-north-dakota-got-stuck-hawking-its-defunct-native-american-nickname

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I almost guarantee Stecher leaves and ends up signing with VAN. 

I'm sure each team is different, but I was speaking with the scout of a certain team in Detroit, and he said that they would like to see Stecher remain in Grand Forks another year. I realize other teams may strike while the iron is hot, but I found it interesting that they thought he needed another year.

38 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Personally, I think it was interesting when the four seniors ... and LaDue ... started Senior Night. In poker that's a tell: LaDue is gone. 

I'm hoping that:
- Ausmus realizes he still needs to work on his speed and offensive game
- Poolman wants to play one season with his brother
- Stecher understands a defenseman under six feet tall will have real issues trying to reach the NHL
- Thompson faces reality that he looks worse this year than last (yeah, I said it) 

My guess at the order of departure risk: LaDue, Stecher, Poolman, Ausmus, Thompson. 

Crazy to think that Keaton almost left after last year.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I almost guarantee Stecher leaves and ends up signing with VAN. 

Probably, it's a different situation with undrafted players.  They have to take it while it's there.  I don't think Stech would pass on that money twice.

I would almost guarantee Boeser stays.  He's probably not ready for the Show and next year would be really fun for him.  He'll play with Schmaltz (maybe) and Jost, he'll have the chance to be in the HB discussion.  Also, there's the chance to win a natty and play in the U-20 tourney again (with more of a spotlight I'm guessing).

52 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Personally, I think it was interesting when the four seniors ... and LaDue ... started Senior Night. In poker that's a tell: LaDue is gone. 

I'm hoping that:
- Ausmus realizes he still needs to work on his speed and offensive game
- Poolman wants to play one season with his brother
- Stecher understands a defenseman under six feet tall will have real issues trying to reach the NHL
- Thompson faces reality that he looks worse this year than last (yeah, I said it) 

My guess at the order of departure risk: LaDue, Stecher, Poolman, Ausmus, Thompson. 

I think Thompson is gone. Every year I have heard he has been so close to leaving. I don't think he should leave based on what I have seen from him but I think he will.

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Probably, it's a different situation with undrafted players.  They have to take it while it's there.  I don't think Stech would pass on that money twice.

I would almost guarantee Boeser stays.  He's probably not ready for the Show and next year would be really fun for him.  He'll play with Schmaltz (maybe) and Jost, he'll have the chance to be in the HB discussion.  Also, there's the chance to win a natty and play in the U-20 tourney again (with more of a spotlight I'm guessing).

Alright! Let's go with this.

LaDue and KT are gone IMO. My next guess is Pooly and #2 come back. Gage is the crap shoot. I base this off nothing more than a hunch and the magic of the 8 Ball. Now if UND wins a Natty all bets are off.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

LaDue and KT are gone IMO. My next guess is Pooly and #2 come back. Gage is the crap shoot. I base this off nothing more than a hunch and the magic of the 8 Ball. Now if UND wins a Natty all bets are off.

Boy I would be shocked if KT left.  I am not as harsh on him as others on this forum but he is still developing and is no where close to the NHL.  He is supposed to be more of an offensive defensemen.  Until he QB's our #1 PP and avg's close to .5 pts/gm, he has no business leaving.  He's also pretty young.

No way Gage leaves, he's the captain.  We'll lose Ladue and Stech.  The rest stay and we will again have a log jam at D.  Gage,Thompson, T. Poolman, Wolanin, Shaw, Bast, C. Poolman.

20 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Tape measure. He's under six feet tall. 

Gostisbehere is 5-11 and was drafted in the 3rd round.  I'm not saying Stecher is going to be able to become what Gostisbehere has so far, but I do see some similarities in their games.  Gostisbehere has a heck of a shot, though.  Very underrated and quick, I think it fools a lot of guys.

2 hours ago, Big A HG said:

Gostisbehere is 5-11 and was drafted in the 3rd round.  I'm not saying Stecher is going to be able to become what Gostisbehere has so far, but I do see some similarities in their games.  Gostisbehere has a heck of a shot, though.  Very underrated and quick, I think it fools a lot of guys.

Stecher should have been drafted, yes. I think he's a better defenseman that Gostisbehere but Ghost might be on another lever offensively. 

12 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Me too....but he's not a liability either.  He's plus 5.

Okay I will rephrase what I originally meant. Stecher is a better defenseman than Ghost was at this time at Union. I still don't think it's that outrageous to say Stechers a better defensive defenseman than Ghost. 

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

Okay I will rephrase what I originally meant. Stecher is a better defenseman than Ghost was at this time at Union. I still don't think it's that outrageous to say Stechers a better defensive defenseman than Ghost. 

Aggressive :)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

25 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Aggressive :)

I guess we could ask Hak :)

• Upvote 1