SiouxSports.com Forum

Predict the New Nickname

GeauxSioux

No, that's not what I said or was referring to.  People are trying to come up with a nickname that relates to the history or heritage of North Dakota.   Rough Riders doesn't. 

In a different but related vein, I can't imagine spending countless hours and mucho bucks to get all these committees together with distinguished alumni and marketing professionals, and then end up with the local high school's nickname.      

I fully understand and appreciate your argument against Roughriders based on historical evidence. I think for a lot of people it's kinda 'close enough', and the best option they have heard. Teddy Roosevelt is a large source of pride here, and probably will continue to be despite only spending a couple years here nearly bankrupting himself due to a cow-killing blizzard. 

However, I really can't stand the whole, 'we can't use it because it's Red River's' argument. It just seems so small time to me, and I can't imagine they are many people outside of the Greater Grand Cities area who could care one iota about sharing a nickname with high school.

I fully understand and appreciate your argument against Roughriders based on historical evidence. I think for a lot of people it's kinda 'close enough', and the best option they have heard. Teddy Roosevelt is a large source of pride here, and probably will continue to be despite only spending a couple years here nearly bankrupting himself due to a cow-killing blizzard. 

However, I really can't stand the whole, 'we can't use it because it's Red River's' argument. It just seems so small time to me, and I can't imagine they are many people outside of the Greater Grand Cities area who could care one iota about sharing a nickname with high school.

Some might argue that picking the same nickname as a local high school is small time.

I forgot to mention my other reason for thinking that Nodaks would be the new nickname.  I did a a domain search this morning and someone bought nodaks.com on 13 March 2015.  Could it be someone on the inside protecting a potential nickname site?

I personally think it will end up Rough Riders (which I have a hard time stomaching), but I would love it to be the Fighting Norsemen or Norse.  Surprisingly, what started as a joke in my mind (not sure it was ever brought up in the nicknames thread - didn't keep up on that one too much) but has grown on me as I've thought about it more is Beet Diggers (Diggers for short).  Seems kind of lame right away, but the more I thought about it the more I think I like it.  Don't think it would resonate with the college/HS aged kids so seems pretty far fetched......

... I would love it to be the Fighting Norsemen or Norse.  ...

I get that; but, I also fear the NCAA will someday either choose to*, or be forced by litigation**, enforce their "policy" as written.

Nicknames relating to "race, ethnicity, or national origin" are supposed to be forbidden per the policy. 

That says Norse, Irish, Vandals, and a host of others should go. 

*In their quest for everyone to be a color ... "Go Chartreuse!"  

**By spited, revengeful, folks who feel slighted because the NCAA doesn't "protect" Caucasians. 

My opinion...  the front runners as of now are Rough Riders or Nokota (Nokes).   Would also like to see the Norse or Norsemen, but I don't believe UND will want to go down the road of taking the name of an ethnic group again.

If it were Nodaks, what would a logo or mascot look like?  A scandanavian warrior of sorts???

Who cares if a local high school has the same nickname?  No one outside of the area would ever know that.  I certainly didn't.  

Was just about to say nobody from Minneapolis without ties to Grand Forks would have a clue that Rough Riders is the high school nickname, and you confirmed it.  Most of the fan base doesn't live in Grand Forks, and even the ones that do can figure out pretty fast which one is being brought up. 

I forgot to mention my other reason for thinking that Nodaks would be the new nickname.  I did a a domain search this morning and someone bought nodaks.com on 13 March 2015.  Could it be someone on the inside protecting a potential nickname site?

Never mind, Nodaks.com is registered to someone at 4200 James Ray Dr.  Nothing to see here.

Wait a minute, isn't that the address for the Center for Innovation?

Not what you want it to be, but what you think will be a consensus type pick.

Living in southeast Arizona, my insight to what the committee is thinking comes mostly from this forum. That said, I think I remember reading a few years ago that Roughriders was getting support from several different directions. It is, after all, one of the state nicknames and makes sense in the Jayhawks, Sooners, Tar Heels type of reference. If it is an animal, would expect Nokotas to be a front runner.

In all deference to the variety of names proposed in other threads, I do not expect a name with ethnic ties to be selected (i.e. Norse), nor, in this politically correct world for it to be 'Fighting' anything, and especially not the Big Cocks. If it is not the Roughriders, which despite SiouxPhan27 and Fetch's complaints is one of the best names to rally around, then a guess would be for it to be a color or weather phenomena (Blizzard, Storm, etc).

• Upvote 1