SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 season

darell1976

There are no statistics that can be directly compared between teams on different levels. Truthfully, this sort of direct comparison is difficult even between conferences. For instance, directly comparing Wyoming to Ohio State or Alabama, in this manner, would also make little sense. And, I'm quite certain that even you would object to UND's stats being directly compared to MSU-Mankato's, or any other DII school.

Wyomings stats are closer to upper level fcs, und's stats are closer to----- you fill in the rest.

All jabs aside, we were a really young football team last year and with that is inconsistency. We had Montana on the ropes......and get slaughtered at Eastern Washington. I know injuries and style of play and match ups count, but we looked like two different teams in those games and they were weeks apart. So 2015...... we will be a little more mature, more established with last year's brand new coaching staff, we added 2 to 4 starters at semester break, and the 26 freshman or whatever the number is that played last year will be noticeably better.

Inter-conference statistic p!$$ing contest aside, the men on this football squad are just good all around people and demonstrate it with things like this time and time again.

Way to go, Dayo and Chris!

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/3685425-grand-forks-couple-avoids-homelessness-help-community

I have met Dayo a few times and he is really an impressive person.   He is a good student and a Chemical Engineering major.  Our 2015 team and beyond will be in good hands if we have people like him on board.

I honestly believe this team has a chance at 7-8 wins if they catch a few breaks. Defense was really good last year and they didn't lose much. Defense should be the best in the conference. Honestly the offense can't be much worse and they won 5 games with that offense last year. If they can get to middle of the Big Sky offense we could be looking at playoffs. If we get that kind of production on O and the D remains the top D in the conference which is more than possible with what is back I look at it like this.

Should be wins - Drake, UC Davis, Portland St. Weber State, UNC

Swing games - Idaho St., Montana, Montana St., Cal Poly

Probably Losses - Wyoming, NDSU

All they need to do is win 2 swing games or games i see as losses and they are at 7 wins.....3 of those and they are in the playoffs. I don't think this is that far fetched with that schedule if the offense is improved. 

It will be interesting to see how our defense does this year.  On paper they should be better but our scheme will not be "new" to anyone.  Offenses will have a full season to watch film on the consistent pressure we bring.  What adjustments will Schmidtty make?  Biggest adjustment would be if we get good enough up front to get pressure with 4 so we can drop 7 back every once in a while.

Our schedule helps us with tough OOC games (minus Drake) to get things in order for conference play I think Bubba will get this teams ducks in order and make a serious playoff run.

Drake was actually pretty solid last year in the Pioneer League.  They went 7-4 under their new coach.  Not saying they are the greatest but are far from Valpo or Davidson.  UND struggled with Drake a couple years ago, IIRC.

Drake was actually pretty solid last year in the Pioneer League.  They went 7-4 under their new coach.  Not saying they are the greatest but are far from Valpo or Davidson.  UND struggled with Drake a couple years ago, IIRC.

Was that the 16-0 game?

I'd move Weber State and Portland State into the swing games category.  UND had their hands full with Portland State and lost to Weber State both at home last year.  UND plays both on the road next year.  I know we all think UND will be improved, but until I actually see the improvement on the field, I'll consider those two games swing games.  I basically see the season as two games where wins are likely, two games where losses are likely, and a whole bunch where anything could happen.

• Upvote 1

I honestly believe this team has a chance at 7-8 wins if they catch a few breaks. Defense was really good last year and they didn't lose much. Defense should be the best in the conference. Honestly the offense can't be much worse and they won 5 games with that offense last year. If they can get to middle of the Big Sky offense we could be looking at playoffs. If we get that kind of production on O and the D remains the top D in the conference which is more than possible with what is back I look at it like this.

All they need to do is win 2 swing games or games i see as losses and they are at 7 wins.....3 of those and they are in the playoffs. I don't think this is that far fetched with that schedule if the offense is improved. 

We will know more as the season goes......Montana hosts NDSU, then we play NDSU, then we have a road test at Montana later in the year.  Point being.......the Griz are probably tired of traveling to UND 3 straight years.  I'm sure they will be ready to give us a taste of their home field.  We need to beat one of the following: Wyoming, NDSU, Montana, or Montana St. to earn some respect.  I think those 4 games are the measuring stick games, and 3 of them are on the road.

My thoughts 6 months prior to the season pre spring ball and fall camp............

Wyoming:  Don't know anything about them.  UND football is not yet in a place where I expect them to get a win against any FBS program.

Drake:  Should win this one fairly convincingly, at least by 17+

NDSU:  They are not a horrible matchup for our defense, but based on last year there is no way that I can expect our offense to do anything against what I feel has been the best overal defense in FCS for several years now.  Anything can happen in a rivalry game though.

UC Davis:  Davis was 2-9 last year and has been down for a few years now.  This should be a win in the Alerus.

Portland St:  After winning at home last year, and losing by just 1 at PSU in 2013, I feel like this is a game UND can win

Idaho St.:  This is not at all a good match up for UND, based on how our secondary played last season.

Weber St.:  The loss to the Wildcats at home last year really bothered me.  I feel like we should beat them, but am not real confident.

Montana:  We've always competed fairly well with the Griz (except 2013), but they will have a very different offensive scheme.  Tough to get wins in WaGriz

Montana St.:  We played all right against them last year.  With the game at home, hopefully this is the year we close the gap on them.

Northern Colorado:  Senior day in the Alerus against Da Bears should send the seniors out on a high note.

Cal Poly:  Bubba and Schmidt have built this defense to stop the run, and that is exactly what Poly is goint to try and do.  Over and over and over.  Tough road game to close the season.

I see 3 games where we are the clear favorite:  Drake, UC Davis, and UNC.

I see 3 games wher we are clearly the underdog:  Wyoming, NDSU, and Montana

The other 5, for me, are too close to call either way right now.  I think best case scenario, we win 7 games with 6 being more likely.

• Upvote 2

Arrington looks pretty quick. Sounds like a good guy too. I hope he does well with this opportunity.

Still a little too early to tell for sure, but his work ethic and mindset are early indications he will be "the guy" for the UND running attack this season. After spring ball, everyone should have a better idea what he will bring to the table. 

I hate being the news breaker on sheet like this

Pretty sure you've never provided a single solid detail on anything.  All vague, blanket statements, usually on stuff others have known for quite a while.  And you clearly enjoy throwing that kind of crap out there.  Still waiting for the rest of those FBS transfers and Kalen DeBoer to sign his contract to be head coach.