SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2015-16 season

Frozen4sioux

Who gets letters next year?

I think Stecher has to get the C. All season long he's been playing at that battle level. Tonight's effort sealed the deal for me.

I'll go Jewels, LaDue and Chyz with As. Just a guess. Gage and St. Clair could wear a letter, too.

I think Stecher has to get the C. All season long he's been playing at that battle level. Tonight's effort sealed the deal for me.

I'll go Jewels, LaDue and Chyz with As. Just a guess. Gage and St. Clair could wear a letter, too.

That a lot of guys capable of wearing a letter and more importantly having leadership moving forward. I like next years team a lot.

Zane bleeds green probably more than any guy on the team.........and one is always remember for your last game. Doubt he want to be remembered for last night's dumpster fire. My early morning tea leaves says he is back.

I hope Stecher is back. He is a guy. Jordan Schmaltz is a non impact player, watching him for 3 years, it won't change next years outcome if he leaves early.

I hope Zane is back.

I just don't understand how Murphy can be a top 6 forward in the post season having never scored a goal. If MacMillan doesn't get hurt he is not even in the line up so how is he a top 6, that being said I would hope he is on the outside looking in next year because he doesn't perform when it matters. (I know oxbow would agree with me)

Agree with all of this...especially on Murphy. 2 years at UND for Murphy and JaySioux and #7 are tied in career goals. I also heard JaySioux has saucy paws in practice...but the is a family forum so I won't elaborate! ;)

I hope Stecher is back. He is a guy. Jordan Schmaltz is a non impact player, watching him for 3 years, it won't change next years outcome if he leaves early.

I hope Zane is back.

I just don't understand how Murphy can be a top 6 forward in the post season having never scored a goal. If MacMillan doesn't get hurt he is not even in the line up so how is he a top 6, that being said I would hope he is on the outside looking in next year because he doesn't perform when it matters. (I know oxbow would agree with me)

I thought Murphy looked pretty good last night, and damn near scored a nice goal.   Am hoping that next year is a break out year for him.

I saw a picture the other day of Al Montoya wearing the A when he played at Michigan, someone please refresh my memory on why a goalie can't wear the letter anymore?

My early lines prediction for next season:

Wilke-Caggiula-Johnson

Gersich-Schmaltz-Boeser

Gardner-Olson-Poganski

St. Clair-Chyzyk-Murphy

Thompson-Ladue

Poolman-Stecher

Ausmus-Evers

McIntyre

So which line will A. Matthews play on?

• Upvote 1

Love the props given to Stecher.  He is a dude.  Nice Twitter last night from Joey Leleggia singing his praises during the game.

I can see both Schmaltz brothers leaving.  Poolman maybe too unless others have better information or instinct.  Zane seems to be 50/50 although I would be over the moon if he's back.

We have plenty of incoming freshies to make things interesting.  We can re-load but Zane will be the pivotal one to watch.

Wide open league and some fun matchups in 2016 - including a series with the Badgers at The Ralph.

2015-16 possible lines:

1a. Caggiula-Gardner-Wilkie  (Wilkie plays his off wing, all are left handed shots)

1b. Gersich-Schmaltz-Boeser

1c. Janatuinen-Chyzyk-Poganski

2.   St. Clair-Johnson-Olson

Ex. Murphy-Simonson-Sanderson

Stecher-Ausmus

Thompson-LaDue

Poolman-Wolanin

Ex. Chartrand-Evers

(Evers and Wolanin will rotate in and out of the line up)

Tomek

McIntyre

Johnson

Hrynkiw

(Tomek and McIntyre are interchangeable, I think Tomek wins the job at the beginning of the year)

2015-16 landing the two biggest uncommitted recruits lines: 

(hypothetical)

1a. Thachuk-Matthews-Schmaltz

1b. Caggiula-Gardner Wilkie

1c. Janatuinen-Gersich-Boeser

1d. Chyzyk-St. Clair-Poganski

Ex. Johnson-Simonson-Olson

Murphy-Sanderson

2015-16 possible lines:

1a. Caggiula-Gardner-Wilkie  (Wilkie plays his off wing, all are left handed shots)

Stecher-Ausmus

Thompson-LaDue

Poolman-Wolanin

Ex. Chartrand-Evers

Tomek

McIntyre

Johnson

Hrynkiw

(Tomek and McIntyre are interchangeable, I think Tomek wins the job at the beginning of the year)

(hypothetical)

Murphy-Sanderson

I would be shocked if Evers came in next year.  Didn't he get demoted this year?  Also, that Finnish kid will probably be in the same boat as Olson was this year.  Lastly, I think you put the freshman a tad high in the lineup (except Boeser obviously).

2015-16 possible lines:

Stecher-Ausmus

Thompson-LaDue

Poolman-Wolanin

Ex. Chartrand-Evers

Tomek

McIntyre

Johnson

Hrynkiw

(hypothetical)

Murphy-Sanderson

If Zane is back there is no way he is backing up some freshmen that hasn't even played in the USHL. Tomek might have the hype but I would feel much more confident in the teams chances next year if Zane is back starting 75-80% of the games rather than an untested freshman.

Also Wilkie is a right handed shot.

If Zane is back there is no way he is backing up some freshmen that hasn't even played in the USHL. Tomek might have the hype but I would feel much more confident in the teams chances next year if Zane is back starting 75-80% of the games rather than an untested freshman.

Agreed completely. I was wondering about that comment. I thought maybe he meant if Zane isn't back tomek would win the job.

I would be shocked if Evers came in next year.  Didn't he get demoted this year?  Also, that Finnish kid will probably be in the same boat as Olson was this year.  Lastly, I think you put the freshman a tad high in the lineup (except Boeser obviously).

For the defense I'm not sure outside of Chartrand has to come in next year. I think they bring in two defensive defensemen who would be Chartrand and Evers. Janatuinen has 50 points in the USHL along with Wilkie and Boeser. Gardner, Wilkie, Boeser, and Janatuinen all have 50 points this year. I figured instead of stacking two lines try and balance them out and get the freshmen contributing early.  

Agreed completely. I was wondering about that comment. I thought maybe he meant if Zane isn't back tomek would win the job.

I look at Zane and Tomek being 1A and 1B, and both will most likely see ice time (if Zane returns). Michigan showed that goalies that come out of the NAHL are no slouches, 2011 is a prime example. Tomek could be on the Slovakian World Junior team next year. 

Where ever Zane plays next year he needs to clean up the letting in of "soft goals." It seemed like every game one got by him.

For the defense I'm not sure outside of Chartrand has to come in next year. I think they bring in two defensive defensemen who would be Chartrand and Evers. Janatuinen has 50 points in the USHL along with Wilkie and Boeser. Gardner, Wilkie, Boeser, and Janatuinen all have 50 points this year. I figured instead of stacking two lines try and balance them out and get the freshmen contributing early.

I look at Zane and Tomek being 1A and 1B, and both will most likely see ice time (if Zane returns). Michigan showed that goalies that come out of the NAHL are no slouches, 2011 is a prime example. Tomek could be on the Slovakian World Junior team next year.

Where ever Zane plays next year he needs to clean up the letting in of "soft goals." It seemed like every game one got by him.

Simo and Olson averaged a point per game too in the ushl before coming in.

So do you think Hac over played Zane?  I mean, obviously we needed him to win games at the end of the season.  Cam Johnson had his chance and he struggled so Hac went with Zane the rest of the year.  But I am wondering if Zane maybe would have benefitted from some games off. 

I think that if Zane comes back next year, Tomek will be more that adequate as a backup where he could take the load off of Zane during the season so he can be more sharp come playoff time.  Also, Tomec could learn a lot from Zane. 

So do you think Hac over played Zane?  I mean, obviously we needed him to win games at the end of the season.  Cam Johnson had his chance and he struggled so Hac went with Zane the rest of the year.  But I am wondering if Zane maybe would have benefitted from some games off. 

I think that if Zane comes back next year, Tomek will be more that adequate as a backup where he could take the load off of Zane during the season so he can be more sharp come playoff time.  Also, Tomec could learn a lot from Zane. 

There were times playing weaker teams that Cam probably should have gotten the start to give Zane some time off. I thought last year Zane was fresher in the NCAA's with Clarke taking some of the playing time.

There were times playing weaker teams that Cam probably should have gotten the start to give Zane some time off. I thought last year Zane was fresher in the NCAA's with Clarke taking some of the playing time.

True if Cam would have shown any sort of capability it would have been great to get Zane a breather, Hak obv did not have faith and did not want to risk a pairwise killing loss due to giving Zane a game off.