SiouxSports.com Forum

Adrian Peterson wants trade to Cowboys

That works for me, too. Honor your contract AP you big baby.

The image of the Vikings brass awaiting entry into AP's "compound" and watching them wait for him to answer his doorbell tells me all I need to know about who is holding the cards here...Vikings grovel and beg AP to come back and play. Dump his a** off on the Browns or Jaguars and then sit back and grab the popcorn.

• Upvote 1

The image of the Vikings brass awaiting entry into AP's "compound" and watching them wait for him to answer his doorbell tells me all I need to know about who is holding the cards here...Vikings grovel and beg AP to come back and play. Dump his a** off on the Browns or Jaguars and then sit back and grab the popcorn.

Peterson was at the door waiting for them.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/28263705/video-adrian-peterson-hugs-it-out-with-zimmer-spielman

You already have your mind madeup in this situation it seems and/or you aren't a Vikings fan. Peterson staying is the best option for the Vikes.

Hot rumor is AP and the Vikings' 2015 7th rounder for Arizona's 2015 2nd rounder and 2016 5th rounder...

I don't know where you got the idea that AP would be worth top draft picks (plural) AND current players...

Why does an intelligent individual like yourself believe the media narrative that because AP is now 30 years old, he is washed up?  Cripes, three years ago, he rushed for over 2,000 yards.  And last season he sat out the final 15 games, thus sparing his body all that punishment from NFL defenses.  AP works out as hard as anyone in the NFL and is always working to get better.  I don't think he has stopped his workouts because of all these legal problems, so he should feel better than he has in years.  A lot of teams that are looking to win now and are one or two players away from the Super Bowl will be interested in AP.  And the Cowboys (the original team of interest), don't have Murray anymore, so their RB situation has changed.

Bottom line: AP will either play with the Vikings this season or be traded for whatever they can get for him.  Cutting him is not going to happen, Denny Green isn't in charge anymore, remember?

Why does an intelligent individual like yourself believe the media narrative that because AP is now 30 years old, he is washed up?  Cripes, three years ago, he rushed for over 2,000 yards.  

Because of stats like this:  http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/123542/inside-slant-running-back-cliff-after-age-27

How old was AP when he rushed for more than 2,000 yards?  How many did he have the following year?  Why did his YPC go down a yard and a half from one season to the next?  

It says when a player turns 28, their stats tend to return to when they were 25.  

AP at 27 - 2,097 yds, 6 ypc in 16 games

AP at 28 - 1,266 yds, 4.5 ypc in 14 games

AP at 25 - 1,298 yds, 4.6 ypc in 15 games

Looks like he is following the traditional trend of regression after 27.  

Why does an intelligent individual like yourself believe the media narrative that because AP is now 30 years old, he is washed up?  Cripes, three years ago, he rushed for over 2,000 yards.  And last season he sat out the final 15 games, thus sparing his body all that punishment from NFL defenses.  AP works out as hard as anyone in the NFL and is always working to get better.  I don't think he has stopped his workouts because of all these legal problems, so he should feel better than he has in years.  A lot of teams that are looking to win now and are one or two players away from the Super Bowl will be interested in AP.  And the Cowboys (the original team of interest), don't have Murray anymore, so their RB situation has changed.

Bottom line: AP will either play with the Vikings this season or be traded for whatever they can get for him.  Cutting him is not going to happen, Denny Green isn't in charge anymore, remember?

The Vikings are stuck in a hard place. They either keep him and he holds out (passes on millions of dollars) or the Vikings trade him for whatever they can get. We will all find out by next week (i think thats when the draft is). AP's value isn't as high as you think. He ran for 2000 yards THREE years ago, history proves that RB dont last that long in the NFL.

AP right now is better than any RB that any team could pick up in the draft and better than any running back that a team is willing to trade.  So why would the Viking want to get rid of him.  You can say all you want about his age and his declining numbers, but who that the Vikings even have a chance at getting through trade or draft would be any better?  Until someone can give me an answer to that, I'll stil with AP.

• Upvote 1

AP right now is better than any RB that any team could pick up in the draft and better than any running back that a team is willing to trade.  So why would the Viking want to get rid of him.  You can say all you want about his age and his declining numbers, but who that the Vikings even have a chance at getting through trade or draft would be any better?  Until someone can give me an answer to that, I'll stil with AP.

Any running back drafted will have a lot more tread left on the tires and have a much, much more cap friendly contract.  No one actually knows what AP has left in the tank.

That being said, if I'm the Vikings I try to get a respectable haul for him and if I can't, then I put him on the field and hope he still has a few good years left.

Doesn't matter if AP is better than anyone else, HE HOLDS ALL THE CARDS. The Vikings can't make him play for them and if he is truly unhappy in MN it would be wise for them to move him for something.  Nothing in AP's contract is guaranteed and AP knows that.... 

Doesn't matter if AP is better than anyone else, HE HOLDS ALL THE CARDS. The Vikings can't make him play for them and if he is truly unhappy in MN it would be wise for them to move him for something.  Nothing in AP's contract is guaranteed and AP knows that.... 

No the Vikings hold all the cards. Either AP plays in Minnesota and the Vikings pay him or he doesn't play in the NFL and he doesn't get his money. The only way he will be playing in the NFL for anyone other than the Vikings is if another team meets the Vikings demands of a high draft pick/good player.

No the Vikings hold all the cards. Either AP plays in Minnesota and the Vikings pay him or he doesn't play in the NFL and he doesn't get his money. The only way he will be playing in the NFL for anyone other than the Vikings is if another team meets the Vikings demands of a high draft pick/good player.

no, the Vikings don't hold all the cards. he has enough money and he could just walk away and then the Vikings don't get anything in return. as much as Vikings fans want to think that they hold all the cards, they are wrong.

no, the Vikings don't hold all the cards. he has enough money and he could just walk away and then the Vikings don't get anything in return. as much as Vikings fans want to think that they hold all the cards, they are wrong.

Him walking away would also free up a lot of cap space.  AP wants to play football and knows he's on the backside of his career.

AP's contract is a big factor. In today's NFL, no running back is worth what he is getting paid. Much smarter to pay much less for an average back or draft level contract for a rookie and use the leftover money for a bigger impact position like a shutdown corner or great pass rusher or great o-linemen.

Do you really think AP will leave all that money on the table and retire?  After the year he has had, he is itching to get back on the field and focus on football (and keep collecting those huge paychecks).  What is happening right now is a high-stakes poker game being played in the media between AP's agent and the Vikings front office.  AP will not be cut and he will not retire.  He will either play with the Vikings or be traded to one of the teams of his choice (that is the only card he has to play here, he is not an unrestricted free agent).  Whatever happens, I just want to Vikings to keep building around Bridgewater and a young defense.

yes but he has made it clear that he wont play in MN, what are you people not understanding.

IMO, you have it completely wrong. As long as the Viking stick to their guns, AD has no cards to play. If he doesn't play out his contract with the Vikings he gets no money, the Vikings still own his rights for 3 more years, he doesn't rehabilitate his broken public image (costing him endorsement $$$), and he makes no progress toward establishing himself as the greatest running back ever, which IMO is very important to Adrian.

There's no way Adrian Peterson is going to walk way from his career. By holding out against a determined Vikings front office, he would effectively be doing just that.

• Upvote 4

IMO, you have it completely wrong. As long as the Viking stick to their guns, AD has no cards to play. If he doesn't play out his contract with the Vikings he gets no money, the Vikings still own his rights for 3 more years, he doesn't rehabilitate his broken public image (costing him endorsement $$$), and he makes no progress toward establishing himself as the greatest running back ever, which IMO is very important to Adrian.

There's no way Adrian Peterson is going to walk way from his career. By holding out against a determined Vikings front office, he would effectively be doing just that.

Yes, he will be traded but if he isn't traded before the draft his value keeps going down. He has stated many times over and over again that he wont play for the Vikings, what do you not understand? When a player of his caliber is un happy, the team does not keep them. Contracts in the NFL don't mean crap anymore, he will be moved before the draft and it wont be for a buttload of draft picks like Vikings fan thinks. Not sure if you guys listen to KFAN but even PA says the Vikings don't hold all the cards.

• Downvote 1

IMO, you have it completely wrong. As long as the Viking stick to their guns, AD has no cards to play. If he doesn't play out his contract with the Vikings he gets no money, the Vikings still own his rights for 3 more years, he doesn't rehabilitate his broken public image (costing him endorsement $$$), and he makes no progress toward establishing himself as the greatest running back ever, which IMO is very important to Adrian.

There's no way Adrian Peterson is going to walk way from his career. By holding out against a determined Vikings front office, he would effectively be doing just that.

I agree with this. Adrian's public image is shot. If he follows up the incident of beating his son by sitting out a year when he is due 12 million dollars, he will go from one if the best ever to cry baby in most peoples opinion.

The Vikings control whether he will play in the NFL again which gives them all the leverage. If he wants to walk away from the NFL and lose out on his money than so be it but if he wants to play in the NFL the only way that happens right now is in Minnesota. I can't see AP walking away from the NFL and the $$$ but who knows I'm sure he could use the money with all the child support he probably has to pay. If the Vikings are only being offered a 5th or 6th rounder or something I would much rather see the Vikings stick to their guns and force AP to make a decision of whether he really wants to play in the NFL or not.

Yes, he will be traded but if he isn't traded before the draft his value keeps going down. He has stated many times over and over again that he wont play for the Vikings, what do you not understand? When a player of his caliber is un happy, the team does not keep them. Contracts in the NFL don't mean crap anymore, he will be moved before the draft and it wont be for a buttload of draft picks like Vikings fan thinks. Not sure if you guys listen to KFAN but even PA says the Vikings don't hold all the cards.

I honestly have never heard him say that.  His agent has said that to leverage a position.  What makes you think that if push comes to shove, that he won't fire his agent and play out his contract, rather than leave the money and his tarnished legacy in tact?  His agent can't allow such an idea, or he loses his chance to try negotiate another contract following a trade. 

I believe AP wants to play in near his family.  That doesn't mean he won't continue to play in MN if it doesn't work out.

BTW, I'm not even a Viking fan.

• Upvote 1

Apparently you're listening to sports radio too much. 

I agree, the Vikings aren't likely to get much for AD in trade. Given his age and contract $$$, I'm thinking a 4th or 5th rounder. All the more reason to just tell him "play here or no where." If he decides to play here, they get a HOF player for at least another year. If he doesn't, they're out a mid-round draft pick, but still own AD rights.

In the end, the Vikings control where Adrian plays. If they want to play them, they indeed do have all the cards.

Peterson and his moron agent are down to about their last bridge to burn on this deal, I think it's about time for the Vikings to just say "shut your mouth and show up ready to play or retire and we'll use the bazillion dollars to pay other players who want to". If he won't do either suspend him for detrimental conduct. This has gone on long enough, they don't owe him anything.

We'll see how long until he changes his tune once camp opens.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/adrian-peterson-s-agent-trolls--confuses-vikings-fans-by-wearing-bucs-hat-135218792.html