SiouxSports.com Forum

Twins ?

Fetch

39 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

The amount of hate that the brain trust has gotten is getting out of hand, they are being treated like TR was still in charge.  

As for the closer, I have out of the box solution: Trevor May

Sorry, who is TR?  Teddy Roosevelt?  Tony Randall?

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, siouxforcefans said:

Mauer launches a grand slam (to center!) and the Twins finally beat the Yankees.  During this season, small victories like breaking that losing streak to NY are/were all we got.

That's huge: I don't know, like in the last 10 - 20 years, if there is a team in the majors that has the twins # like the Yanks do, or even any other team over another?

12 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So does Mauer hang it up at the end of the year?  

I hope not.  And I also hope he stays in MN. 

We all know his last contract was only good for an all-star catcher, and has been a target of MN "fans" since the very next injury, but he is still an effective player and he's the face of the organization.  Local boy who has only played for the local team.  Probably only one (or one of two or three) Twins players that other teams' fan bases can name.  My hope is that they can come to agreement on a reasonable contract, maybe a 3 year deal, and let him finish out his career in MN.

4 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So does Mauer hang it up at the end of the year?  

3 hours ago, siouxforcefans said:

I hope not.  And I also hope he stays in MN. 

We all know his last contract was only good for an all-star catcher, and has been a target of MN "fans" since the very next injury, but he is still an effective player and he's the face of the organization.  Local boy who has only played for the local team.  Probably only one (or one of two or three) Twins players that other teams' fan bases can name.  My hope is that they can come to agreement on a reasonable contract, maybe a 3 year deal, and let him finish out his career in MN.

Coming soon to a Topps card near you...Joe Mauer NOT in a Twins uniform.

Willie_Mays_Mets_74topps.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Blackheart said:

looked like a last game to me...

Yeah, it definitely had all the boxes checked.  Watching his press conference, the White Sox had committed to not swinging at that pitch while he was the catcher.  You likely don't do that in a close game if you think that he'll ever be on the field again.

In typical Mauer fashion, he is low key about the whole situation and doesn't want to draw attention to himself.  I never liked when players (Jeter, Rivera, Bi Papi, etc) that go on a year long "retirement tour" and opposing teams make a big spectacle about it and have pregame ceremonies to give gifts.  That's jut not Joe's style.  He could have at the very least announce on Saturday night that Sunday was going to be his last game.  But Joe wanted the whole experience of his last game to be as normal as possible.  I am not a Twins fan, but I have a lot of respect for Mauer in the way he played the game.   The class he has was evident through his entire career and was on display yesterday right up to that last pitch he took behind the plate.  

2 hours ago, sioux rube said:

I guess that 6 game ending winning streak couldn't save his ass. Have always been a Molly fan but with Levine coming in it was just a matter time he would get his own guy.

It will probably come down to Shelton or Brad Mills from Cleveland.  

7 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

It will probably come down to Shelton or Brad Mills from Cleveland.  

There are a lot of quality managers that are going to be available. Molitor never could manage a lineup or a bullpen very well and thus he overachieved last year. The Twins have stayed in the family for a long time, its time to go outside and bring new blood in.

2 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

There are a lot of quality managers that are going to be available. Molitor never could manage a lineup or a bullpen very well and thus he overachieved last year. The Twins have stayed in the family for a long time, its time to go outside and bring new blood in.

I agree but now I’ve heard Cuddyer’s name come up. They have said they aren’t necessarily looking for a manager with experience. Knowing the Twins they will hire a good ol boy