SiouxSports.com Forum

Twins ?

Fetch

1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Pohlad's got plenty of coin. They choose to do this crap.

Btw, twins gonna win the WS this year. Gonna be LIT

It's gonna be a tough road out of the AL this year....they likely get the Yankees, Indians, then Boston/Houston.  

On 9/15/2017 at 11:59 AM, Blackheart said:

Maybe if Mauer's contract was a little more friendly they wouldn't have to....

Mauer's contract has done absolutely zero to prevent them from signing players. They've been well below their "self-imposed" salary cap for a long time now. 

I never get the Mauer contract argument. People complain the Pohlad's are cheap and don't keep their star players yet people continue to rip the most obvious example of actually paying one of the premier players in baseball anywhere near his market value before he gets to free agency.

39 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Mauer's contract has done absolutely zero to prevent them from signing players. They've been well below their "self-imposed" salary cap for a long time now. 

I never get the Mauer contract argument. People complain the Pohlad's are cheap and don't keep their star players yet people continue to rip the most obvious example of actually paying one of the premier players in baseball anywhere near his market value before he gets to free agency.

I agree with you almost 100%.  I think the one issue is that Mauer got that contract as a catcher. If he has the same numbers from behind the plate, a lot* of these people are complaining about something else.

*Some would still complain about him, but that group is going to be complaining about something at all times.  MN sports fans...   The team could be undefeated and there would be people whining.

11 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

I agree with you almost 100%.  I think the one issue is that Mauer got that contract as a catcher. If he has the same numbers from behind the plate, a lot* of these people are complaining about something else.

*Some would still complain about him, but that group is going to be complaining about something at all times.  MN sports fans...   The team could be undefeated and there would be people whining.

Very true. His plate numbers as a catcher are way more valuable than as a first baseman and propped up his value a decent amount. I don't think it is a surprise he ended up at first base because he wasn't going to play his whole career as a catcher, but the concussions expedited that move by a few seasons. However it is really impressive how good of a defensive first baseman he has become, he has a legit shot to win a Gold Glove there this year.

Mauer's $23,000,000 is high, but it wasn't crazy at the time it was given.  He has one more year on the deal at $23,000,000.  The young guys have several more years before they are UFAs.  Buxton, Rosario, Sano, and Berrios will be relatively cheap for  3-4 more years.   Dozier will need big $ soon if they keep him, and they need pitching.  They have a decent window before the young guys will bail for more $, but have a few holes to fill.

3 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Surprise surprise. The damn Yankees sweep the Twins. The Big Sexy honeymoon is over. 

To be honest, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.  The Twins got a lot out of him and he stopped that revolving door at the 5th starter spot.  Perhaps he will have one more good one left in him this season

That was an awful series.  They need to beat up on Detroit here. 

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:56 AM, Walsh Hall said:

Mauer's $23,000,000 is high, but it wasn't crazy at the time it was given.  He has one more year on the deal at $23,000,000.  The young guys have several more years before they are UFAs.  Buxton, Rosario, Sano, and Berrios will be relatively cheap for  3-4 more years.   Dozier will need big $ soon if they keep him, and they need pitching.  They have a decent window before the young guys will bail for more $, but have a few holes to fill.

The issue they are going to run into with Dozier is with uber prospect Nick Gordon, who should be close to ready at some point next year.  I find it hard to believe that both Doz and Polanco will still be with the team by the time the 2019 season rolls around. 

It was nice to see Joe have a bit of a renaissance this year.  Let's be real here, if he made the same amount of money elsewhere the same fans would be knocking the team for not spending any money to keep the hometown kid. Be interesting to see what happened at the end of next year and what he decides to do, I would think the Twins would offer him a extension (with obviously less $$$ of course).  

It will go down as one of the great what-if in MN sports history:  What if the M & M boys were fully healthy.... 

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:02 AM, jdub27 said:

Very true. His plate numbers as a catcher are way more valuable than as a first baseman and propped up his value a decent amount. I don't think it is a surprise he ended up at first base because he wasn't going to play his whole career as a catcher, but the concussions expedited that move by a few seasons. However it is really impressive how good of a defensive first baseman he has become, he has a legit shot to win a Gold Glove there this year.

Somewhat humorous antidote for you:

So, going back a couple of years, and I was sitting at the rail having a bite to eat at Spitfire in West Fargo.  A couple of typical "sports fans" to my right are arguing about the Twins.  I was feeling a bit mischievous that evening (and I'm sure the Sam Adams didn't hurt that), and so I end up engaged in the conversation with them.  One is losing his **** over the other's statement that Mauer would win a Gold Glove at first base.  Just because the "no he won't" guy was more obnoxious, I took the side that he would win one, arguing that catching was a more difficult defensive position than first, and he just needed a little time being in a new position.  Not even that night, did I think he'd actually pull it off.  Glad to see him improve to the point of at least being in the conversation!

2 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

After beating the Tigers once again today the magic number is down to 5. 

Hey, that photo was just before the Islanders ran off 4 consecutive Stanley Cups (1980-83). My favorite era of hockey. I grew up watching the Islanders, Oilers and North Stars during that era.

36 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Hey, that photo was just before the Islanders ran off 4 consecutive Stanley Cups (1980-83). My favorite era of hockey. I grew up watching the Islanders, Oilers and North Stars during that era.

I was in my late teens during that era. I watched many a game at the old Met. 

• Upvote 1