SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-16 Looking Ahead

niouxsiouxfan

Things are what they are, I think it's obvious. Let's try and stay positive, negativity can go elsewhere on this forum.

With the tournament here, and our new guys coming in, why not look forward to next season?

Presuming everyone is eligible to play I see two different starting lineups possible.

Small (most likely to start this way as Jones seems to like running 3 guard sets)

1. Hooker, 2. Crandall, 3.  Seales, 4. Shields, 5. Shanks

Cashman could be started in place of either 4/5, especially to go Shanks/Cashman at same time.  Not sure yet, but for rotation purpose this makes sense to me.

Bench is deep with Bernstine, Collins, McDermott, Tyler?, Hobaugh, Benton, Blake, DeRouen?, Coleman?

I think you have to give the three guard lineup serious consideration, as we already know what Hooker is capable of, and give him another year of development, he will be even better.  With Crandall's ability to run point or be a creator/scorer he has to be on the floor to take heat off of Hooker.  Then put Seales out there also and you now have three unselfish players that can score or create, they dont care as long as they are successful.  One may be garnering more defensive pressure and the others will be there to make up for it. I see Hooker resting with Crandall at the 1 and going to a big lineup and creating more mismatches off that.

Big (likely with Crandall at point, but Hooker is obviously capable of running this as well, even Seales if needed)

1. Crandall, 2. Seales/McDermott, 3. Collins/Shields, 4. Shanks/Bernstine, 5. Cashman

This lineup will be a work in progress to see who fits best where, when needed.  I know thats vague, but different players can create problems defensively for other teams. 

I think the most productive lineup will be with Hooker and Crandall in at the same time with another guard playing up with them. The younger players ability to score, coupled with their unselfishness and desire to win should produce a very fun team to watch.

Defensively, these guys all like playing pressure defense, so I'm sure we will see a more sustained full court man, with more rotation to keep them fresh.  We also have players that are adept at getting boards, which is a need for this team.

Here's to hoping for a much improved season!  It should be a good one.

There is no chance that Hooker doesn't start. It seems likely that Seales will not redshirt, but I imagine Collins and McDermott do. You really think Seales and Crandall will get starting nods over seniors who started all year for us in De Rouen and Tyler? Not saying they don't deserve to but I see De Rouen and Tyler starting the year out in the lineup.

The lineup that I hope to see is something like this:

1. Hooker

2. Crandall

3. Coleman

4. Cashman

5. Shanks

Things are what they are, I think it's obvious. Let's try and stay positive, negativity can go elsewhere on this forum.

With the tournament here, and our new guys coming in, why not look forward to next season?

Presuming everyone is eligible to play I see two different starting lineups possible.

Small (most likely to start this way as Jones seems to like running 3 guard sets)

1. Hooker, 2. Crandall, 3.  Seales, 4. Shields, 5. Shanks

Cashman could be started in place of either 4/5, especially to go Shanks/Cashman at same time.  Not sure yet, but for rotation purpose this makes sense to me.

Bench is deep with Bernstine, Collins, McDermott, Tyler?, Hobaugh, Benton, Blake, DeRouen?, Coleman?

I think you have to give the three guard lineup serious consideration, as we already know what Hooker is capable of, and give him another year of development, he will be even better.  With Crandall's ability to run point or be a creator/scorer he has to be on the floor to take heat off of Hooker.  Then put Seales out there also and you now have three unselfish players that can score or create, they dont care as long as they are successful.  One may be garnering more defensive pressure and the others will be there to make up for it. I see Hooker resting with Crandall at the 1 and going to a big lineup and creating more mismatches off that.

Big (likely with Crandall at point, but Hooker is obviously capable of running this as well, even Seales if needed)

1. Crandall, 2. Seales/McDermott, 3. Collins/Shields, 4. Shanks/Bernstine, 5. Cashman

This lineup will be a work in progress to see who fits best where, when needed.  I know thats vague, but different players can create problems defensively for other teams. 

I think the most productive lineup will be with Hooker and Crandall in at the same time with another guard playing up with them. The younger players ability to score, coupled with their unselfishness and desire to win should produce a very fun team to watch.

Defensively, these guys all like playing pressure defense, so I'm sure we will see a more sustained full court man, with more rotation to keep them fresh.  We also have players that are adept at getting boards, which is a need for this team.

Here's to hoping for a much improved season!  It should be a good one.

Really like that small lineup, with Cashman sneaking in ahead of Shields, and McDermott and/or Collins redshirting. I really

liked what I saw of Cashman this season and he gives us a little more bulk/rebounding with the smaller lineup. If Cashman and Shanks work hard and develop over the offseason, along with the others, it could make for a pretty exciting season.

There is no chance that Hooker doesn't start. It seems likely that Seales will not redshirt, but I imagine Collins and McDermott do. You really think Seales and Crandall will get starting nods over seniors who started all year for us in De Rouen and Tyler? Not saying they don't deserve to but I see De Rouen and Tyler starting the year out in the lineup.

1. Hooker

2. Crandall

3. Coleman

4. Cashman

5. Shanks

Not sure I would play Cashman and Shanks at the same time.  Way too slow and big to be able to handle athletic teams.  They should interchange with each other.  Need an athletic 4 out there, even if he is a bit undersized.  Bernstine or Hobaugh come to mind.

What I like about De Rouen: hard-nosed, can score, not afraid of getting down and dirty.

What I don't like about De Rouen: undisciplined, takes bad shots, makes bad fouls. 

Not sure what he's like in the locker room - appears he could go either way there. He does add some nice depth to the team just needs a little more court discipline.

What I like about De Rouen: hard-nosed, can score, not afraid of getting down and dirty.

What I don't like about De Rouen: undisciplined, takes bad shots, makes bad fouls. 

Not sure what he's like in the locker room - appears he could go either way there. He does add some nice depth to the team just needs a little more court discipline.

So - what you're saying is that he is going to learn some court discipline from our program?  Good One.  

Bernstine has close to 100% chance of starting. Started for awhile at Denver RPI 145 Team as true freshman. Did get nicked up and fell out of favor at DU. who's Princeton offense did not suit Brickstine's skill set. Like Hooker,and Brickstine to start for sure....guess is that Geno, Seales , and  Shanks will fill out the starting 5.  Like for Tyler stick to the off guard and out of the front court.

I have not followed the basketball chatter very closely recently, but I feel like I would have noticed this. Did Jones get fired, or was someone just messing up Wikipedia entries? That being said, if this is indeed false, is Jones expected back next season?

Wikipedia

Brian Jones is the former head coach for the men's basketball team at the University of North Dakota. Was fired after an abysmal season and a terrible nine years. He is a graduate of University of Northern Iowa. Jones was a longtime assistant on the coaching staffs of Steve Alford. While working with Alford, he participated in the Division I NCAA Tournament 4 times, once with Southwest Missouri St. and 3 times with Iowa. Jones was named the 18th head coach of the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux basketball program on May 25, 2006. Under Jones' tenure at North Dakota, the University won back-to-back Great West Tournament Championships in 2011 and 2012, and he has led UND to three consecutive appearances in the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament.

I have not followed the basketball chatter very closely recently, but I feel like I would have noticed this. Did Jones get fired, or was someone just messing up Wikipedia entries? That being said, if this is indeed false, is Jones expected back next season?

Wikipedia

Brian Jones is the former head coach for the men's basketball team at the University of North Dakota. Was fired after an abysmal season and a terrible nine years. He is a graduate of University of Northern Iowa. Jones was a longtime assistant on the coaching staffs of Steve Alford. While working with Alford, he participated in the Division I NCAA Tournament 4 times, once with Southwest Missouri St. and 3 times with Iowa. Jones was named the 18th head coach of the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux basketball program on May 25, 2006. Under Jones' tenure at North Dakota, the University won back-to-back Great West Tournament Championships in 2011 and 2012, and he has led UND to three consecutive appearances in the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament.

It's false.  He's expected to be back for what is likely a make or break season.

I'd be fine with De Rouen getting buried at the end of the bench.

I think we've had enough of a sample size to get an idea of what he is. His negatives are very bad.  We have kids coming that play as hard or harder defense and better disciplined. And offensively, they will make better decisions.  If he is on this team next year, i dont see him getting much time.  Hooker, Crandall, Seales, Tyler, McDermott.  All guards that have to have minutes. Maybe McDermott redshirts, but his shooting is going to be needed.

Brickstine has close to 100% chance of starting. Started for awhile at Denver RPI 145 Team as true freshman. Did get nicked up and fell out of favor at DU. who's Princeton offense did not suit Brickstine's skill set. Like Hooker,and Brickstine to start for sure....guess is that Geno, Seales , and  Shanks will fill out the starting 5.  Like for Tyler stick to the off guard and out of the front court.

I take your word on this, I havent seen him, just heard.  I figured he would give serious minutes off of bench, with possibility of getting starting role.  But I'll gladly take an athletic 6'8" kid that can board in the starting lineup.

1. Hooker

2. Crandall

3. Coleman

4. Cashman

5. Shanks

Simple answer-YES!

I agree that most instances Hooker starts.  Just some scenarios could be there where he doesn't, or switches out in game to big lineup.  No disrespect to him!

To answer your question better - I think DeRouen has shown enough problems that he will get few minutes. I like Tyler, but his size and athleticism arent what Crandall and Seales bring.  Tyler fits a backup guard perfectly I think.  Coming off the bench will also allow him to look to be more of a shooter, presuming he subs Hooker and Crandall goes to point.  You have Hooker leading the first group, then Crandall taking point and Tyler's experience helping round out second grouping.  Then Hooker can spell Crandall on next sub.  I think you can swing these three guys specifically to keep them fresh throughout season. However, I know Hooker is used to major minutes as is Crandall, the coach may have to step in and get them to rest for the long haul.

I think our back court is going to be phenomenal, and a good time to watch.

• Upvote 1

Wikipedia

Have to say whoever posted this false information on WIKI is assinine and it's triple assinine if they claim to be a UND fan and did it. 

Simple answer-YES!

I agree that most instances Hooker starts.  Just some scenarios could be there where he doesn't, or switches out in game to big lineup.  No disrespect to him!

To answer your question better - I think DeRouen has shown enough problems that he will get few minutes. I like Tyler, but his size and athleticism arent what Crandall and Seales bring.  Tyler fits a backup guard perfectly I think.  Coming off the bench will also allow him to look to be more of a shooter, presuming he subs Hooker and Crandall goes to point.  You have Hooker leading the first group, then Crandall taking point and Tyler's experience helping round out second grouping.  Then Hooker can spell Crandall on next sub.  I think you can swing these three guys specifically to keep them fresh throughout season. However, I know Hooker is used to major minutes as is Crandall, the coach may have to step in and get them to rest for the long haul.

I think our back court is going to be phenomenal, and a good time to watch.

If there is an instance that Hooker is not in the starting line-up any time in the next two years I'd love to hear it.  He should also be playing 32-34 minutes a night without question.  He averaged just over 34 this year and almost 36.5 in conference play.  He could have used a few more breaks a couple games this year but this is his team the next 2 years.

The lock: Hooker

No discussion here

Pretty sure:  Seales

We need to get him on the floor anyway we can, it helps that he is 6'4, can handle the rock, and can score in multiple ways.  If he can go what Huff did his freshman year we have a great secondary piece

My guess

Hooker

Crandall*

Seales

Shields*

Shanks*

I could see Tyler starting over Geno

I could see Brick starting over Sheilds

I could see Cashman starting over Shanks

Bench

Tyler*

Brick*

Cashman*

Coleman

Houbaugh

Richman

De Rouen

Collins (next favorite for redshirt to be pulled) 

McD (redshirt for sure, 100%)

Benton

Blake

i wouldn't mind a more "normal" five...might be able to get a rebound or two with this size??

hooker-pg

coleman-sg

shields-sf

bernstine-pf

shanks-c

I think this might be pretty close but I would guess that Tyler starts at SG over Coleman but I think the 3 spot is the one up for grabs with Hobaugh or Coleman with the inside track unless someone else takes a big jump.  Don't see UND starting 3 guys 6'8" or taller (not enough athleticism on defense) and don't think any of the Fr or RFr will start, at least at the beginning of the year.

Shanks and Cashman need to develop some consistency both mentally and physically this offseason.  They both need to build some strength.  Cashman and Shanks need to focus on their post moves, finishing strong, and  rebound, rebound, rebound.

More for Shanks than Cashman, work on that mid range shot. 

The development of these two, plus Shields, IMO will the main factor for any real contendership in the Sky.  It helps to have the guards, and our guards will be very solid.  But the pessimist in me says we will end up with this schedule.

Weber x2

EWU x2

Montana x2

Which means seeing Jois, Buening, and Bolumboy twice. 

I'm not saying they need to be dominating YET.... but they need to be able to handle their own more times than not.  They did at times last year, but they need to do it a hell of a lot more next year.