SiouxSports.com Forum

Submitted Nicknames

darell1976

So if I've been following the process properly, they're saying the committee will choose 3 from the names submitted and then there will be a public vote to decide which of those 3 is the name?  If so, the public vote could/likely will be a complete mess.

Presumably, there will be safeguards against spamming, spoofing, and ballot stuffing.  A "vote" is an entirely different animal from an open call for submissions.

Now, it is fairly up for debate whether the open call approach was the best choice, but that ship done sailed.  Who knows what kind of gems they will find.  :)

So if I've been following the process properly, they're saying the committee will choose 3 from the names submitted and then there will be a public vote to decide which of those 3 is the name?  If so, the public vote could/likely will be a complete mess.

The vote won't be open to the general public.  It will be available to UND stakeholders like students, alumni, staff, season ticket holders, etc.  They still aren't sure exactly how it is going to work, but they have said that it isn't going to be available to everyone.

The vote won't be open to the general public.  It will be available to UND stakeholders like students, alumni, staff, season ticket holders, etc.  They still aren't sure exactly how it is going to work, but they have said that it isn't going to be available to everyone.

Of course not...........that would actually have taken some forethought and planning.

Well that's good to hear.

So the process consultant brought in did what, exactly? 

• Upvote 3

I liked Jets when I read that comment above but it just doesn't sound all that great...North Dakota Jets or UND Jets.  It doesn't roll off your tongue very well.  I do like another suggestion above for the Thunder.  Now that sounds good to me...North Dakota Thunder or UND Thunder. Not sure what the mascot would be for that though but announcers can say "lets hear some thunder".  I have always liked Rough Riders too.

I liked Jets when I read that comment above but it just doesn't sound all that great...North Dakota Jets or UND Jets.  It doesn't roll off your tongue very well.  I do like another suggestion above for the Thunder.  Now that sounds good to me...North Dakota Thunder or UND Thunder. Not sure what the mascot would be for that though but announcers can say "lets hear some thunder".  I have always liked Rough Riders too.

I submitted Rough Riders and Sonic Jets.  I too, thought North Dakota Jets was missing something, but didn't think "Fighter Jets" would be something they would approve. 

My Problem with Thunder is that we have the "Thundering Herd" just to the south.

My submissions:

None: University of North Dakota says it all - NCAA took the old one away, now we'll decline to play any more of their silly games.

Badlanders: Unique-I know GF is not in the badlands, but it is the University of North Dakota, not the University of GF-logo possibilities abound.

Guessing they are using this to see if there is something out there that they haven't already considered.  All the usual suspects that were in the nickname thread and the majority that have or will be submitted have likely been vetted to a point.  Unfortunately not sure that the amount of crap they are going to have to wade through will be worth it for the chance of something new coming out of it. 

Unfortunately not sure that the amount of crap they are going to have to wade through will be worth it for the chance of something new coming out of it. 

Maybe the Committee members are starved for attention at home.  Or maybe they really, REALLY like UND catering and all the cookies and punch they can consume.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalomania

I haven't submitted a name yet. I am considering something that would tie things up in a nice bundle to honor President Kelly's handling of this matter and honor his legacy at UND after he is gone. After some serious thought, the best I can come up with is

CLUSTERFUCK

• Upvote 1

I doubt that each committee member is going to sit and read each individual submission.  Someone is going to sit and compile a list.  They will eliminate all duplicates, and there will be a lot of duplicates.  They may or may not count the number of duplicates to give the committee members an idea of popularity, that is up to the committee.  They will also probably eliminate any submissions that aren't suitable, and maybe eliminate the ones that are trademarked to save the committee time.  This isn't as difficult as some of you seem to want to make it.