SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Athlete Stipends

nodak651

Colorado St is adding women's lax. The bizon might have a sport with which to join the Mountain West as lakes wants, and take a big step in solving their Title IX issues. Fresno and San Diego St have it too, but I guess bison board policy prohibits air travel unless its to Indiana or Oklahoma.

ConcordiaSP is adding it too, but at a DII level.

Lacrosse is expensive.

They have a strong women's club hockey team, so clearly there is interest and ability there. They'd be admitted to the WCHA easily. Despite the outcry, that seems more likely than lacrosse does. At the moment, I don't see anything being added until students start showing more "interest". Or at least that's my personal opinion.

Denver's lacrosse expenses are $2,028,585.

In the 2013 lacrosse season Denver had $1 higher in revenue over it's $2.03 million expenses.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-05-23/notre-dame-brings-lacrosse-s-lowest-revenue-into-ncaa-semifinals

Here's a map that shows how much college's spend od D1 lacrosse.

http://diycollegerankings.com/much-colleges-spend-d1-mens-lacrosse-programs-2/7471/

Denver bought a world class coach from Princeton for a price, is a Big East member in that sport, and has expensive tuition and room and board. A public like Albany spends a third of that.

They have a strong women's club hockey team, so clearly there is interest and ability there. They'd be admitted to the WCHA easily. Despite the outcry, that seems more likely than lacrosse does. At the moment, I don't see anything being added until students start showing more "interest". Or at least that's my personal opinion.

But do we want them in the WCHA?

Denver bought a world class coach from Princeton for a price, is a Big East member in that sport, and has expensive tuition and room and board. A public like Albany spends a third of that.

And look where Albany is located, lacrosse is in the East. If you're outside of the East you will be spending $1 million to $2 million and most likely loosing money.

Concessions?  That is supposedly how most events make most of their money.

I'd assume that since UND rents the Alerus Center and doesn't own it nor run the concession stands, there is some sort of concessions profit sharing.  I'm sure its a nice add-on but I doubt the it is big enough to significantly move the needle.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...