SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2015-16 season

Frozen4sioux

Oof. This banner talk makes my stomach turn. We've been on a tear no doubt, but let's not forget a loss at home to Wisconsin, and there being some very good teams out East. With that said, I'm not booking my trip to Tampa, but it is in the back of my mind.:wink:

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, snova4 said:

Oof. This banner talk makes my stomach turn. We've been on a tear no doubt, but let's not forget a loss at home to Wisconsin, and there being some very good teams out East. With that said, I'm not booking my trip to Tampa, but it is in the back of my mind.:wink:

I'm of the opinion that it is much like other things in life, once you stop obsessing over it, that is when something happens for the positive.  It seems like every year that is the first thing people say, "this is the year for #8".   It seems they have come a few times when people least expect it.  Hence there is no way it happens this year!! :wink:

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, tnt said:

I'm of the opinion that it is much like other things in life, once you stop obsessing over it, that is when something happens for the positive.  It seems like every year that is the first thing people say, "this is the year for #8".   It seems they have come a few times when people least expect it.  Hence there is no way it happens this year!! :wink:

At this time in 1999, I didn't think we had a snowball's chance of winning it all that season. I am glad I was wrong about that. :)

On 12/23/2015 at 10:02 AM, Emerald joker said:

LMAO, I like that, banner No. 9, we have to get No. 8 first though and with the  way the SIOUX are playing right now, I don't see that not happening! GO SIOUX!!!

Haha I know, hence the winky face. I love the way we are playing and here's to big things in 2016.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SJHovey said:

We were 14-3-1 and ranked #2 in the country at this point in 1999.

1999-2000 Season

N20 MSU-Mankato* L 5-6

N27 Vermont@ W 8-0

N28 New Hampshire@ L 2-6

D3 Minnesota-Duluth* W 6-3

D4 Minnesota-Duluth* W 5-4

D10 Denver* W 7-3

D11 Denver* L 2-7

After opening the year 8-0-1, we went 4-3 in our last 7 games before the Christmas break. And some of those losses were ugly.

D27 Miami (OH)^^ W 5-2

D28 Wisconsin^^ W 3-2 OT

J7 Colorado College* T 1-1 OT

J8 Colorado College* W 4-0

J14 Wisconsin* L 2-3 OT

J15 Wisconsin* L 5-6 OT

J21 Minnesota* W 1-0

J22 Minnesota* L 2-5

J28 Michigan Tech* W 5-0

J29 Michigan Tech* W 11-1

F4 St. Cloud State* L 0-3

F5 St. Cloud State* T 1-1 OT

Following the Christmas break, we went 6-4-2 in our next 12 games, including two tough OT road losses against Wisconsin and that 5-2 loss at home vs. Minnesota. After that, we would lose only one more time (Game 2 of the WCHA first round at home vs. Denver) on our way to our 7th NCAA title.

My point was that we didn't look like NCAA title contenders from mid-November until the beginning of February; then we went on that roll all the way to Providence.

• Upvote 1

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2015 at 4:39 PM, SJHovey said:

Then your "point" was poorly communicated in your post.  Your post said that "at this time in 1999, I didn't think we had a snowball's chance of winning it all."  It said nothing about wins between selected dates in November and February. My "point" was that at this point in 1999 we were ranked #2 in the country and were 14-3-1, with the unstated point that such pessimism was probably unwarranted.

Yeah, I guess I could have been more specific. And I did remedy that.

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2015 at 4:16 PM, fightingsioux4life said:

1999-2000 Season

N20 MSU-Mankato* L 5-6

N27 Vermont@ W 8-0

N28 New Hampshire@ L 2-6

D3 Minnesota-Duluth* W 6-3

D4 Minnesota-Duluth* W 5-4

D10 Denver* W 7-3

D11 Denver* L 2-7

After opening the year 8-0-1, we went 4-3 in our last 7 games before the Christmas break. And some of those losses were ugly.

D27 Miami (OH)^^ W 5-2

D28 Wisconsin^^ W 3-2 OT

J7 Colorado College* T 1-1 OT

J8 Colorado College* W 4-0

J14 Wisconsin* L 2-3 OT

J15 Wisconsin* L 5-6 OT

J21 Minnesota* W 1-0

J22 Minnesota* L 2-5

J28 Michigan Tech* W 5-0

J29 Michigan Tech* W 11-1

F4 St. Cloud State* L 0-3

F5 St. Cloud State* T 1-1 OT

Following the Christmas break, we went 6-4-2 in our next 12 games, including two tough OT road losses against Wisconsin and that 5-2 loss at home vs. Minnesota. After that, we would lose only one more time (Game 2 of the WCHA first round at home vs. Denver) on our way to our 7th NCAA title.

My point was that we didn't look like NCAA title contenders from mid-November until the beginning of February; then we went on that roll all the way to Providence.

I saw both games in Madison that year, and the game that made me feel that team had a good chance to win it all was their win over Wisconsin in the Final Five.  I don't even remember if it was the semi or the final or what the score was, but they were playing at a very high level.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, burd said:

I saw both games in Madison that year, and the game that made me feel that team had a good chance to win it all was their win over Wisconsin in the Final Five.  I don't even remember if it was the semi or the final or what the score was, but they were playing at a very high level.

It was the championship game in the Target Center (the last Final Five there before the X opened). The final was 5-3 (it was 2-2 after two periods). The Badgers would go on to lose badly to Boston College at the West Regional in Minneapolis the following week, while we would beat Niagara (who upset New Hampshire the night before) 4-1 to advance to Providence.

1996-97 Season thru December 1996:

O11 Alberta (Ex.) L 1-2

O18 Denver* W 3-2 OT

O19 Denver* W 6-2

O25 Michigan Tech* W 7-3

O26 Michigan Tech* W 4-3

N1 Northern Michigan* W 3-2

N2 Northern Michigan* W 5-0

N8 Minnesota* L 2-3

N9 Minnesota* L 6-10

N15 St. Cloud State* L 2-5

N16 St. Cloud State* W 5-3

N22 Alaska Anchorage* L 2-3

N23 Alaska Anchorage* W 5-3

N29 Minnesota-Duluth* W 8-4

N30 Minnesota-Duluth* W 4-3

D6 Colorado College* T 5-5 OT

D7 Colorado College* W 7-3

D27 Boston University W 6-4

D28 Boston University T 2-2 OT

12-4-2 in the first half for the 1996-97 team; the team that reestablished us as a league and national power.

8 hours ago, Cratter said:

Thanks, not sure what all that neg rep was about in my previous post. It was a valid question. 

And with your answer it helps me to establish a trend in that the last two natty's by UND had stellar first half of the season (but of course anything could happen).

I think it was the (but parity) remark.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Cratter said:

Ok the last championship UND won has a similar record to this year at the halfway point (but parity)

But what did 1997 look like at the half way point?

People are getting way, way ahead of themselves here with this banner talk.  As a reminder, in 2002-03 we were sitting at something like 18-1-1 at this point in the season and ended up getting bounced in the first round of the NCAA's, unceremoniously.  Like this year, our first half of 2002-03 was filled with a cupcake schedule of the likes of Canisius (3 games), Brown, Princeton, Yale, BSU, and Niagara. 

I'm as happy as anyone about our start.  We have a terrific defensive group.  Our goaltending has been better than expected, and we have a very good top line.  But we also have some questions this team has yet to answer.

Can anyone other than the top line score?  At what point, if any, does Cam Johnson tire having played virtually no hockey in the year before?  How far can a team go with very average special teams play?

We have played exactly two games against a decent team this year.  We ground out one win and got slaughtered in the other game.  We're going to get just four more tough games before tournament time.  Let's see how we do against UNO.  If we can play them like we did UMD, then maybe we have something cooking.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

People are getting way, way ahead of themselves here with this banner talk.  As a reminder, in 2002-03 we were sitting at something like 18-1-1 at this point in the season and ended up getting bounced in the first round of the NCAA's, unceremoniously.  Like this year, our first half of 2002-03 was filled with a cupcake schedule of the likes of Canisius (3 games), Brown, Princeton, Yale, BSU, and Niagara. 

I'm as happy as anyone about our start.  We have a terrific defensive group.  Our goaltending has been better than expected, and we have a very good top line.  But we also have some questions this team has yet to answer.

Can anyone other than the top line score?  At what point, if any, does Cam Johnson tire having played virtually no hockey in the year before?  How far can a team go with very average special teams play?

We have played exactly two games against a decent team this year.  We ground out one win and got slaughtered in the other game.  We're going to get just four more tough games before tournament time.  Let's see how we do against UNO.  If we can play them like we did UMD, then maybe we have something cooking.

Don't agree we have only played two games against  decent teams.  I think Denver and Duluth both have teams that could make it a long way if they get it going.  That is what it is all about, getting it going at the right time with great goaltending and special teams.  We have seen even teams that barely make the tournament can go all the way.  

• Upvote 3

Note for you Sioux fans living in the Twin Cities area...Local channel WUCW (23) is picking up the ASN feed for the January 30 (Western Michigan) and February 27 (Omaha) games.  If you a Comcast subscriber, the game can be found on Channel 8 or Channel 808 (HD).  If you have a decent antenna, you can find it on 23.1, 23.2 or 23.3.

Good luck.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 8:07 PM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Anybody know what city's skyline is painted on the backplate of Cam Johnson's goalie mask?

If it's a grain elevator and a water tower, it will be impossible to know. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/31/2015 at 2:31 PM, SJHovey said:

Relax, bub. It was off-week banter.

If any fan base knows that winning a banner doesn't come in January, it's this one. We've all experienced it several times in this decade alone. We get it. It was just something fun to think about.

8 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Relax, bub. It was off-week banter.

If any fan base knows that winning a banner doesn't come in January, it's this one. We've all experienced it several times in this decade alone. We get it. It was just something fun to think about.

Actually, I would think that would be the fan base of the Golden Chokers.  Their season-long mediocrity of the past few years may have made us forget that they are historically the kings of the second-half meltdown.

• Upvote 2