SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 season

darell1976

For at least next year I would take a loss in every game except against FU.

Good thing you aren't playing then. That would be no better than MBB last year when we beat the AC by 20 and didnt get to the playoffs. We should always be worried about the next game obviously, but we need to make the playoffs and next year is doable. We are playing the AC cuz Bubba wanted to play them. We better be ready to compete. We competed in most games last year and got blown out in a couple. If we are moving forward we start winning the close ones and we don't get blown out by anybody. If Mollberg is healthy we win at least 7 or 8 next fall maybe more and have a legit shot at playoffs. There isn't a team in Big Sky we can't compete with. Wyoming and the AC will be tough but if the defense improves we can be in those games. If we are in those games in the fourth quarter anything can happen. The AC rivalry just isn't the big deal it was 20 yrs ago. It will take time. We need to quit worrying about the AC and take care of what we can control. Still have a way to go and hopefully we will make the necessary improvement to be successful.

• Upvote 3

I agree with Ira.

I'm going to stick with common coach speak; but one must remember, it's cliché for a reason:

One game at a time. So, as for now, I'm hoping for that showdown in Wyoming to end with a UND 'W'. If UND can go on the road and beat an FBS team, then FCS playoffs are immediately looking good.

2014 Stats Out of 125 FBS teams and 121 FCS teams

Pass Off:   Wyoming 67th (FBS) 227.8

UND        110th (FCS) 137.9

Rush Off:  Wyoming t77th (FBS) 153.2

UND        103rd (FCS) 116.4

Scoring Off: Wyoming 107th (FBS) 21.1

UND        109th (FCS) 15.9

Passing Def: Wyoming 61st (FBS)  227.8 (yds per game)

UND         99th (FCS) 251.9 (yds per game)

Rushing Def: Wyoming 101st (FBS) 203 (yds per game)

UND          5th (FCS)  102.5 (yds per game)

Scoring Def:  Wyoming 100th (FBS) 32.8 pts per game

UND         56th  (FCS) 26.2 pts per game

I think we match up pretty well with Wyoming. We could see a nail biter like we did with Fresno State, NIU, and San Diego State.

How UND actually matches up with Wyoming is yet to be seen. But these numbers are just apples and oranges. Wyoming compiled those stats playing a FBS schedule, which, of course, makes a direct comparison to UND's stats against FCS opponents meaningless.

How UND actually matches up with Wyoming is yet to be seen. But these numbers are just apples and oranges. Wyoming compiled those stats playing a FBS schedule, which, of course, makes a direct comparison to UND's stats against FCS opponents meaningless.

So what stats should be used in comparing, then? 

Stick to slandering high school kids on Bisonville, Dan.  Burgundy will back you up.  

You guys stick to thinking your run defense is so wonderful when your defense played heavy on run d and left your cb's and safeties out on a island.  Give coach credit it worked on some teams as there isn't a good run team or RB in the BSC.  It would have been interesting to see you guys play Cal Poly last year. 

You guys stick to thinking your run defense is so wonderful when your defense played heavy on run d and left your cb's and safeties out on a island. Give coach credit it worked on some teams as there isn't a good run team or RB in the BSC. It would have been interesting to see you guys play Cal Poly last year.

That's the general philosophy of the defense; bring 5 to 6 guys consistently leaving 5 in coverage with zero coverage or cover 1 over the top. It's not unusual for many successful FBS defenses, including Stanford, Alabama, and Florida, to name a few. UND's passing defense was suspect due to the personnel in the backend. Thankfully, that's been improved this offseason.

Stop trying to troll. I think what you meant to say is not many teams that could pass, because if they could run, it would still play into the strength of the defensive philosophy. Get what I'm saying, Bison "the troll" Dan?

UND improved defensively, just get over it. Also, for a league that's not very good, it still got in 3 teams into the FCS playoffs. That's not too bad if you ask me. There's a difference between good and bad, just so you know.

• Upvote 3

That's the general philosophy of the defense; bring 5 to 6 guys consistently leaving 5 in coverage with zero coverage or cover 1 over the top. It's not unusual for many successful FBS defenses, including Stanford, Alabama, and Florida, to name a few. UND's passing defense was suspect due to the personnel in the backend. Thankfully, that's been improved this offseason.

Stop trying to troll. I think what you meant to say is not many teams that could pass, because if they could run, it would still play into the strength of the defensive philosophy. Get what I'm saying, Bison "the troll" Dan?

UND improved defensively, just get over it. Also, for a league that's not very good, it still got in 3 teams into the FCS playoffs. That's not too bad if you ask me. There's a difference between good and bad, just so you know.

Dan's just bored because the Jacks fan board must be down since he trolls that site right Dan? Or is just this site you troll.

I'd say your EWU score would be a good guide line as they were the only good BSC team last year.

Thanks for your injection into the conversation.

Correct on the philosophy.  I think we are in process of addressing size and athleticism in our secondary, which will improve the pass coverage.  I would like to see our DBs position up as to man press on a blitz, but maybe 25% of the time bail and play man on the upfield shoulder.  Then the automatic offense check to a fade route would be an easy break-up or interception.  So, I love the pressure and the blitzing........but I don't like being predictable in the coverage techniques.

So anyway, looks like we should be in for a much improved 2015 season. Can we pick up where we left off, or will it be a slow start again?

Our schedule helps us with tough OOC games (minus Drake) to get things in order for conference play I think Bubba will get this teams ducks in order and make a serious playoff run.

Cal Poly was tough for everyone to stop, they led the nation in rushing for crying out loud.  It would have been interesting to see NDSU play Cal Poly last year also.

I'm not sure I agree that there are no good run teams in the Big Sky.

Montana St. was 7th in the nation in rushing.  They mustered 62 yards on the ground against North Dakota in Bozeman.

Montana racked up a whopping 68 rushin yards against FU in the Fargodome.  We gave up 42 rushing yards to them in the Alerus.

You picked about the only component of the UND football program to talk smack about that doesn't warrant it.  Well played.

Missouri State?>?  No Smack just my opinion.  So your saying your run d is better?  The griz game is that the one JJ only played a little over 1 quarter? 

Missouri State?>? No Smack just my opinion. So your saying your run d is better? The griz game is that the one JJ only played a little over 1 quarter?

I didn't say our run D was better, but it is good, just my opinion.  You seem to think it is overated.  You said there are no good running teams in the Big Sky.  There were in fact more Big Sky teams in the Top 10 in rushing last season than there were MVFC teams.  In fact, Big Sky teams gain on average 180 rush yards per game while MVFC teams gain 164 yards per game, so it appears as though the Big Sky is actually the more physical, smash mouth, conference where teams focus on establishing a run game.

Western Illinois?>?...........yep Missouri St ran all over us.  And the only team that gave up more rush yards to the Leathernecks last season than NDSU was Valparaiso.  So what does all that mean?  It means we didn't do a good job stopping the run on the day we played Missouri St., and NDSU didn't do a good job of stopping the run on the day they played Western Illinois.

• Upvote 4

There are no statistics that can be directly compared between teams on different levels. Truthfully, this sort of direct comparison is difficult even between conferences. For instance, directly comparing Wyoming to Ohio State or Alabama, in this manner, would also make little sense. And, I'm quite certain that even you would object to UND's stats being directly compared to MSU-Mankato's, or any other DII school.