SiouxSports.com Forum

Submitted Nicknames

darell1976

The challenge facing the really unique nicknames is they won't get past the "committee" think process. When there are too many opinions in a room the tendency is to stay mainstream. For example: 

Here come The Mighty Mjölnir - pronounced Myol-N(ee)r

The Mjolnir is the name given to the hammer of Thor, one of the most fearsome weapons of Norse mythology. It is capable of leveling mountains. It depicts power, it has very powerful logo/icon possibilities, it's related to the Scandinavian culture in the region and it is 100% unique - it doesn't stand a chance. 

Melrose and Buccigross can pronounce Caggiula and you are going to give them the Mjölnir? That might be entertaining.

I think the best choice would be no mascot.  However I believe Judy's Bar has a better chance of making the final 3, given that the people handling the process are marketeers.  Conflict of interest.

And yes, there is a good chance you will see Flickertails in the final 3.

They. They. They.

I'm looking for someone that speaks in "we", not "they".

Okay, here's an edited version.  I agree that it makes a much more compelling case.

We need a mascot that is native to North Dakota - the ermine is native to North Dakota

We need a mascot that is (at least somewhat) unique to North Dakota - the ermine's range is very limited in the U.S. 

We  need a mascot that is fierce but marketable - the ermine is a fierce predator while also being highly charming visually

We need a mascot that works with green and white - ermine are white, at least in winter

We  need a mascot that is unique and recognizable - as far as I can tell, there's no other team called the ermines

Ermines does satisfy the criteria. Creative suggestion. I can though here claims of copying the rodents badgers wolverines....... Please not a horse related mascot. How many of those damn things are used? We'd be somewhat like MTU or SCSU or Mankato or Omaha or Boston College. Nodaks Or daks would make sense and would be a theft of an idea from the MIAC. Not thrilled with those either though. Like the Artist Formerly Known as Prince We could be "North Dakota Formerly Known as the F#%#%-+@ S$*&%". "FS" could be our symbol. That doesn't run afoul of the surrender agreement.

An ermine is a weasel. Weasels turn white in the winter. This is when they are harvested for their fur. The fur traders came up with the name ermine for weasels in their white stage. Because no one wanted a weasel coat.

Ermines are weasels...so far, so good. Ermines are white...uh oh, I think we have a problem.