SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Grant Paranikka

kingranch

I've been saying for years that instead of a north-south divide, it should be east (Central) and west (Red River). Apparently nobody on the school board agrees. I get the whole "tradition" argument, but frankly you could not possibly come up with a line that is more inequitable than where the current one is while still keeping somewhat equal enrollments.

The problem is that whenever someone wants to change the boundary lines, Red River hockey parents start complaining loudly and the issue is tabled for a few years.  Then we rinse and repeat.  If we don't change the lines soon, we will have overcrowding at Red River and lots of unused space at Central.  Time for the Board to suck it up and change the boundaries and let the detractors complain all they want.

I've been saying for years that instead of a north-south divide, it should be east (Central) and west (Red River). Apparently nobody on the school board agrees. I get the whole "tradition" argument, but frankly you could not possibly come up with a line that is more inequitable than where the current one is while still keeping somewhat equal enrollments.

One problem with east west is Adams drive would be the east.... Most of those cake eaters wouldn't be caught dead at central.

One problem with east west is Adams drive would be the east.... Most of those cake eaters wouldn't be caught dead at central.

Some would open enroll into RR, and that's fine. It would take awhile for people's perceptions to change. But the reality is that a lot of parents in the present RR district went to Central, and would probably welcome the change. And a lot of others don't have long histories in GF, and therefore wouldn't necessarily have as many preconceived notions about which school their kid should attend. 

Some would open enroll into RR, and that's fine. It would take awhile for people's perceptions to change. But the reality is that a lot of parents in the present RR district went to Central, and would probably welcome the change. And a lot of others don't have long histories in GF, and therefore wouldn't necessarily have as many preconceived notions about which school their kid should attend.

I went to Central through open enrollment. It's one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I went to Central through open enrollment. It's one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Myself and all brothers went to Central and my niece currently attends Central through open enrollment. Her decision was made mainly by where her friends were going. Nothing to do with sports or academics. Everybody has there thing that sways them towards one.

When Will forks need a new high school

Your wife or gf needs to pump more babies out.

GF will have to grow a lot bigger. The AFB used to be 1\3 of Centrals kids. Now what, 10%?

South of 32nd Ave and west of I-29 is supposed to be a new growth area. That would be the area where a 3rd HS goes, if it ever comes to that. UAS industry has to take off in GF though.

Much further south, the Thompson district would have be it. Further north, Manvel. Further west, Emerado/Larimore. The GFK school district is tiny, much like Fargo's. A lot of western Fargo kids go to WF.

A recent boundary change has some Ben Franklin kids going to Valley and Central. The N/S dividing line just keeps moving south.

I guess thats why in the 90s my brother went to RR and 7 years later without moving I went to central.

We lived on 17th ave so behind holy family.

How can that be? The population of the city has grown considerably.

Grand Forks has grown in terms of spreading out and adding businesses, but the overall population hasn't risen much. My personal observation is that it seems the people that are added are UND students (who primarily don't have school aged kids) or people in their 40's and 50's (whose kids have cleared out). I'm too lazy to look up exact numbers but I know the GF Public School student population had declined/been pretty stagnant since the flood. However I think the last couple years has seen an uptick.