SiouxSports.com Forum

Attendance Issues

Cratter

you must have missed the part where I said I'm good with a change, just not midseason when there is no one internal to step in and take over.  At the end of the season would be fine.... If we don't win the BSC tourney. 

I also don't think a midseason change does anything for the program. I guess I am just sick and tired of waiting for something to happen with this team under Jones. I have lost confidence that this team will do much of anything under his "leadership".

your number is wrong. 2,953

He probably got his number from the GF Herald:

And that’s what the Bison did Friday night at The Betty, rallying down the stretch to take a 69-67 win over rival UND before 2,593 fans in perhaps the loudest environment for a men’s home basketball game in the Fighting Hawks’ Division I era.

Which appears to be a typing error. 

I always assumed these game were easy sellouts, especially with the size of the Betty. Guess not. 

Edited by Cratter

Must be the actual attendance?

But there was only a couple hundred seats left according to Ticketmaster before the game. Unless NDSU received and allotment and returned some last minute. 

Either of the assistants may be an upgrade. If the season goes negative, promote either of them.  Anything that will show the players change is coming. These guys know how talented they are and are not dumb.  They see the errors being made and are getting tired of it.  If something has to be done midseason and isn't, I would then be worried about defection at that point more than if/when a new coach is brought in. The players want a coach that will listen, instruct, be consistent, and get them wins.  You know, the things a good coach does
Edited by niouxsiouxfan
I don't know how I fd up quotes

Must be the actual attendance?

But there was only a couple hundred seats left according to Ticketmaster before the game. Unless NDSU received and allotment and returned some last minute. 

I think there was a typo somewhere along the line.  The women's game was quoted as Attendance: 2,564

The two crowds didn't look the same size to me.  The write up on the game says 2,953 on the right hand side.   Feel like the box score has a typo, because no way were there that many empty seats at the mens game.  And no way the women had the same turnout.

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=58563&SPID=6388&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210579389&DB_OEM_ID=13500

Edited by nodak651

I think there was a typo somewhere along the line.  The women's game was quoted as Attendance: 2,564

The two crowds didn't look the same size to me.  The write up on the game says 2,953 on the right hand side.   Feel like the box score has a typo, because no way were there that many empty seats at the mens game.  And no way the women had the same turnout.

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=58563&SPID=6388&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210579389&DB_OEM_ID=13500

Yeah I used the Herald number, that is what I read the day I posted.  I see the game write up on the UND site has the 2,953 while the official box score has 2,593.  I would tend believe the 2,953 though now.  Agree it didn't seem like there were 500 empty seats.  Still surprised there  were any empty seats for this game though.

• 1 year later...

I just updated the attendance wiki.

This year had the highest attendance since 2006-07. 

Most everyone here knows that I am a big backer of being in the Big Sky Conference.  So it would seem justified (from my perspective) to point out that we had two Big Sky teams out-draw our "sacred-rival" NDSU at home this season.  ;)

Point is, it really doesn't matter who you play.  Everyone loves a winner and will come out to see them play!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bincitysioux said:

I just updated the attendance wiki.

This year had the highest attendance since 2006-07. 

Most everyone here knows that I am a big backer of being in the Big Sky Conference.  So it would seem justified (from my perspective) to point out that we had two Big Sky teams out-draw our "sacred-rival" NDSU at home this season.  ;)

Point is, it really doesn't matter who you play.  Everyone loves a winner and will come out to see them play!

I love cherry picked stats.

8 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Betty would seem way more legit.  Bleachers currently hold 700 combined.  If we doubled the height, the betty capacity would get up to 4,000.  Don't even have to do both in the same year.

betty2.jpg

That looks good!

13 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Betty would seem way more legit.  Bleachers currently hold 700 combined.  If we doubled the height, the betty capacity would get up to 4,000.  Don't even have to do both in the same year.

betty2.jpg

I wonder how close it would get to the new video boards.. looks good though!

• 2 years later...

Home attendance numbers are in for the 2019-2020 season.  I have updated the WIKI.

The men averaged 1,551 per home game.  That's the lowest figure for attendance that I can find data for going back nearly 30 years.

The women averaged 1,488 fans per game, which is the second lowest in 20 years or so.  They drew a paltry 1,200-ish while hosting NDSU.

Attendance on the men's side is down about 17% since joining the Summit League.  Which is SO weird, because I was told the Betty would be packed to the rafters once we started playing all those I-29 teams!

:D:D:0:0:wink::wink:

• Upvote 2

Lots to be built on but as has been shared the schedule does not help - it goes from nothing at home to 4 games in 4 days. It is hard to believe they can't improve on their scheduling to make it more fan friendly. The NCC had it right, Friday/Saturday doubleheaders and attendance was great.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Lots to be built on but as has been shared the schedule does not help - it goes from nothing at home to 4 games in 4 days. It is hard to believe they can't improve on their scheduling to make it more fan friendly. The NCC had it right, Friday/Saturday doubleheaders and attendance was great.  

100% this...….back in the day we went to both games both nights.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Agreed.  The one thing that the Summit League needs to seriously consider is moving to doubleheaders for the mens and the womens games.  I am sure there are situations even worse at other schools in the Summit League (or other mid major conferences) with similar attendance woes.  Sure schools want two gates so get more revenue, but I think they would get more fans and more revenue if they had a two game doubleheader to go to instead of trying to get fans to attend just a women's game on a Sunday afternoon in February.

If and When St Thomas comes to the Summit and the return of UMKC, the Summit League will have 10 teams and travel partners for every school.  The League will then be able to do a balanced schedule and be able to make a conference schedule where every team plays Thursdays and Saturdays.  This also would help attendance as fans would know that the games are consistently on the same night.

Thursday/Saturday games, Mens/Womens doubleheaders.  That's my Solution.

14 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Agreed.  The one thing that the Summit League needs to seriously consider is moving to doubleheaders for the mens and the womens games.  I am sure there are situations even worse at other schools in the Summit League (or other mid major conferences) with similar attendance woes.  Sure schools want two gates so get more revenue, but I think they would get more fans and more revenue if they had a two game doubleheader to go to instead of trying to get fans to attend just a women's game on a Sunday afternoon in February.

If and When St Thomas comes to the Summit and the return of UMKC, the Summit League will have 10 teams and travel partners for every school.  The League will then be able to do a balanced schedule and be able to make a conference schedule where every team plays Thursdays and Saturdays.  This also would help attendance as fans would know that the games are consistently on the same night.

Thursday/Saturday games, Mens/Womens doubleheaders.  That's my Solution.

Makes sense but women have to play first.

Went to both the games at NDSU. Men's game drew a good crowd. Women's followed with maybe 25% of the attendance. Embarrassing....even for NDSU.