SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux-cia

1 minute ago, petey23 said:

Pretty sure this is why we brought in a firm specializing in Title 9 compliance ahead of time.

I didn't expect her to win the lawsuit with what was coming from people in the know up in Duluth and the hockey community. 

37 minutes ago, Cratter said:

So now a university has to be prepared to go to court anytime they want to fire the coach?

I read the Herald article. Doesn't really address what the lawsuit was about? 

What does "sex discrimination and retaliation" mean? 

Supposedly the catch was the way they fired her. Originally said it was because of budget issues then said it was also performance based but they didn't want to hurt her feelings or reputation since the decision was already made so they didn't bring that up initially. Both were likely true. 

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Hasn't Brad put out several articles ripping Miller and defending UMD? Or do I have that backwards?

You are correct, Brad has written at least a couple times detailing her decline in performance and other issues. 

https://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=99140

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/opinion/columns/3870287-local-view-miller-didnt-earn-new-contract-umd

• 10 months later...

Really...……….Really :huh:

Shannon Miller awarded $4.21 Million now, because $3.74 Million just wasn't enough.

She did try to get an extra $3 Million to go with the $3.74 Million or be reinstated as the head coach.

Part of me wants Duluth to announce that Miller caused them to end women's hockey at the school.

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/news/crime-and-courts/4570634-shannon-miller-verdict-increased-421-million#.XGRjm-Nwj9Q.twitter

On 3/15/2018 at 6:59 PM, Cratter said:

So now a university has to be prepared to go to court anytime they want to fire the coach?

I read the Herald article. Doesn't really address what the lawsuit was about? 

What does "sex discrimination and retaliation" mean? 

Only if they're female, gay, or a minority. The fact that they sucked is negated by the previous three.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, runaroundsioux said:

Only if they're female, gay, or a minority. The fact that they sucked is negated by the previous three.

I know people that played for her and some people that were involved with other sports at Duluth during her tenure. She was not a good co worker. She played by her own rules and probably deserved to be fired. With that said her superiors (AD/president) did an awful job of following protocol. They get paid good money to do their jobs and they were terrible at it. That cost the state and university big time. In my opinion she’s better at her job than the administration is at theirs. 

With all that said what’s wrong with our system when a women’s hockey coach gets fired improper or not gets paid over 4 Million. A program none the less that is heavily subsidized. Our university systems spending are completely out of control.