SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2015-16 season

Frozen4sioux

So do you think Hac over played Zane?  I mean, obviously we needed him to win games at the end of the season.  Cam Johnson had his chance and he struggled so Hac went with Zane the rest of the year.  But I am wondering if Zane maybe would have benefitted from some games off. 

I think that if Zane comes back next year, Tomek will be more that adequate as a backup where he could take the load off of Zane during the season so he can be more sharp come playoff time.  Also, Tomec could learn a lot from Zane. 

I don't think Zane comes back next year, but I hope the rumors are wrong. The rumors are that he withdrew from all classes before the Frozen Four. Zane proudly represented UND this year, and had an outstanding career. I don't believe that he had his best game last night, but he was a big reason that UND made it as far as it did. If he is leaving, I wish him the best of luck and give a big thank you for 3 great years.

So do you think Hac over played Zane?  I mean, obviously we needed him to win games at the end of the season.  Cam Johnson had his chance and he struggled so Hac went with Zane the rest of the year.  But I am wondering if Zane maybe would have benefitted from some games off. 

I think that if Zane comes back next year, Tomek will be more that adequate as a backup where he could take the load off of Zane during the season so he can be more sharp come playoff time.  Also, Tomec could learn a lot from Zane. 

I don't think he had much of a choice he gave Cam a couple starts and if Cam would have been solid in those games he probably would have ended up playing a few more games but he really struggled in his starts and Zane even had to come in to finish those games.

My biggest regret today is that the General didn't get to pound the creep that speared him towards the end of the game

I enjoyed his answer to that Boston reporter who asked him to take them through the penalties at the end of the game.

"No....nope, I won't." I'm sure he had a MUCH different answer in his head.

Thought I'd see if I could get this thread going again. The Fire Hak pitchforkers over on the "Title Drought" thread are mind numbing.

Anyone know anything about Zach Yon coming in next year? He's a '95 kid, but maybe they want him to get another year in Fargo.

• Upvote 1

Has a schedule been posted for next season yet?

From Schlossman's blog:

Tentative, subject to change

2015-16

@IceBreaker (Portland, ME) 

@ Vermont 

vs. Wisconsin 

vs. Huntsville 

vs/@ Bemidji 

@ Mich. St. 

I think that's all that is known at this point.

Thought I'd see if I could get this thread going again. The Fire Hak pitchforkers over on the "Title Drought" thread are mind numbing.

Anyone know anything about Zach Yon coming in next year? He's a '95 kid, but maybe they want him to get another year in Fargo.

I would think Yon plays another year in Fargo.

From Schlossman's blog:

Tentative, subject to change

2015-16

@IceBreaker (Portland, ME) 

@ Vermont 

vs. Wisconsin 

vs. Huntsville 

vs/@ Bemidji 

@ Mich. St. 

I think that's all that is known at this point.

Ahhh..... next year........we always have hope!

Tentative 15/16 Roster

Graduating (7):

Parks, MacMillan, O'Donnell, Mattson, Gaarder, Pattyn, Panzarella

Forwards (10):

Caggiula (SR), Chyzyk (SR), St. Clair (SR), Sanderson (SR), Johnson (JR), Murphy (JR), NSchmaltz (SO), Poganski (SO), Simonson (SO), Olson (SO)

Defense (6):

JSchmaltz (SR), LaDue (JR), Stecher (JR), Thompson (JR), Ausmus (JR), Poolman (SO)

Goalies (3):

McIntyre (SR), Hrynkiw (JR), Johnson (SO)

Potential Early Departures (5):

JSchmaltz, McIntyre, LaDue, Stecher, NSchmaltz

Potential Incoming Freshmen (11):

Janatuinen (F), Gersich (F), Wilkie (F), Gardner (F), Boeser (F), Matthews (F) :) , Chartrand (D), Wolanin (D), Shaw (D), Evers (D), Tomek (G)

This looks to me like a pretty skilled potential roster here depending on early departures.  I think Jordan and Zane are the most likely to leave, but if either stayed it wouldn't surprise me. 

I think that Defense for next season will once again be a very strong unit and one of the strengths of the team (regardless of if Schmaltz goes pro or not).  That is a very talented group right there.  Maybe only 2 or 3 of those potential incoming frosh come in on the D side.

Obviously potentially losing Zane would hurt, but I think goalie will still be a strong position with Tomek and Johnson should Zane decide to leave.

For forwards, I think our scoring will be better next year and that our overall talent level will increase.  Caggiula can take a step and lead this offense, with Chyzyk and Johnson both making progression forward.  If Nick stays, I could see him racking up quite a few assists with higher goal scoring ability around him.  I look for the soph trio of Pogs, Simonson, and Olson to use another year of strength building and have a much better year production-wise.  Our incoming forwards are very skilled...if even 1 or 2 of their USHL goal-scoring translates to the college game, we're in for a fun year.

Go Sioux!!

• Upvote 1

Honestly, and I'm probably way in the minority here, but I think we would be better off with out J. Schmaltz. He very rarley gives 100% and isn't a huge gamechanger. You put Poolman back on the point and a skilled forward ( WIlkie, Boesser, Gersich etc...) in Poolmans spot up front and I think you have a better set up than you do with Jordan.

Honestly, and I'm probably way in the minority here, but I think we would be better off with out J. Schmaltz. He very rarley gives 100% and isn't a huge gamechanger. You put Poolman back on the point and a skilled forward ( WIlkie, Boesser, Gersich etc...) in Poolmans spot up front and I think you have a better set up than you do with Jordan.

I  completely disagree I would love to have a d corps of Ausmus-Stecher, Thompson-J.Schmaltz, and Poolman-LaDue every game next season.

• Upvote 1

A little more on LaDue From LA Kings Insider Jon Rosen

-I’m getting the sense that defenseman Paul LaDue is most likely headed back to the University of North Dakota for his junior season, and the Kings are fine with that. There was the possibility that the 22-year-old LaDue, like Brodzinski, could sign with the club and play professionally in 2015-16, but he’s very happy at North Dakota, and Los Angeles is very comfortable with the development and coaching staff in place in Grand Forks. In 41 games this season, the 2012 sixth round draft pick totaled five goals and 22 points

http://lakingsinsider.com/2015/04/10/report-weal-on-his-way-up-to-kings-more-prospect-notes/